DAW and synth engine advice needed

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I'm looking to get started with a DAW and synth engine. My use case is live performance (a lot of 80s) via playing backing tracks, assigning the right instruments to the tracks, then muting some instruments to play those parts live.

Equipment I have and am considering getting:
Have:
Macbook Air M1 with 8gb ram/ 256 gb ssd
Kurzweil pc3 le8 synth / workstation
Casio cdp88 s360 (used mainly for composing/traveling)

Considering:
Arturia v collection 8 or 9(don't want to buy new until I'm comfortable)
Reaper or Ableton live

Anything seem missing or wrong with this setup?
Thanks!

For me personally, interface is far more important than sound quality or emulation accuracy in a live situation. If I were to start playing live gigs again, I’d get a Maschine+ and be done with it. Between the emulations and sample libraries it comes with, you should be able to nail anything from the 80s, and have a very good interface to interact with. Use the PC3 for keyboard control and maybe additional sounds. Alternately, you could use Live and Push to do similar things to what a Maschine+ does, but then you have to drag your laptop out.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thanks I'll definitely look at it, though I'm more used to the plugin and daw setup.

Ableton has been used by live musicians for decades, even on the crappy computers from the 00's. Nothing else has that track record. Arturia V Collection will give you every sound you're looking for you so you wouldn't need Ableton Suite or any other sound sources.

raphaelc44 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:14 pm Hi I'm looking to get started with a DAW and synth engine.
Just for your info: What you are really looking for is a synth not a "synth engine". A synth "engine" rather refers to the code or algorithms used in the synth, not the synth itself.

If youre looking at getting Arturia, you may want to upgrade your computer ram (if you can) 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

For the DAW part: Isn‘t Mainstage from Apple or e.g VST live from Steinberg exactly made for being used in live-shows. Don‘t own it, thus another guy need to give his experience.

Yes, you’re right. That’s probably the best recommendation.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”