Refresh MIDI Device Setup

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, I know, another FR!
Is it possible to have some way of refreshing this list? Currently, I have to restart MuLab if I add a device whilst MuLab is running.
Thank you.

It does refresh it each time you open the MIDI setup. No need to restart MuLab.

Oh that's strange then! Whenever I start MuLab and decide to switch on my beatstep pro, it doesn't appear in the list until a restart. Any idea why?

Same here -- I just tried:
- unplugging my USB MIDI keyboard
- starting MuLab
- opening the MIDI Setup screen
- seeing no USB MIDI keyboard, as expected
- closing the MIDI Setup screen
- plugging in my USB MIDI keyboard
- opening the MIDI Setup screen
- seeing no USB MIDI keyboard - which should have been there, right?

Oh, what it does do is put the device back on the drop down.

It doesn't restore the device into the proper position in the set up, though, as expected.

Part of the confusion may come from, for Audio, that the device driver for the selected ASIO device is kept as the current device even if the hardware isn't detected. (I realise the two subsystems are vastly different.)

Thanks for testing. So you're saying that it works for you, is that right?

For me, I start MuLab with the Beatstep Pro switched off, then switch it on and go to MIDI Setup, but it doesn't appear in the dropdown. That was my issue. I didn't expect it to automatically be selected or anything, would be handy, but it's just that it doesn't even show up in the list of connected devices.

Are you using the default Windows MIDI class-compliant USB device driver or something else?

I have no idea, there is no option for MuLab to choose, is there?
I have several drivers installed for each piece of hardware I have, is that what you mean?
For example, the Beatstep Pro has it's own software and driver, as does the Akai MPK Mini Plus.
Thinking about it, I have been having issues with the MPK too. After a short while, 10 or 20 minutes perhaps, it starts it's own little screensaver. If I start Mulab after this time, the MPK shows up but seems to be in power saving mode. So I disabled this in my PC's Device Manager and it solved the issue, but now, since a Windows update, it makes no difference whether the Power Saving box is checked or not, I have to unplug/replug the MPK and restart MuLab to get it recognised.

Are you saying it's all to do with this Windows MIDI driver?
How do I switch to another MIDI driver? Do I need to purchase an external sound card or something?

Go to Windows Device Manager, "Sound, video and game controllers", double-click the device and it should say "Manufacturer: (Generic USB Audio)". I've an AKAI LPK25 and a KORG nanoKONTROL (version 1) and both use the generic driver -- and both have their own configuration software.

Thanks for your help :tu:
Ok, so there are a few items here...
Devices 1.PNG
Then I looked at hidden devices...
Devices 2.PNG
Tbh, I don't know what I'm doing here! I mean, I get what it's showing, and that devices greyed are disconnected, but I'm unsure what you're getting at. Are you saying that if a device shows up here then it has it's own driver and is NOT using the windows generic one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double-click the device and it should say "Manufacturer: (Generic USB Audio)

Beatstep and MPK Mini Plus show Generic USB Audio as you stated. So, what does that mean?
These both have their own configuration software as yours does I assume.

Did you follow exactly the same steps I listed above when you were doing it? If not, please say exactly what you did do.
sl23 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:59 pmBeatstep and MPK Mini Plus show Generic USB Audio as you stated. So, what does that mean?
It means they use the class-compliant driver, so I'd expect them to work the same way... doesn't mean they do...

Thanks for your help again. No, that's my point. I haven't disconnected them, they stay connected. Though the Beatstep has a power button which is off mostly, until I want to use it. Which I suppose is then following the steps above. But the MPK is connected and on at all times. Yet it doesn't register in MuLab. I have asked Akai and they were no help at all, so I've just lived with the fact I have to disconnect it every time I want to use it. But the Beatstep is different as it has a power switch, which is effectively disconnecting it, isn't it? If so, then the answer to your question is YES. But it doesn't appear in the drop down which is my problem. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it.

So, it could be a windows issue then? Doesn't surprise me! I've already had file associations not work, at all, a PC destroyed, and many other minor issues all from windows update!

Return to “MUTOOLS”