Thunderbolt 4 on Windows and outdated MOTU

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since you added thunder bolt expansion cards, are these cards enabled in the bios?
I believe, these are set to disable by default.
Otherwise, they will work as USB 4.
Regards.
maanga

e.no wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:51 am
Dikkop wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:02 pm The Startech TBT3TBTADAP however: "This adapter is not compatible with Mini DisplayPort / DisplayPort monitors or Thunderbolt 4 computers".
I have an Apple adapter, as previously stated, that gets ignored entirely by the Thunderbolt card, but someone on Reddit recommended the Startech adapter which works fine for him. If you order with a place that lets you safely return the item, just try it out and send it back in case it doesn't work?
Could you share the link to this topic? I cannot find it on Reddit.

Dikkop wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:50 am Could you share the link to this topic? I cannot find it on Reddit.
Somewhat hidden here in comments:https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineeri ... irect_avb/

I have 2x16A+1x24Ai and some ADAT channels which was working perfectly on Thunderbolt 3 with the Apple Adapter on the older AM4 system, but with updating to Thunderbolt 4 with a newer AM5 Motherboard they were not working anymore.
The reason because the Motu-Cards are Thunderbolt 1 cards - so they are not compatible with Thunderbolt 4!
The 2 options I've tried are using USB 2 or switching to RME Digiface AVB with USB 3.0.
I switched to RME Digiface AVB and I am happy with their drivers because of better performance and stability than the Motu drivers - so it's working better than before.

tomtom1234 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:36 pm
I switched to RME Digiface AVB and I am happy with their drivers because of better performance and stability than the Motu drivers - so it's working better than before.
I am planning to follow this same route. I have 828ES, LP32 and Switch and want to expand with 8M or 828ES. As you already have a similar setup: Does the routing options still work with/via the Motu software? In my case the Switch should be connecte to the Digiface.

Yes, you can route on the Motu Interface directly (every interface has it's own setup) and "connect" the AVB-Streams to the digiface AVB and/or route also within RME-TotalMix. Or because TotalMix also has a DAW-Mode where all I/Os are directly connected to a DAW without any routing.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”