the most authentic sounding filter plugin?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I forgot to recommend Mobilohm too. It's technically a phaser but it's so powerful it can happily be used as a filter. TBH you'd be hard pressed to differentiate it from traditional filters when you crank up the res, and it has 4 individual phasers for some real FSU type sounds. It doesn't really sound like any hw filter and isn't modelled on any, so I suppose it doesn't count in the OP question? (Though didn't the Virus have some kind of phaser filter in it somewhere, or am I making that up?)

kritikon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:57 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:36 pm A filter is a glorified eq. I don’t get the OP question 🤷‍♂️
You're either deliberately obtuse or stupid, then :shrug:
Neither, but thanks for caring.
Think about it. All a filter in its purest form is doing, is modifying a tone at, above or below a set frequency. Add in all the bells and whistles like saturation, drive, phasing blah blah and you’re moving away from a filter in its purest form. People are allowed different opinions to you do you realise? 🤷‍♂️👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

You can have any opinion you want, but I question why you even visit kvr when it seems it's only to shit over as many people asking serious questions about their music-making as you can. You make it a habit. Can't remember the last post you made that wasn't a slap down or insult or something negative. Seriously, get a life somewhere else if you hate everyone and everything here so much. You seem to think everyone here is an idiot who needs some trolling. Well if we're all idiots here at kvr, that includes you. More so for continually returning to somewhere you despise just so you can insult them. That's actually really sad.

Countless comments about one ping only and yet I’m the troll. You need to have a word with yourself mate. My post above is actually my thoughts, but because it’s different to yours, you go on an insult fest and tell me to leave and I’m sad. Apologies to the OP, but his outrageous hurtful post needed a response. As you were.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

We all know the only troll here is the OP synthhelp: starting a vague topic and then coldly walking away...

Oh, and Mr D might be a troll as well, being guilty of the necro.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Never owned it myself, but I always thought Fabfilter Volcano sounds amazing and is a very creative and powerful tool.

To my taste Tone2 filters sound authentic - old stuff,but dope .
Achieving right character is complex task and just adding filter on top isnt magic solution.
Acid filter is one of the smoothest and need distortion so to have 303 style distorted resonance.
If just add it on top of a track or buss,can't feel it as colorization,but more likely will remove some harshness..
Filter topic is endless,if you are filter addict like me,just combinations of 12,18,24 db gives so many different variations of color :):):)
Lately i use Melda and Toneboosters filters to add some lite touch.
The Drop and Arturia ones are nice,but don't need them badly enough so to spend 200-300 euro rigth now.
But in case i feel i need them,probably will buy Pigments synth with all the build in filters and the drop as external touch.
Luckily for budget producers there is some really nice freebies out there.
PA FREE are must have imho.
But again relying only on filters isn't good idea,thereisa lot of information in audio stream of every track,which could be manipulated differently and there is more appropriate tools for that,such as saturatos,exciters so on.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ilter.html
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ilter.html
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arturia Filter MINI.
You are currently reading my signature.

synthhelp wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:19 am what vst sounds the best for filters and gets the most real to hardware sound? there's loads of different sounding hardware filters out there which are different depending on the synth, people often buy a synth because of the filter. they can range completely from "buttery smooth" to "screamy" and "acid" what vst plugins really nail the sound of an analogue filter the best for each different style? i'm looking to buy some filter plugins and trying to see the best options.
I know it isn't the best but Ableton Autofilter gets the most use for me.

Does it sound like hardware?

I really don't know and don't care but it has several filter types to try with different color options which usually works for me.

Shaperbox is another one, but it is more than a filter but sounds good to me as well.

deleted
Each DAW has a different sound.

The filters by Arturia are all very good to get a colourful filter sound and very different to many simple filter plugins.

Dunno about authenticity, but the polyverse filterverse is pretty nice. :tu:

Possibly not super critical for those having the usual suspects in the area of modulated filters.

Sorry if already mentioned, but you can use Model 72 as an effect, which I think lets you go through the filter. If not, you can definitely do it within Softube Modular.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”