How to create this resonator(?) hit

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been trying to find the source of this type of sound. It's found in this clip, specifically the shield hitting sound: (timestamp 00:04) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-XcDpABno&t=4

And in the song Fossora, by Bjork, in the background somewhat, more audible in the beginning: (timestamp 00:22)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS0SzSE9Fic&t=22

Does anyone know how to reproduce this kind of sound? I've tried with a ladder filter with resonation at 100% and pitch bending in Vital, along with soft clip distortion at 100% drive, but so far I've had no luck achieving it. They're remarkably similar too, which leads me to believe they may be simpler to reproduce/have no pitch bending whatsoever.

Vital Presets.zip
Use these two presets
For the Impact use around note C4
and for the SFX use B5
Now delay the SFX layer to start a 16th note-ish later.

It sounds a bit to clean but it's a start
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Grouping these and applying some distortion on top it does get close, but there's a characteristic timbre I think it's missing. Thanks for the contribution, though.

yeah definitely.
The problem is that its at least two sounds and the big "explosion" masks much of the sound.
If it was clearer to hear then it should be more doable.

In the Bjork song it's just an instrument so perhaps google if there are some recordings?

I found some guy ripping another song of the album into dolby atmos stems, but nothing on that song specifically.
Additionally, the guys responsible for the beats are Gabber Modus Operandi, so I searched for stuff like Gabber Resonator and stuff like that, but no dice. I have no experience with gabber whatsoever so I can't tell what they could have used for this, but it does just sound like a high pitched 808 kick with some specific distortion I can't pin down.

You are way overthinking it. Resonators are cool and all but most sounds are created in a straight forward way.
You could separate the Bjork song into stems (online or Ultimate Voice Remover 5)
Or maybe even try to split the cartoon audio?

Return to “Sound Design”