Scandinavian alphabets mnotepad?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

martin-meldaproduction wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:39 pm Hello guys, did quickly check and it looks like it is a DAW restriction, we do not filter any characters in MNotepad. Can confirm that it does not work in Reaper, but works well for instance in Bitwig and Cubase 13 under MS Windows 10/11. Also it looks like you can paste the chars there, then DAW is not limiting it. We will look in more detail and let you know.
I noticed from a reply above, that the spacebar worked fine in Bitwig 2.4.3 and MNotepad 15.x.

This is not the case for the current Bitweig and MNotepad. The spacebar is stolen by Bitwig and does not go to the VST. Which renders taking notes useless.

This said, I will ask Bitwig support if there's a method that can be called from a VST to tell Bitwig to leave the spacebar alone. After all, Bitwig allows the use of the spacebar for writing text in their own note space for every track.

martin-meldaproduction wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:39 pm Hello guys, did quickly check and it looks like it is a DAW restriction, we do not filter any characters in MNotepad. Can confirm that it does not work in Reaper, but works well for instance in Bitwig and Cubase 13 under MS Windows 10/11. Also it looks like you can paste the chars there, then DAW is not limiting it. We will look in more detail and let you know.
Thanks for looking into this but I can't paste special characters into MNotepad within reaper 7.11 and Melda 16.11. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

martin-meldaproduction wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:39 pm Hello guys, did quickly check and it looks like it is a DAW restriction
If that's the case then there must exist a workaround because CodeFN42 VSTNotepad don't have that restriction in Reaper 6 / Win7 ... but MNotepad 16.11 does.

@Kr3eM,

Yes, there are some workarounds, and one of them is if the DAW supports running the plugin in bridged mode. It means as a separate process "outside" the DAW, as CodeFN42 VSTNotepad does (it runs purely in bridged mode) with all its advantages and disadvantages. You can check this in the task manager. Some DAWs are running the plugins by default in bridged mode (i.e., Bitwig), and in some DAWs, you can switch this behavior inside the DAW for each plugin - i.e., FL Studio has this bridged mode option.

So, each DAW has a list of allowed characters which you can type; some are reserved for DAW control and disallowed for typing.

@ Hexpa: I meant i.e., you can write text with "Scandinavian" characters in MS Windows Notepad, copy them with Ctrl+C, and then you can paste it into MNotepad with the right click and paste. Then you can see we do not block any characters inside MNotepad, but unfortunately, DAWs do...

martin-meldaproduction wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:36 am @ Hexpa: I meant i.e., you can write text with "Scandinavian" characters in MS Windows Notepad, copy them with Ctrl+C, and then you can paste it into MNotepad with the right click and paste. Then you can see we do not block any characters inside MNotepad, but unfortunately, DAWs do...
I demonstrated that by typing directly into MNotepad and showing the screen shot in this thread.

Although that means nothing and MNotepad becomes useless for taking notes when it's not possible to use the space bar. Eg :

AlthoughthatmeansnothingandMNotepadbecomesuselessfortakingnoteswhenit'snotpossibletousethespacebar.

Doesn't work with my cubase13/win 10

martin-meldaproduction wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:36 am @Kr3eM,

Yes, there are some workarounds, and one of them is if the DAW supports running the plugin in bridged mode. It means as a separate process "outside" the DAW, as CodeFN42 VSTNotepad does (it runs purely in bridged mode) with all its advantages and disadvantages. You can check this in the task manager. Some DAWs are running the plugins by default in bridged mode (i.e., Bitwig), and in some DAWs, you can switch this behavior inside the DAW for each plugin - i.e., FL Studio has this bridged mode option.

So, each DAW has a list of allowed characters which you can type; some are reserved for DAW control and disallowed for typing.

@ Hexpa: I meant i.e., you can write text with "Scandinavian" characters in MS Windows Notepad, copy them with Ctrl+C, and then you can paste it into MNotepad with the right click and paste. Then you can see we do not block any characters inside MNotepad, but unfortunately, DAWs do...
Yes, I can confirm that right click and paste in MNotepad allows it to accept special characters. I was trying with keyboard shortcuts and that doesn't work. Thanks.

MNotepad is useless to take notes since there are no spacebar allowed.

mevla wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:34 am MNotepad is useless to take notes since there are no spacebar allowed.
In FL Studio space works fine, however other keys are not allowed.
You can try to click on the keyboard icon on the right, and a new window will open. Then try typing there, as it sometimes helps to accept more keys.

vanerio wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:46 pm In FL Studio space works fine, however other keys are not allowed. You can try to click on the keyboard icon on the right, and a new window will open. Then try typing there, as it sometimes helps to accept more keys.
Yes, that works. The new window created from inside MNotepad belongs to MNotepad and as such is out of the scope for Bitwig. Anything that Bitwig could interfere with regarding a VST does not extend to windows created from within a VST, unless the designer makes it so. In this case the new window is a simple regular window with standard editing capabilities over which Bitwig has nothing to do.

Cubase 13 win 10 here, pasting scandinavian alphabets works, but not typing them.

About allowing the spacebar when writing text : if you are using Linux and yabridge, there's a nifty trick I found out, which is actually a yabridge built-in : press shift when entering the MNotepad GUI with the mouse. This will allow spacebars to go to MNotepad instead of the DAW.

Return to “MeldaProduction”