Zebralette 3 Oscillator Effects Discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can use the menu once and then start to type the names of each OscFX, and press enter... but that is kind of counter productive.

I'll try to figure out of reviving the keyboard control project can add a way to simply step through all options with, say +/- keys. (Cursor keys are used to set focus to other controls... unlike tab/shift-tab one can move through our UIs in X and Y direction)

Quick Q - are there more osc FX that you have finished but weren't wanting to test in this version of Zebralette 3 beta, and/or will future osc FX that wind up in the full version of Z3 find its way to Zebralette 3?

I only ask because I plan on getting Z3 as a full synth, but for making synthesized drums with realtime modualtion for variety Zebralette 3 is becoming a quick favorite of mine and easy on the CPU with 6+ instances, and I'm hoping that lette 3 gets more support.

So, yes, there are more OscFX that didn't make the cut, and some that may be obvious candidates. E.g. we have no OscFX that sets or offsets the phase of harmonics.

However, with all that is going on, I do not know when or if I find time to do more OscFX, let alone specify what kind of OscFX I'd go for. The possibility is there, but no concrete plans.

In any case, every new OscFX that we make for Z3 will very likely also be in Zebralette 3. I can't think of any kind of OscFX that makes sense in Z3 but not in Zebralette 3.

Hi. I like the Global delay effect but I think the reverb needs a better algo that cuts through. IMO. Thanks!

Urs wrote: ↑Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:36 pm You can use the menu once and then start to type the names of each OscFX, and press enter... but that is kind of counter productive.

I'll try to figure out of reviving the keyboard control project can add a way to simply step through all options with, say +/- keys. (Cursor keys are used to set focus to other controls... unlike tab/shift-tab one can move through our UIs in X and Y direction)
Perhaps a simpler solution: an arrow graphic element next to the Osc Fx menu box? You hit the arrow with a click and you flick through fx types (without the drop down menu opening)

very crude mock up
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 17.12.04.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aero+ wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:11 pm Perhaps a simpler solution: an arrow graphic element next to the Osc Fx menu box? You hit the arrow with a click and you flick through fx types (without the drop down menu opening)

very crude mock up Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 17.12.04.png
mouse-wheel works

pdxindy wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:24 pm
aero+ wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:11 pm Perhaps a simpler solution: an arrow graphic element next to the Osc Fx menu box? You hit the arrow with a click and you flick through fx types (without the drop down menu opening)

mouse-wheel works
I had tried it but it didn't work, I tried again after your post and yes it does work, in my case it didn't because I was clicking first on the OSC FX and then using a mouse wheel, so, thank you :)

The downside of not clicking/selecting/arrow first is that you may inadvertently change the FX depth if the mouse pointer goes out of the FX box, also maybe not everyone has a mouse wheel?
Anyway I can easily get used to it, it's perfectly fine solution for me ;)

aero+ wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:11 pm
Urs wrote: ↑Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:36 pm You can use the menu once and then start to type the names of each OscFX, and press enter... but that is kind of counter productive.

Perhaps a simpler solution: an arrow graphic element next to the Osc Fx menu box? You hit the arrow with a click and you flick through fx types (without the drop down menu opening)

+1
I was just about to mention this. Thankfully the mouse wheel works (as mentioned above.)

When experimenting with different options, few things break the flow more than having to continually open dropdown menus to scroll past option's 1-7 again when you're just trying to go from 7 to 8. :wink:

Related to the additional OSC effects question, the more the merrier obviously, but as each is quite flexible I think we could get much more mileage out of what's already there if we could save OSC FX presets (perhaps including modulation options/routing if the matrix isn't already full.)

Also, with A/B states for the OSC FX section (a bit like the the curve morphing) we could morph between them using a single modulation source (MW etc.)

I'd also like to be able to bypass OSC FX by clicking (mod+click?) on their heading. That way there's no guessing what it originally was when you revisit a sound later (unlike when choosing the none option.) Bypass is simpler when using automation lanes too.

As for the main Reverb/Delay, I quite like them, but wish the width went form -100 to +100.
All Vahalla plugins have this and reversing the stereo image on the web signal (-100) can add more variety to the sound.

Also:
  • Ducking for spacious sounds while also allowing the dry to cut through better.
  • Tempo-synced pre-delay (especially important for short/rhythmic sounds.)
  • Pitch-shift for delay or verb w/ mix amount. Even a crappy resampled mode could be seen as a character adding feature rather than a bug. Lofi shimmering reverbs, octave down sub rumbling in the next HZ score, or even just slightly de-tuning the wet signal...
  • With a simple IR loader as an effect type, realistic rooms, delays, rich sound design textures, speaker/mic/amp simulation etc. could all become possible (in a way that nicely complements Zebra's apologetically modern and digital aesthetic.)

I often find myself using FX1 to initially shape, then FX2 take "stuff over the top" and then wanting FX3 to finally shape the sound to something pleasant. If only we had FX3... So hereby requesting a third OSC FX. Of course, I recognize the danger in this request ... if only we had FX4, 5 etc. And no idea what Urs has in play for Zebra3 with endless more shaping effects that might make this request for ZL3 redundant...

Return to β€œu-he”