Event Monitor - No Audio Pin

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, "event monitor" does not have audio pins, which causes some problems. I have two rack modules - "instrument rack" passes audio to the "effect rack":
---
No Event Monitor.jpg
---
Loading "event monitor" to 1st slot removes rack's audio input pin (and the connection isn't automatically restored when the "event monitor" is removed). Very confusing - I have to use a 3rd party "midi monitor" instead.
---
Event Monitor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can route the audio in parallel inside a MUX I think?
MuLab_h2G8k7863v.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:42 am You can route the audio in parallel inside a MUX I think?
I have my MIDI events routed in parallel, but my audio needs serial connection. This is my scenario:

I use MuLab Plugin to host my vst synth + multi-effect (Infiltrator, Shaperbox etc). These effects need to receive a midi note to restart the loop when my DAW transport is not running. An audio signal from my synth goes to Infiltrator (serial routing to my effect rack), but synth doesn't pass MIDI events, so I also have parallel event connection to that rack. I made a "Send and Hold MIDI Note" MUX that sends C -2 note to the Infiltrator as long as I play, and it holds that note for specified amount of time (to keep the loop running when my hands are momentarily off my MIDI keyboard).

Here is the diagram (blue = events, orange=audio).
---
Signal Path.jpg

dakkra wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:42 am You can route the audio in parallel inside a MUX I think?
Aaaa, ok, I enlarged the picture and I think I now understand what you mean: loading an "audio pass-thru" mux to the first slot would prevent the audio pin from being removed. Yes, that would work, however, it would consume one of six available slots:)) Wouldn't be better if the rack itself had the audio pin always available, no matter what is loaded to the 1st slot?

If the rack had an audio in but the plugin in the first slot didn't, the audio wouldn't pass through, anyway.

pljones wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am If the rack had an audio in but the plugin in the first slot didn't, the audio wouldn't pass through, anyway.
I know, that's why I use a 3rd party midi monitor that pass audio thru. Normally, when you load various plugins and find out that one of them doesn't pass audio - you simply remove it and you've got your sound back. In this case, removing the plugin is not enough - you also need to reconnect the audio cable.

robert_p wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:44 am Aaaa, ok, I enlarged the picture and I think I now understand what you mean: loading an "audio pass-thru" mux to the first slot would prevent the audio pin from being removed. Yes, that would work, however, it would consume one of six available slots.
But you need such slot anyway to insert the event monitor.
So inserting the event monitor in a slot or inserting a muxed event monitor in a slot doesn't make a diff wrt slot consumption, right?

mutools wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:36 pm So inserting the event monitor in a slot or inserting a muxed event monitor in a slot doesn't make a diff wrt slot consumption, right?
That's true, but still it's a little inconvenient:
  • It's easier to find an event monitor among MuLab modules than to browse the user library to find the right Mux. (I often remove the event monitor and add it again as needed).
  • An additional mouse click is required to open the encapsulated event monitor (no front panel integration).
  • I can mistakenly load the event monitor into the 1st slot, then (after removing it) have to reconnect the audio cable.

Instead of all this complicated stuff, wouldn't it make more sense for the effect rack to simply pass audio through plugins which do not have audio connections, and to pass MIDI/events through plugins which do not have MIDI/event connections?

fde101 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:57 pm Instead of all this complicated stuff, wouldn't it make more sense for the effect rack to simply pass audio through plugins which do not have audio connections, and to pass MIDI/events through plugins which do not have MIDI/event connections?
Any foolproof solution would be appreciated;)
---
pass-thru.jpg

Return to “MUTOOLS”