Zebralette 3 Bug Reports

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Probably related to the existing click-reports:

I'm observing quite excessive bursts in the high frequency range, too. The range of the bursts correlates with DAW sample rate and engine resolution. Playing a C-2 at 192khz using the default preset/waveform with a resolution of 2khz results in explosive clicks of up to 40db above 25khz:

48khz for comparison:

Observed in Bitwig 4.10
Windows 10 22H2 64bit
i9 9900k, 64gb RAM
Nvidia RTX 4080, driver 551.31
RME UFX III, 512 samples (just to be sure)
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Z3 crashes when left open. In Logic Pro 10.8.1, M2 Max 32GB, with Z3 and Z2 open, when left alone (over night) Z3 crashes at some point i.e., module needs to be reloaded any work not saved is lost. Let me know what stats I can gather for you for your debugging.

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:48 pm So my bet is, the higher the partials, the louder interpolation noise. I think for extreme spectra with very loud partials in the top three or four octaves, we either need to use a more CPU intensive interpolation method, or we need to use a larger internal wavetable size. Both are manageable options.

When it happens without and OscFX, one can export the Wavetable and check if it's the same thing in Hive. Hive uses the same playback algorithm, pretty much.
Glad to hear about the potential fixes. I think a bit of an extra cpu-hit is a worthy price if that is needed.

For what it's worth, I did a comparison to Hive playback by creating a waveform with 16 sinewaves within a frame, no OscFx. In Zebralette 3 with normal -12 transpose, playing notes from the sixth octave and up results in the noise being noticable while in Hive the shape does not seem to produce it. The filters and fx in Hive were bypassed and volumes matched.
Interestingly, the sine is otherwise cleaner in Zebralette 3, whereas in Hive, a full spectrum of harmonics is very quietly there in the background. The wavetable also sounds similar to Hive in Serum for example.

Unfortunately I cannot test how this exported version of the wavetable behaves in Zebralette 3, as FL Studio crashes when I try to drag&drop the wavetable file. It seems that in this particular case, the export is a bit imprecise compared to the original wave created in Z3, so this test might have been useless. I can try again later with a different waveshape, when I have time.
Hopefully there is some relevant information here anyway.

Zebralette 3 runs very poorly in Digital Performer 11.31.
It's almost unusable on my Macbook pro M1 32GB.
Just playing 3 notes of the first patch "Additive Piano" and it's all crackles.
Same patch works fine in Logic

Mac os 14.1.2

Thanks for all the reports so far! FYI we always read and investigate them :-)

Zebralette 3 CLAP Rev15573 Linux x64, Bitwig Studio 5.1, Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon:
Double-clicking in the wavetable editor--either the small default view after the plugin is first opened, or the larger one accessed with the pencil icon button--doesn't always create a new point. However, if I first move an existing point or move a line segment between points, I can then double-click to create a new point.

Cubase Elements 11 Ver 11.0.40 in Windows 11:

Immediately after loading the plugin, the following message appears: "A fatal error has occurred. Please save ..."
No slider can be moved and no switch can be operated. Only the presets can be listened to.

rockingricky wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:57 pm Cubase Elements 11 Ver 11.0.40 in Windows 11:
Immediately after loading the plugin, the following message appears: "A fatal error has occurred. Please save ..."
This is one of the tough nuts we could not crack yet. It only happens for two or three Cubase users, and it does not happen on our test machines running Cubase on Windows.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Hi Tasmaniandevil, thanks for your quick answer. :hail:

Today I tried Zebralette again and would like to clarify my statements a little more.

- After the first start and after ignoring the error message, I cannot move sliders and buttons with the mouse, but I can open drop-down menus and select parameters.
- BUT: I can move sliders and buttons with the mouse wheel and reset the value to zero with a double-click.
- I can also save a new or modified sound.
- And I can also save the Cubase project with Zebralette, despite the error message at the beginning.

And here it comes: :ud:

After opening the saved project (this time without an error message), I can move all sliders and buttons as desired.

However, if I open another instance/track with Zebralette, the error message appears again and I can no longer move the buttons with the mouse (except with the mouse wheel). If I save the project and open it again, everything is back to normal. :shock:

Greetings Erich

Translated from German with DeepL.com (free version)

rockingricky wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:06 pm Today I tried Zebralette again and would like to clarify my statements a little more.
Hi Erich, thanks a lot for all those details, that might be very helpful in trying to track down this issue. It will be hard as long as we cannot reproduce it, but we'll figure it out.
Very interesting that it works when reopening a project, but not when loading a new instance of Zebralette.

Funny Undo/Grid X behaviour:

Change Grid X to something other than 16, let's say 20. Make some edits. Hit Undo and, as well as undoing the last edit, the grid reverts to the original X resolution of 16. Grid X will still indicate 20. This only affects Grid X and not Grid Y.

Windows 10, Live 11

hakey wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:14 am Funny Undo/Grid X behaviour:
Ha, yeah, undo/redo is still work in progress in some areas.

Windows 10 - VST3 - REV15573

Importing any WAV file, even the smallest one I can find, crashes every DAW I have - Reaper 7.01, FL Studio 21.2.3, Ableton Live Lite 11.3.22, and in Bitwig 5.1 it just crashes the plugin, not the whole DAW.

The only one I could get a log from was Ableton and here are the details from when I loaded the plugin until I started Ableton again after the crash:

2024-04-16T19:00:42.630108: info: VST3: Going to create: Zebralette3
2024-04-16T19:00:42.640395: info: VST3: plugin processor successfully loaded: u-he 'Zebralette3' v0.0.1 (cid: {D39D5B69-D6AF-42FA-1234-56785A334C45})
2024-04-16T19:00:42.686063: warning: VST3: setProcessing returned error: not implemented
2024-04-16T19:00:42.686134: error: VST3: couldn't connect to processor from edit controller
2024-04-16T19:00:42.695333: info: VST3: parameter count is 2245
2024-04-16T19:00:42.697315: info: VST3: Created: Zebralette3
2024-04-16T19:01:42.213949: info: #######################################
2024-04-16T19:01:42.214583: info: Started: Live 11.3.22 Build: 2024-02-29_86c4913d79
2024-04-16T19:01:42.214605: info: #######################################

EDIT: Adding more details - this is when dragging a file from the Windows file explorer. Dragging a file from my DAW browser does nothing at all

EDIT 2: I had to uninstall and delete the Zebralette3 data folder and now it's working.

Return to “u-he”