"Curl" works properly on Mac M1's but NOT on M2's - what did Apple change/break?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Apple's libcurl.lib in my plugins to register license codes with my server. The plugins are compiled as "universal binary" for x86 and native ARM 64. They have been in use for some time on Intel-macs and M1s with no reported issues.

But now it's been reported that they do NOT work on M2's unless run in Rosetta mode. The issue has to do with CURL (the plugins work in demo mode and once registered) but I can't debug it because I do not have an M2.

AFAIK, software that works on an M1 should also work on an M2. So what did Apple do here, with either the M2 hardware or OS Sonoma, that apparently broke backwards compatibility with CURL?

Yep, sure enough it seems Apple broke something with OS Sonoma: https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/739765

So, now what can I do? Seem to me APPLE needs to fix this, yes?

Yes, same here.
We needed to disable libcurl in our plugins.

TB-ProAudio wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:48 am Yes, same here.
We needed to disable libcurl in our plugins.
If you disabled libcurl does that mean you disabled your licensing system? If so, that is a terrible solution!

Did you report this on the Apple Developer forum? We can't be the only ones affected. Maybe if enough of us report it they will fix it.

Fender19 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:39 pm If you disabled libcurl does that mean you disabled your licensing system?
No license check, version check only.
So in the end it's no big deal.

TB-ProAudio wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:34 am So in the end it's no big deal.
I understand Pace/iLok is also having an issue with Sonoma, possibly also libcurl-related: https://unity.neuraldsp.com/t/ilok-maco ... ssue/13609.

"This issue affects plugins from all manufacturers protected by PACE / iLok when used with AU host DAWs such as Logic."

Apple broke backwards compatibility somewhere with Sonoma. IMO, this is a big deal.

Someone solved this issue ?

/edit: does not apply

I don't know the licensing, but can you include CURL in your distribution? I do know it's only 200k or so, probably less if you static link it.

Anyway, seems Apple really screwed the pooch with this update in many different areas.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 am I don't know the licensing, but can you include CURL in your distribution?
I found the curl stand-alone utility to be installed by default on most (if not all) popular operating systems: Windows, MacOs, various linux flavours... curl is sort of the only way to get other things installed on headless systems like docker containers that do have an internet connection but no internet browser and no one present at the console to do the clicking / typing.
For example, this is how to install homebrew, a popular package/installation manager for MacOs (and linux)

Code: Select all

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
First a check, the long text produced by `curl --manual` ends with:

AUTHORS / CONTRIBUTORS
       Daniel Stenberg is the main author, but the whole list of  contributors
       is found in the separate THANKS file.

https://curl.se
Let's have a look at the licensing text whether distribution is allowed:
curl.se/copyright wrote: Copyright - License
Curl and libcurl are true Open Source/Free Software and meet all definitions as such. It means that you are free to modify and redistribute all contents of the curl distributed archives. You may also freely use curl and libcurl in your commercial projects.

Curl and libcurl are licensed under the license below, which is inspired by MIT/X, but not identical.

COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE

Copyright (c) 1996 - 2024, Daniel Stenberg, daniel@haxx.se, and many contributors, 
see the THANKS file.

All rights reserved.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose with or 
without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this 
permission notice appear in all copies.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS 
OR IMPLIED,INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, 
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. 
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, 
DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR 
OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE 
USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall not be 
used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings in this 
Software without prior written authorization of the copyright holder.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:10 am
syntonica wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 am I don't know the licensing, but can you include CURL in your distribution?
I found the curl stand-alone utility to be installed by default on most (if not all) popular operating systems: Windows, MacOs, various linux flavours... curl is sort of the only way to get other things installed on headless systems like docker containers that do have an internet connection but no internet browser and no one present at the console to do the clicking / typing.
For example, this is how to install homebrew, a popular package/installation manager for MacOs (and linux)

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
First a check, the long text produced by `curl --manual` ends with:

AUTHORS / CONTRIBUTORS
       Daniel Stenberg is the main author, but the whole list of  contributors
       is found in the separate THANKS file.

https://curl.se
Let's have a look at the licensing text whether distribution is allowed:
curl.se/copyright wrote: Copyright - License
Curl and libcurl are true Open Source/Free Software and meet all definitions as such. It means that you are free to modify and redistribute all contents of the curl distributed archives. You may also freely use curl and libcurl in your commercial projects.

Curl and libcurl are licensed under the license below, which is inspired by MIT/X, but not identical.

COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE

Copyright (c) 1996 - 2024, Daniel Stenberg, daniel@haxx.se, and many contributors, 
see the THANKS file.

All rights reserved.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose with or 
without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this 
permission notice appear in all copies.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS 
OR IMPLIED,INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, 
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. 
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, 
DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR 
OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE 
USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall not be 
used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings in this 
Software without prior written authorization of the copyright holder.
Bert! I never knew you were an AI!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Certainly! :borg:

syntonica wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 am I don't know the licensing, but can you include CURL in your distribution? I do know it's only 200k or so, probably less if you static link it.
I guess that's possible but I don't want my customers to have to "band aid" their new mega-buck M2 with some additional installation requirement that is only required for OS Sonoma.
syntonica wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 am Anyway, seems Apple really screwed the pooch with this update in many different areas.
Yep. I have seen numerous issues posted by other developers (besides curl-related) saying "do not update to Sonoma". It's a routine tale with Macs, IME.

blog.oracle.com wrote: Java users on macOS 14 running on Apple silicon systems should consider delaying the macOS 14.4 update

An issue introduced by macOS 14.4, which causes Java process to terminate unexpectedly, is affecting all Java versions from Java 8 to the early access builds of JDK 22. There is no workaround available, and since there is no easy way to revert a macOS update, affected users might be unable to return to a stable configuration unless they have a complete backup of their systems prior to the OS update.

The issue was not present in the early access releases for macOS 14.4, so it was discovered only after Apple released the update.

BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:24 pm
blog.oracle.com wrote: Java users on macOS 14 running on Apple silicon systems should consider delaying the macOS 14.4 update

An issue introduced by macOS 14.4, which causes Java process to terminate unexpectedly, is affecting all Java versions from Java 8 to the early access builds of JDK 22. There is no workaround available, and since there is no easy way to revert a macOS update, affected users might be unable to return to a stable configuration unless they have a complete backup of their systems prior to the OS update.

The issue was not present in the early access releases for macOS 14.4, so it was discovered only after Apple released the update.
Yay! I depend on Java for business everyday. I've been ignoring all the update notices because it was so huge.

They should've just called it 15.0 since it breaks everything.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”