2020... Stuck Note Bug Still Exists? Really?

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

phreaque wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:17 am
Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm
I am using the latest Spire version 1.5.11 build 5226 on Windows 10 21H2 64 bit in Bitwig.
Fwiw the latest Build: 5227

Code: Select all

Spire Synthesizer 1.5.11 - build 5227 (2022.04.13)
==========================
* Minor improvements

Well then the automatic update feature is not functioning properly:

Spire 1.png
Spire 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Teksonik on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

vega555 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:47 am Please send the detailed information to support@reveal-sound.com. Thanks!
Pretty much all the information I have so far is contained in my previous posts including steps to reproduce the sustain pedal issue but if and when I gain any further information I'll submit it to your support address. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:29 pm
phreaque wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:17 am
Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm
I am using the latest Spire version 1.5.11 build 5226 on Windows 10 21H2 64 bit in Bitwig.
Fwiw the latest Build: 5227

Code: Select all

Spire Synthesizer 1.5.11 - build 5227 (2022.04.13)
==========================
* Minor improvements

Well then the automatic update feature is not functioning properly:

Spire 1.png

Spire 2.png
yeah, what's up with that? i tried the update feature in the plugin after seeing this also, and it found nothing. i'm currently on 5226. running windows. is the new version mac only or something?

Here we are in 2024, problem still regularly pops up. Confirmed on Mac and Windows, on StudioOne, Logic, Nuendo, Ableton and BitWig.

Going to MENU and "Reset MIDI Learn Table" resets it, but should this problem not have gone away after years?

AdamElteto wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:26 am Here we are in 2024, problem still regularly pops up. Confirmed on Mac and Windows, on StudioOne, Logic, Nuendo, Ableton and BitWig.

Going to MENU and "Reset MIDI Learn Table" resets it, but should this problem not have gone away after years?
Hi!

The "Reset MIDI Learn Table" only deletes all MIDI mappings, which in turn can only be created manually via the "Learn" button. Most likely this has nothing to do with the behavior of the plugin.

If the problem recurs regularly on your device, please contact support@reveal-sound.com with detailed information and we will do our best to find a solution.

Thanks!

I got the Spire stuck note (or stuck audio) issue in Tracktion Waveform 12 Pro yesterday and contacted support. To their credit they did respond very quickly but the latest response was "Your case can be treated as unique."

So is anyone else still getting periodic stuck notes (or possibly it's stuck audio)?

It occurs randomly when browsing presets and an "all notes off" message does not stop it. The only way to stop it is to delete Spire and reload it. Changing presets then switching back and the audio is still stuck which is why I'm leaning away from thinking it's a stuck midi note. Reloading Spire and then selecting the same patch where the issue occurred does not cause it again so it's not an issue with the patch itself. Despite trying rather vigorously I have not been able to force this issue to occur, it just happens randomly. So I can not provide steps to reproduce at this point.

(I have been a private beta tester for several developers and many plugins so I am familiar with the bug hunting process)

I create and use a lot of patches that use the Arp so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. The first time it happened I thought it was an Arp Latch issue but Spire has no such function.

It has happened several times in FL Studio in the past and I have always just blamed FL even though I have always used the recommended "fix size buffer" settings. However as I said it occurred yesterday in Tracktion Waveform in a new project with no other plugins.

For the record I own dozens of other synths and none of them has ever had this issue. Once in a very rare while I'll get a stuck note but hitting the "all notes off" button will always clear the problem.

So if anyone else is getting this issue please post here so maybe we can gather some further information for the developer to use. I'm on Win 10, latest version of Spire.

Ok so I've been working on this issue for the past hour or so and I can not get the stuck note or audio no matter what I try. Even things like changing presets while holding down a note on my midi keyboard hasn't triggered it so far.

I decided to make some more presets to see if that will trigger it but that has not and I realized that I don't remember it ever happening when creating presets, only when browsing them.

I noticed when browsing presets that sometimes there is a very low volume pop or audio glitch if you will when switching between them but it doesn't always happen.

In other words sometimes when switching between preset A and B the pop will happen and sometimes it won't. It's random as is the stuck audio issue so that feels like a clue to me. I wonder if it's related to when the patch was created. Perhaps presets made in an older version of Spire are more likely to trigger the issue but that's just a wild guess.

As with any potential bug if group A has the issue and group B does not then there is a reason. Often it's OS related or sometimes hardware related. Many times it's just different use cases. For example I rarely use the Shaper, others may not use the Arp and so on. We all have the same version of the plugin but we don't all use it the same way. I've seen some developers say they can't reproduce a bug while some members of the beta team can.

Anyway I'm working at 44.1k and a buffer of 512 samples so those are not exotic settings. I use Focusrite's ASIO drivers which are fairly common in use. I'll keep testing and report if I have anything new. Again if you're having the issue as well post as much information as you can and perhaps a pattern will emerge. The more data we can provide the developer the better.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:34 pm Ok so I've been working on this issue for the past hour or so and I can not get the stuck note or audio no matter what I try. Even things like changing presets while holding down a note on my midi keyboard hasn't triggered it so far.
I never noticed anything in that regard either.

Studio One, Cubase, Savihost.

Ok I got the stuck audio again today In Waveform Pro. Oddly enough after I stopped trying to make it happen. I really tried yesterday, playing notes with one hand as fast as I could and switching presets with the other as fast as I could and the stuck audio never happened. I really beat it with a hammer and still couldn't reproduce the issue.

Today I was simply auditioning and renaming some of my presets and boom, stuck audio. I didn't do anything different than I did for the previous dozen or so presets. It's really bizarre and I still can't force it to happen so can't provide steps to reliably reproduce it yet. Going back to the preset that caused the issue does not cause it again so I'm at a loss other than it does have something to do with loading presets. It never happens while playing Spire or triggering it from the piano roll.

Anyway I've got an open support ticket and took a cell phone video of it happening and me clicking on both Waveform's panic button and Spire's onboard "Stuck Notes Off" option (right click on an empty part of the GUI) which did not stop the audio. Again only deleting Spire stops the audio. The video doesn't show anything else other than it's actually happening and I would have no reason or desire to make something like that up so don't know how much help the video will be.

I'm taking it as a personal challenge to figure out what's going on so will keep at it.......

I walk through the steps to reproduce on page 2, but maybe have a completely different set of steps from you. Mine involves using a mono sound and a sustain pedal. I did test this a few months back and it was still an issue. I had sent a bug report back in 2021 and left it at that. I mostly stay away from mono sounds in Spire.

viewtopic.php?p=7999934#p7999934

Must be playing a mono patch.
To reproduce:
  • Hold down the sustain pedal.
  • Play notes ascending (C, D, E).
  • Play a note that is lower than the last one played (D, for example) and then lift your foot off the pedal. This is the important part.
  • Note sustains and will not turn off.
  • Switching to another mono patch will play that same note.
  • Switching to poly mode seems to be OK, but switching back to mono will continue to play out the note.
I have found two ways to resolve. Either delete the VST and reload it, or retrigger the sustained note. The 2nd one works most of the time, but not 100%.

Return to “Reveal Sound”