Studio One where are you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:50 pm
jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 amDid you notice all of the guitar silhouettes are Fenders? We need some Gibsons in there.
Of course not. I'm not 5 years old, I don't need little pictures to keep me interested. What a waste of precious screen real estate that krap is. I honestly can't believe anyone uses them. I always assumed they were there for little kiddies and people just starting out so I'd be happier if they just removed them altogether.
Actually they can help to quickly distinguish what is what; depending on how many guitar-tracks I use, I kind of run out of colours (they are always blue here and there's only so many shades of blue I can easily distinguish) and yes, in that case more guitar-shapes might actually help indeed. It's of course nothing crucial at all, but nice to have either way. I absolutely see how one might dislike them and never want to use them - but that sort of tolerance and understanding of course works the other way around too. ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I’m a firm believer in using a different guitar and a different amp for each guitar track. So I use the Strat for my Strat (obviously) but then I have to use the cut-away acoustic for my Les Paul and the mandolin for my 335. The Ibanez could really use its own Superstrat shape with extra pointy horns :evil:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Tell them to make them focus on important stuff like little pictures of guitars. Maybe they can charge you $200 for the 'relic' set, or do lootboxes.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

jens wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:51 amActually they can help to quickly distinguish what is what; depending on how many guitar-tracks I use, I kind of run out of colours (they are always blue here and there's only so many shades of blue I can easily distinguish) and yes, in that case more guitar-shapes might actually help indeed. It's of course nothing crucial at all, but nice to have either way. I absolutely see how one might dislike them and never want to use them - but that sort of tolerance and understanding of course works the other way around too. ;-)
You're (presumbly) a grown up, you can read and write, so give them names that make them easy to distinguish from one another. That's what I've started doing with my vocal takes. Not just Vox1, Vox 2, Vox 3, etc., but names like Good 1V, Cough 2C, Bad Timing 2V (where "V" is verse and "C" is Chorus). It's made it much easier when I've finished recording to remember which is what.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:22 am
jens wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:51 amActually they can help to quickly distinguish what is what; depending on how many guitar-tracks I use, I kind of run out of colours (they are always blue here and there's only so many shades of blue I can easily distinguish) and yes, in that case more guitar-shapes might actually help indeed. It's of course nothing crucial at all, but nice to have either way. I absolutely see how one might dislike them and never want to use them - but that sort of tolerance and understanding of course works the other way around too. ;-)
You're (presumbly) a grown up, you can read and write, so give them names that make them easy to distinguish from one another. That's what I've started doing with my vocal takes. Not just Vox1, Vox 2, Vox 3, etc., but names like Good 1V, Cough 2C, Bad Timing 2V (where "V" is verse and "C" is Chorus). It's made it much easier when I've finished recording to remember which is what.

I do that of course - but it helps a little if I can distinguish them more quickly and easily - progressive lenses or not. After all it's just a simple matter of preference. There is no right or wrong with this - some prefer little helpful images, other's don't. The good thing is, that those who don't like them are in no way whatsoever forced to ever use this feature.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Hmmm...I'm a long time Cubase user. Recently got C13 from C12, which is unusual for me - I tend to upgrade only after several versions usually. I succumbed to the hype and marketing and after the initial new shiny toy excitement, I have to say...C13 contains pretty well f**k all different to C12. Mostly gloss surface rubbish and change in GUI. Cubase upgrades are generally not major anything. S1 can't be any worse than Steinberg in that department...

Concerning Cubase Pro 13, apparently, CPU load management issues with Windows 11.

Cubase Projects 13 consumes more CPU than version 12.

Sometimes, better with Mac and other times with PC it seems.

Here I am not particularly criticizing Studio One, Cubase 13 and Live 12 are not really better.

Ultimately Live 12 offers more things in relation to its overall use.

On the other hand, the same recurring problem is the impossibility of having acceptable CPU management.

Concerning the CPU load, stability, reliability with Windows 11, I really wonder if there is a DAW that is capable of managing this correctly.

Whether it's Cubase Pro 13, Studio One Pro 6 or Live 12, according to some users, not really the case and even worse, sometimes you have to go back to old versions of DAW and even sometimes Windows 10 is more optimized than the version 11.

I think most of that is in users' heads, rather than based in any kind of objective reality. I've not found Studio One to be any worse with CPU load than Orion, which is ultraminimalist and very efficient. And I have certainly not found any software that runs worse under W11 than it did on W10. They are very much the same OS with a different skin.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The use of colour to quickly group or differentiate tracks or related content is very useful. If you are making music with small track counts you likely won’t need a wider colour palette. Otherwise bring it on. The use of text descriptors with colour is also very useful for navigating large projects.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:22 am

Scotty wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:49 pm The use of colour to quickly group or differentiate tracks or related content is very useful.
Too ugly.
If you are making music with small track counts you likely won’t need a wider colour palette.
I don't need it for large track counts. I just use two colors and altetnate each for every new instrument. A named dummy track tells me what the track(s) contain.

After the acquisition the Fender CEO said that the 150 page manual of Studio One is 149 pages too long. Simplifiyng is good, but I‘d rather have companies focus on the real thing instead of cut down versions.
On another note: after years of buying every major S1 Pro version I switched to the Plus subscription - or whatever it is called. This experience just confirmed what I think of subscriptions - nothing. I was not notified when the renewal was due so from one moment to another I had…nothing. No grace period, my project just wouldn‘t load. And of course my v6 Pro templates wouldn‘t load in v5 Pro I still own. Ah, and of course they also increased the renewal price for the subscription. I switched back to Cubase / perpetual licence.

I just stick to the old version until the upgrade is 40% off.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”