[SOLVED] MDrummer : Triggering reliably the same fill

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UPDATE SOLVED : Disabling the randomness as shown further below, along with a 0-128 MIDI velocity to percentage conversion (for Bitwig's note velocity values expressed in %) will reliably trigger the expected fill.

Using the default drumset with the default pattern :

MDrummerFills-01.jpg

And using a fill pattern triggered by F at velocity around 13% :

MDrummerFills-02.jpg

And having a simple loop triggering the main pattern and a fill with note F at 13% velocity in Bitwig :

MDrummerFills-03.jpg

Different fills are being triggered.

Is there a way to reliably always get the fill that is specified at a said velocity ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mevla on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I follow your question, it was today's struggle.

Wouldn't be nice to have a break generator, like the base rythm generator ?
I'm now on a very subtle percussion in a slow jazz swing style, like the Pink Panther (Mancini). There is about only a finger snap and a ride bell cymbal. But at each break, I get a busy, non swinging, tom and snares roll absolutely out of blue. I'd like to have like only one tom strike on 4th beat, with variations.

There is a possibility of having a recurring break but it's nowhere near what the velocity value for a break is said to be. At least in Bitwig's note velocities. The recurrence can be set with :

MDrummerFIlls-04.jpg

Although this is very unclear, and not as it should appear to be. The documentation says nothing about using this, eg. a use practical case at least. What does mean 'RANDOM LOOPS' ? Random fills ? Random patterns ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mevla on Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With the above option disabled I started to make a velocity correspondence when using Bitwig (velocity spread : 0 . release velocity : 0). As long as these MIDI note velocity values are used in Bitwig, the same fill will be repeated. This is because Bitwig uses percentages in MIDI note velocity values. The default, 78.7% is 100 on a scale of 0 to 127 MIDI velocities values.

So it goes something like that :

Code: Select all

Melda   Bitwig % value
        1                2           2
        2                8           8
        3               13         11
        4               18         13
        5               24         20
        6               29         24
        7               34        28
	8               40        34
	9               45        37
       10               50       40
       11               56       44
(I'm done wasting time trying to align columns.)

This is not thoroughly tested. It's a first observation. It should also be valid for patterns. eg. the C note can host a number of patterns, just the same as fills do, and long fills, and intros and outros.

I will be using the above random option disabled along with a 0-128 to % conversion to assure that proper breaks are always triggered when expected.

EDIT : It wouldn't be complete, for Bitwig users, without the MIDI velocity value to percentage conversion :

a,b = range (0-127)
x = Melda velocity value
Bitwig velocity % = 100 * (x-a) / (b-a)

Return to “MeldaProduction”