Your first DAW !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pro-12 on Atari STe (4mb RAM)

I got a copy of Magix Music Maker 12 at Best buy when I was in college. My first real DAW was Protools Le 7 that came with an MBOX 2. That rewired with Reason blew my mind as far as capability.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Cubasis. I bought it from a guy at Interscope Records for $60 in 1996. He gave me a disk (spelled correctly, they were floppies) full of "extra" software to go with it.

Fostex D-80, 8 track hard disk recorder.
God, I loved that machine. I was in heaven, coming from a Tascam 8 track cassette unit.
Came with an 800MB hard drive! I think I upgraded it to 2.1 GB. That's as much as it could handle.

Had to use a DAT recorder to digitally save your recordings, once the hard drive filled up. That was a pain in the ass, but the editing was light years beyond anything I had ever used.

For real, does Notessimo 2 Count? This was my first music making "tools" as a kid although I didn't share anything during that time. It is a "Notation" kind of system, with preloaded soundfonts (which sounds not really good). For people who know mario paint, Notessimo is an "advanced" version of it.

Not mine, but someone recreated songs like Bohemian Rhapsody or what I have done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDN9pXsL8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6ge7Gxu30

However, I couldn't really make the music I want, so I moved on to things like SunVox or Nano-studio.

Edit: Unregistered Hypercam, I hadn't seen this for a really long time.

My first music-making experience was Dance eJay 3. My first real music production software was pirated Fruity Loops 3.4, which was on a CD with software bundles I bought at a local flea market. Fruity Loops 3.4 was mind-blowing for me at that time.

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Mark of the Unicorn Motu Performer v1.0 1985
I can’t believe I started on a Mac SE :dog:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Voyetra Sequencer Plus Mk2 on DOS! 1987, I had to upgrade memory from 16kb to 32 (which cost $300) Still have the Roland MPU interface around here somewhere...But as for real daws recording audio, somewhere in the 90's I saw advertised in keyboard mag a bit of software selling for $32! Can't remember the name, but it served me well for a short bit of time. Finally in 2001 I got Orion, still not a DAW..so 2002 got Cubase VST 5, which I loved very much.

Sonus super sequence on a commadore 64. Midi only, also had Dr. T’s Algorithmic composer, T’s Keyboard controlled sequencer and a cz editor/librarian. A 4 channel Radio Shack mixer and some mic donated by a friend. must have been around 1988. 🎶🍄🥃

Cubase 5.0 but then i went on to use Renoise. Now i use Bitwig.

MrJubbly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:47 pm For me, it was the various music trackers, that were available on the Commodore Amiga A500 in the late 1980s. Such as Soundtracker, NoiseTracker, MED, OctaMED, etc. Although, some may not consider such trackers as "DAWs" in the modern sense.

These were not however, my very first experience of using digital music software, as I had previously dabbled with various (very basic) music creation software, on my earlier home computer, the Commodore 64. Which was a couple of years prior, while I was first learning music.

But I didn't really take music more seriously, until I began using the Amiga's trackers during my early teens (I was around 12 or 13 at the time). As such, music tracker user interfaces, such as this, hold a lot of nostalgia for me.
Are you me? :oops: Same here, first C64 and SID, but then I dabbled with Atari ST and Notator at the school - did not quite like it (did not know either much how to use it and had only one synth, Roland AJuno2). Then AAAAMMIIIIGGGAAAAA came and that was it. SoundFX, SoundTracker, NoiseTracker, ProTracker and or MIDI OctaMED Pro (and a bit of Bars&Pipes).

With OctaMED Pro one had 14bit/57kHz playback for samples on 4 channels (we used 16/44 samples from the net and friends) and many many many MIDI channels to control synths etc. Could still make music with it but I'll now take Live 12 :hihi:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Since everyone seems to be including pre-DAW sequencers, mine would have been this:

https://zxart.ee/eng/software/tool/musi ... music-box/

and

https://zxart.ee/eng/software/tool/music/specdrum/

My second one was Orion Pro. I miss that. I think it was one of the best DAWs ever.

On the PC in 2000, it was Quartz Audiomaster (just GM/samples iirc)

In 2001 it was Sonic Syndicate Orion, first one with VST loading for me

Had messed around with ReBirth, but got bored very quickly.

Before the PC it was Amiga/OctaMed

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”