Before I buy pluginguru Unify, some questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a process to report crashes/bugs in Unify? It's crashing left and right for me in Logic. I create/save a preset. Then I open up logic and load that preset and instantly logic disappears. This is on the latest Mojave.

Seriously, I love the concept of this plugin and it's execution. But the many bugs make it unusable. Is everyone actually using it in a DAW or are they just using it in standalone for noodling around?

Click on the forums button at the top:

https://www.pluginguru.com/
--------------------------------------
OR

go here:
https://forums.pluginguru.com/

Any big reason to have both this and metaplugin? I don't think I care about the pluginguru sample packs.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:00 am Any big reason to have both this and metaplugin? I don't think I care about the pluginguru sample packs.
Good question. I'll try to give you the most honest answer I can. I'm the developer, not a marketing guy :wink: .

If Metaplugin works for your needs, you should continue using it. (You can even use it in Unify patches, although Unify includes a similar built-in plug-in called ComboBox.)

Unify aims to offer a more streamlined work-flow than Metaplugin, Element, Gig Performer, and similar programs that all use the "boxes and wires" metaphor. Some people like that, others don't. Unlike Metaplugin, Unify works as a stand-alone app as well as a plug-in.

Unify includes many more built-in and bundled plug-ins than Metaplugin, including a complete ROMpler; these are the basis of the many add-on patch/sample libraries. If you have no interest in add-on libraries, Unify may not be for you.

If you'd like to give Unify a try, there's a free Demo version available: https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-demo.

getdunne wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:43 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:00 am Any big reason to have both this and metaplugin? I don't think I care about the pluginguru sample packs.
Good question. I'll try to give you the most honest answer I can. I'm the developer, not a marketing guy :wink: .

If Metaplugin works for your needs, you should continue using it. (You can even use it in Unify patches, although Unify includes a similar built-in plug-in called ComboBox.)

Unify aims to offer a more streamlined work-flow than Metaplugin, Element, Gig Performer, and similar programs that all use the "boxes and wires" metaphor. Some people like that, others don't. Unlike Metaplugin, Unify works as a stand-alone app as well as a plug-in.

Unify includes many more built-in and bundled plug-ins than Metaplugin, including a complete ROMpler; these are the basis of the many add-on patch/sample libraries. If you have no interest in add-on libraries, Unify may not be for you.

If you'd like to give Unify a try, there's a free Demo version available: https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-demo.

Hi Dev, I've been a user of Unify since the beginning and it's awesome. One feature request we need is that when you want to add a layer from another preset you should be able to 'pre-listen' to it before selecting it. This would speed up the layering process tremendously. It happens that now when I look for a sound to layer I do it blindly, since I don't remember what that preset sounds like when I mark it and add it to another one. For example the new version of VPS Avenger 2.0 has the 'pre-listen' to the preset and decide if you want to load it or not, thanks John!

Chipi wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:12 pm Hi Dev, I've been a user of Unify since the beginning and it's awesome. One feature request we need is that when you want to add a layer from another preset you should be able to 'pre-listen' to it before selecting it. This would speed up the layering process tremendously. It happens that now when I look for a sound to layer I do it blindly, since I don't remember what that preset sounds like when I mark it and add it to another one. For example the new version of VPS Avenger 2.0 has the 'pre-listen' to the preset and decide if you want to load it or not, thanks John!
Hi @Chipi, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Unify. There's no "pre-listen" feature in Unify because patches can take arbitrarily long to load. The best approach is to add each patch as a "new Unify layer", then double-click the new embedded Unify instance and you can try different patches on that layer until you find the one you like best.

To avoid the patch-load-time issue, some instruments have a "pre-listen" feature based on pre-recorded audio files made with each patch. We don't do this because once you have several thousand patches, that's an awful lot of audio files just taking up space on your disk.

I'm open to discuss this further on our forum at https://forums.pluginguru.com. Best place to put this discussion is the "Unify Feature Requests" section at https://forums.pluginguru.com/unify-feature-requests/.

John said in the last Unify video that it would be the last update, do you know if the product has been discontinued? I am very concerned because I bought it a couple of years ago and I think it is NOT right from a customer's point of view to discontinue it when you have already invested money in a platform and its sound library. I look forward to hearing from you when you get a chance, thanks!

Chipi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm John said in the last Unify video that it would be the last update, do you know if the product has been discontinued? I am very concerned because I bought it a couple of years ago and I think it is NOT right from a customer's point of view to discontinue it when you have already invested money in a platform and its sound library. I look forward to hearing from you when you get a chance, thanks!
Last 1.x update, because he's working on v2. So I wouldn't say it's going to be discontinued, just that there will be a v2 upgrade fee at some point in the next year.

NikkiA wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm
Chipi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm John said in the last Unify video that it would be the last update, do you know if the product has been discontinued? I am very concerned because I bought it a couple of years ago and I think it is NOT right from a customer's point of view to discontinue it when you have already invested money in a platform and its sound library. I look forward to hearing from you when you get a chance, thanks!
Last 1.x update, because he's working on v2. So I wouldn't say it's going to be discontinued, just that there will be a v2 upgrade fee at some point in the next year.
I dont think that is correct. The thing is that Skippy was talking about a "normal" Unify and a PRO version. As since years now he has develloped the "normal" Unify version that seems to have fade into the background. But as far as I understood the normal Unify devellopment is now "closed" and the PRO version will come up someday. Whatever that means, to be honest I can hardly imagine a PRO version as I am not even get into 10 % of what the actual version has to offer and am absolutely happy with it. This IS so much more as Kontakt of whatever, really, curious but fantasy is missing to imagine what this PRO might be about.

can unify work as a FX-only host ? ( loaded as a VST/AU in another host )
send audio in - send it thru some FX - send the audio out (no instruments loaded within unify)

i ask, since what i´m interested in is to create some morph controls that can be stored as a preset, incl. the used plugins/FX ofcourse

tatanka wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm I dont think that is correct. The thing is that Skippy was talking about a "normal" Unify and a PRO version. As since years now he has develloped the "normal" Unify version that seems to have fade into the background. But as far as I understood the normal Unify devellopment is now "closed" and the PRO version will come up someday. Whatever that means, to be honest I can hardly imagine a PRO version as I am not even get into 10 % of what the actual version has to offer and am absolutely happy with it. This IS so much more as Kontakt of whatever, really, curious but fantasy is missing to imagine what this PRO might be about.
I was going by what Mr Dunne wrote here:

https://forums.pluginguru.com/questions ... rade-path/

I guess you should tell him he's wrong *shrug*

Return to “Instruments”