Bye bye VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 pm So they have abandoned AAX?
Many developers can't even develop for it because of the vetting process. One can't just sign any eye popping license and go, no, one has to kind of go through an opaque process with non disclosure agreements on the way before one can lay eyes on the SDK, if ever. Not clear how it works. Can't even remember how we got there. Invitation only?

It's not gonna go away, but it's also not going to take off ever. Many devs just don't care to develop for it, they don't even try.

(I guess I should have taken notes when I spoke to my fellow devs, in case you needed written proof)

I hope Steinberg starts innovating now that they got rid of VST2. I'd like to see better hardware controller integration with knobs in the color of the plugins.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

Urs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm It's not gonna go away, but it's also not going to take off ever. Many devs just don't care to develop for it, they don't even try.
Most (but not all) plugins I own have AAX versions. It's only some of the smaller developers who don't. My point of course was that the major developers are going to continue to support VST3 regardless of the existence of other formats, just as they do for AU and AAX. These are the developers that I have maintained are less likely to pick up CLAP because it doesn't extend their DAW/platform reach or their bottom line.

You guys need to give them a DAW they can't access without supporting CLAP. That means someone has to step up and drop VST2/3. Who is it going to be? Bitwig? I think that would make people on this thread very happy.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

dmcsweeney wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm So, anyway... CLAP is probably the best plan going forward. Lots of choice, more added regularly:
https://clapdb.tech/
Submission form doesn't seam to work. No reply from authors. Tried twice.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

jamcat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am
Urs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm It's not gonna go away, but it's also not going to take off ever. Many devs just don't care to develop for it, they don't even try.
Most (but not all) plugins I own have AAX versions. It's only some of the smaller developers who don't. My point of course was that the major developers are going to continue to support VST3 regardless of the existence of other formats, just as they do for AU and AAX. These are the developers that I have maintained are less likely to pick up CLAP because it doesn't extend their DAW/platform reach or their bottom line.

You guys need to give them a DAW they can't access without supporting CLAP. That means someone has to step up and drop VST2/3. Who is it going to be? Bitwig? I think that would make people on this thread very happy.

Most people have pointed out numerous times in this thread that CLAP provides a more open format for DAWs and plugin developers than VST3.

No DAW has to only support CLAP, There is already two out of the top DAWs that are going to support it, once it gets to four that's all that's needed. Three DAWs will likely never support it, but Studio One, Live, DP, Sonar? why not? and if they do then it de facto becomes the standard.

Logic, PT, and Cubendo can get their formats wrapped. :hihi:

jamcat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am You guys need to give them a DAW they can't access without supporting CLAP. That means someone has to step up and drop VST2/3. Who is it going to be? Bitwig? I think that would make people on this thread very happy.
IDEA: Offer a freeware "limited" version of a software that only support CLAP plug-ins.

I haven't been following, but did Ableton 12 add support for CLAP?

No

Please, if you are being part of the beta center code community, vote for the suggestion "Clap plugin format support".
Among the thousands of feature requests, it's in the 11th position (it has 86 votes), and it could easily be in the top ten.

Calagan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:19 am Please, if you are being part of the beta center code community, vote for the suggestion "Clap plugin format support".
Among the thousands of feature requests, it's in the 11th position (it has 86 votes), and it could easily be in the top ten.
I'm in the beta for 12 and can't find it. If you would be so kind to point me in the direction of this poll...
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:33 am I'm in the beta for 12 and can't find it. If you would be so kind to point me in the direction of this poll...
here is the link (tell me if it's working, I'm not sure I can share it outside of my session)
https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... f481a13540

And here is the ID code for the suggestion : L12-SUG-0184

You can also sort the suggestions by the most reported, and check the 11th one...

Calagan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 am
sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:33 am I'm in the beta for 12 and can't find it. If you would be so kind to point me in the direction of this poll...
here is the link (tell me if it's working, I'm not sure I can share it outside of my session)
https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... f481a13540

And here is the ID code for the suggestion : L12-SUG-0184

You can also sort the suggestions by the most reported, and check the 11th one...
thanks! Just cast my vote

Cool. It's got 88 votes now, and is ex-aequo with the 10th suggestion. Soon in the top ten !!!

nice

I just recently came across Audiothing plugins. Bought a bunch of them... all in bundles etc... but they all offer to install in CLAP format. There is no need for me to do it right now, but it would be nice in the future

Return to “Effects”