SA_Plugins, clap/linux, free/opensource

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi!
here's a bunch of linux clap plugins i hope someone can help me test and report back.. they're all made with the sa_toolkit, everything is coded from scratch, using more or less no external depenencies (except x11, opengl, nanovg).. but i have no idea how it will work or perform on other systems than mine, especially the gui stuff.. so, any reports and comments that i can get would be helpful!!

i have tested them (on my own system, mint/cinnamon/nvidia/intel) regularly in bitwig, sporadically in reaper, and barely in carla.. the gui didn't work in qtractor (last time i tried).. nogui worked.. i have a feeling it's opengl related..

the plugins can also be compiled for windows (using mingw), and i can add in the wrappers for vst3, vst2, lv2, ladspa, dssi (vst3 is more or less working, others varies from 'almost there' to 'quite a bit of work and motivation needed'), or compile as standalone executable (no sound/midi atm, so it's mainly for testing the gui, but later i will be routing it all through jack or something).. but, i think it's best to get some "works!", or "doesn't work!" reports from the 'simple' versions first, and then test the additional stuff layer by layer.. or else it gets too much.. (also, windows.. i can only test using wine, so i can never be sure it _really_ works on real windows)..

so, first, i'm mostly interesting to hear if the system itself works, the underlying code that drives it all.. do the plugins work at all on your system? do they appear in the daw? the gui is the biggest and most intricate parts, so there's many places and layers it can fall apart.. does it work? does resizing work? etc.. the audio/dsp code is not the important part now, until we can be confident about the foundation of the plugins themselves..

later we could do more tweaking and tuning the gui or audio itself.. make some ok plugins out of them.. now i'm mainly hoping people will test them, and report back..

so, the plugins:

https://github.com/skei/SA_Toolkit/tree/master/testing

put them wherever the host is looking for them.. '~/.clap', '/usr/lib/clap', or something, most hosts lets you specify where.. i have mine in '/DISKS/sda1/plugins'.. i don't remember what the official clap spec says.. :-)

not much documentation yet, i'm afraid..

* sa_plugins_linux_28.mar.2024.clap

- sa_botage - glitch, cut'up, autoslicer
- sa_bulum - rudimentary grain cloud/delay
- sa_cred - note effect, fibonacci series, pisano periods
- sa_mael - simple synth, but it has lots of the shiny clap goodies

* sa_ports_linux_28.mar.2024.clap
* sa_ports_linux_nogui_28.mar.2024.clap

- sa_compciter, sa_event_horizon, sa_exciter, sa_exciter2, sa_freeverb, sa_hall_reverb, sa_hrtf, sa_iirfilter, sa_large_room_reverb, sa_limiter, sa_phaser, sa_pitch, sa_saturation, sa_small_room_reverb, sa_sonic_maximizer, sa_stretch, sa_tilteq, sa_transient_killer

a bunch of small, simple and minimalistic plugins and stuff i converted from multiple sources, jesusonic, ladspa, forum postings, etc.. multiple reasons for these.. to test different parts of the sa_toolkit as i worked on it, to see if it was usable to make 'real life' plugins, to test a bunch of small audio algorithm, that could possibly be used later as, for example internal effects in a synth.. and, these could be improved over time, modify and tweak the audio code, make some better guis, etc.. and become proper plugins.. the source code has more info about each plugin..

---

the sa_toolkit is here: https://github.com/skei/SA_Toolkit
there's also some test videos and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@torhelgeskei
and a discord channel: https://discord.gg/KMNea8P6Pe

let me know.. are the plugins useful? should i develope them further? is the framework stabile? does the gui work? if not, does the nogui versions work? etc, etc.. what distro, kernel, desktop, gpu card, etc would also be very helpful, especially if things doesn't work! ideas, comments, complaints, suggestions, etc, also appreciated..

---

(btw, i changed my mind, and compiled windows binaries too.. they're very "very not supported" (linux/clap first!), and have known issues and problems, but they're there.. and vst3 versions (clap wrapped as vst3, not all clap features are supported)..

- tor-helge

Well, in their current state they are at a very early stage. All I can say is that Linux plugins are always welcome, and CLAP plugins likewise. Sa_botage and sa_bulum look interesting.

thanks for testing!
which distro, gpu, etc?

and yeah, it's still early, at least for the plugins themselves.. there's also a bunch of other plugin ideas and prototypes flying around, but until now i've not been confident enough about the "internal code", the foundations, to spread the plugins much, or talk much about them.. but if i now can get some confirmations that the base plugin code actually works properly (the internals, the "guts".. there's a LOT of "more than meets the eye" in there), i can focus on the plugins themselves, rather than the underlying framework/toolkit..

..anybody?

I played with an older version of sa_botage a while back when I was still mainly on Windows and enjoyed it a lot. Now I'm almost wholey on Linux I'll make time to try them all out. Thanks.

awesome! the underlying framework has been updated and changed, so let me know how things go, if things work or not.. anything is valuable info..

tor.helge.skei wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 am thanks for testing!
which distro, gpu, etc?

and yeah, it's still early, at least for the plugins themselves.. there's also a bunch of other plugin ideas and prototypes flying around, but until now i've not been confident enough about the "internal code", the foundations, to spread the plugins much, or talk much about them.. but if i now can get some confirmations that the base plugin code actually works properly (the internals, the "guts".. there's a LOT of "more than meets the eye" in there), i can focus on the plugins themselves, rather than the underlying framework/toolkit..
I haven't tested them thoroughly, but on MX Linux 21 they seem to work fine.

ampetrosillo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 amI haven't tested them thoroughly, but on MX Linux 21 they seem to work fine.
great! thanks!

I tried them here in debian sid /AMD dGPU / Wayland with the two hosts I run.

Opening any of the GUI plugins in Ardour causes it to stop responding. They crash Bespoke when trying to open the ui.

The non-gui ones crash Ardour and Bespoke on adding the plugin.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:00 am I tried them here in debian sid /AMD dGPU / Wayland with the two hosts I run.

Opening any of the GUI plugins in Ardour causes it to stop responding. They crash Bespoke when trying to open the ui.

The non-gui ones crash Ardour and Bespoke on adding the plugin.
thanks for testing!
ardour and bespoke, that means vst3 versions, i guess?
the wrapper uses some vst3 timer stuff, if i remember correctly, for updating the gui, and communicating widget changes back to the host.. need to look more into that, probably..

Yep, I used your precompiled vst3s.

Here's hoping they both add clap support at some stage.
Image Image Image Image

I feel like a total noob but... should there be compiled .clap files on github? I can't find them... :)

I did find sa_botage on your discord which is running fine on initial tests (UbuntuStudio 23.10, Reaper 7.12)

Thanks

GaryG wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:05 pm I feel like a total noob but... should there be compiled .clap files on github? I can't find them... :)
yeah, there shouldn't be, probably, but i put them here for the time being:
GaryG wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:05 pm I did find sa_botage on your discord which is running fine on initial tests (UbuntuStudio 23.10, Reaper 7.12)
oh, great! thanks!

tor.helge.skei wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:11 pm yeah, there shouldn't be, probably, but i put them here for the time being:
Cheers, probably the only folder I didn't look in. :)

Will give them a proper look later.

Return to “Effects”