PCIe cards for m.2 drives, any suggestions

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

the lowly Crucial P3 + 4tb has come down in price but I have no more free m.2 slots on my mobo.
I guess I need a PCIe card that would take it. It's 4th gen, not the fastest by far.

What should I look for in the card so I don't purchase a dud?

Best,

k

I have an older ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI PCI-E Adapter Card (90MC03I0-M0EAY0), for a single M.2 SSD.
Look for brand, speeds it supports. Don't think you can go wrong with these things, if it's from an OK company.

ASUS-M-2-X16-Expansion-Card
Last edited by RPH on Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have it and it works perfect - IB-PCI208-HS or IB-PCI224M2-ARGB ( with Leds )

https://icybox.de/en/product.php?id=463
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

AcrossTheSky wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:44 am I have it and it works perfect - IB-PCI208-HS or IB-PCI224M2-ARGB ( with Leds )

https://icybox.de/en/product.php?id=463
Yeah, my Asus one is like that but without the cooling solution. Fine product.

Thanks!

I have two of these on a pair of systems here:

ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2

And - this thing runs my NVMe drives faster than attaching them to the actual motherboard.

So I removed all the drives from their usual spots, attached them to this card and slapped into into an available PCIe x16/x8 slot.

The beauty is - depending on your board and its ability for bifurcation - I can install multiple drives (up to 4) to a single card.

Cheers

VP

Looks good and isn't too expensive but it's probably more than I need.

I was looking at the lowly Crucial P3 Plus 4tb m.2 or Lexar 4tb drive (thanks, Pictus). I won't need more than one in this system, next one's going to have at least three m.2 slots on the mobo (won't skimp on that, I promise) which is more than fine.

Atm I'm getting by with 256gb system drive and a 2tb data drive. Both Samsung something or other.

I have several of the cheapest ebay cards and they all work. Keep in mind that a single M.2 NVMe card is basically passive.

Need help for upgrading my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Windows 10 PC.
Need to upgrade the M.2 PCIe NVMe from 500GB to 1TB or 2TB.
Not having luck finding the correct NVMe that is on the Qualified Vendors List.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 am Need help for upgrading my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Windows 10 PC.
Need to upgrade the M.2 PCIe NVMe from 500GB to 1TB or 2TB.
Not having luck finding the correct NVMe that is on the Qualified Vendors List.
with a board that old you tend find everything on the QVL is long out of production - however I see the samsung 960evo/pro,970evo and 980pro are on the list - so if you stick with Samsung ( which would mean 990evo/990pro ) you should be safe

Ok got the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB https://www.ebay.com/itm/134995376695
Now will need to buy two HDD or better SSD SATA 1TB for back up.
These do not have to be Samsung. They can even be used to save $$.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”