Which Beyerdynamic headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I have been listening to some music on DT 880 Pro 250 ohm headphones for a couple of days and here's my quick impression:

Build & comfort: It is great. The weight is on slightly heavier side (a bit more than ATH-M50), but the ear pads especially make it comfortable. Wearing them in summer right now will be a little better than ATH-M50. Coiled cable is nice too.

Sound: Loving it. Bass is smooth and tight and the treble is not harsh at all. The mids sound balanced and vocals sound forward and clear. They seem a bit brighter than ATH-M50, which I like. The sound stage is also a bit wider than ATH-M50, which is expected and great.

Impedance and type: All my concerns about higher impedance and semi/open back were pointless. Komplete Audio 6 MK1 drives them easily and brilliantly. In fact, I just needed to push the headphone volume knob marginally higher than the ~9 o'clock position I was using for ATH-M50. It makes me wonder why people with decent audio interfaces would be spending so much on external headphone amps and cables. I will much prefer saving the money and additional setup hassle. They being semi-open back also are not at all a problem. In fact, I would have be fine with fully open back too.

Overall, I would say that DT 880 Pro have a great sound and now I recommended them too. Don't worry about headphone amp if you have a decent audio interface, as you should not need any external amp. Also, if you have a dedicated studio bedroom, semi-open or open back shouldn't be a considerable problem at all. There may be some cons, but it make take some time to find them. Until then, I will enjoy the pros. Thanks to everyone, especially those who recommended DT 880 Pro to me. :)

Next, I would love to get a pair in the future that are fully open back, have lower weight, and complement ATH-M50 and DT 880 Pro in terms of sound and soundstage/imaging, but are in a similar price range or only a little more expensive. Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650 probably? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Awesome, glad they worked out for you! :phones:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:13 am So, I have concluded that I am OK with either semi-open or open back headphones. Since I have a separate studio bedroom, I think it would not be very different than listening to on speakers with the same ambient sound/noise around.

For semi-open back, I have DT 880 Pro 250 ohm as my choice.

For open back, based on comments here and elsewhere, I am hesitant about going Beyerdynamic route, and so thinking about one of the Sennheiser headphones - HD 560S, HD 600, or HD 650. I am not able to decide which one of these if I go for fully open-back. HD 560S would be probably the easiest of the three to drive using my audio interface and then HD 650 as it has better sensitivity. I don't want to buy a dedicated headphone amp outright as based on my research Komplete Audio 6 MK1 has one of the best headphone output specs I have seen for any audio interface and should drive any of these fairly well.

I listen to alternative-pop/rock, hip-hop, R&B, and electronic (not EDM) music.
I aim to produce beat-driven music (with/without my vocals, male) blending the same styles of music I listen to.

While I think it boils down to personal preference now, any last suggestions on which one would be the best as my first "open" type headphones would be appreciated. :)
I have the HD560S, phenomenal open-back headphones.

dikrek wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:37 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:13 am
I have the HD560S, phenomenal open-back headphones.
Thanks for your suggestion, one more vote for HD 560S then.

I like the fact that HD 560S are lightest of the Sennheiser models I am looking at (240g), only 120 ohm impedance, and are cheaper. Would they be a good if not a better bet than HD 650/600 ignoring the price difference?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 am
Thanks once again for your time and suggestions.
Respect to you too mate

shoulda got these tho
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”