Sequential to discontinue the Prophet X due to component shortages

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not surprising. The X clearly didn’t generate the buzz or sales that the Prophet 5/10, P6, OB-6, Trigon 6, PRO 3, and Take 5 do. As for the TI, development stopped a long time ago and the official announcement of its discontinuation was already long overdue. The Korg Prologue appears to have also been discontinued, but I don’t think Korg has officially announced it (???).

Meh, new synths come and old synths go. I’m just waiting to see what Elektron announces next…
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:38 pm The Korg Prologue appears to have also been discontinued, but I don’t think Korg has officially announced it (???).
Korg US still keep Prologue listed
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/

Many Korg european sites though has removed Prologue since years back.
- uk and se as a few
- just change language letters and you will see

lfm wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:08 pm
cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:38 pm The Korg Prologue appears to have also been discontinued, but I don’t think Korg has officially announced it (???).
Korg US still keep Prologue listed
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/

Many Korg european sites though has removed Prologue since years back.
- uk and se as a few
- just change language letters and you will see
True, but the US major retailers (e.g., Sweetwater, Perfect Circuit, Guitar Center) have removed it from their listings - not listed as "out of stock" or "backordered", but they've removed it entirely from their websites. That's why I said it appears to be discontinued, but maybe it will resurface when stock becomes available again. :shrug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:38 pm
Meh, new synths come and old synths go. I’m just waiting to see what Elektron announces next…
I want a new Elektron hybrid synth... 12 voices, 6 tracks, based on the Rytm sound engine...

Another point re: the Prophet X. I've seen a few discussions on other forums about Focusrite possibly pulling the plug on it because it overlapped with Novation's Peak and Summit synths and they didn't want competition between two companies under their ownership umbrella. That seems a bit far-fetched to me, tbh, but that's one rumor.
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:07 pm
cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:38 pm
I want a new Elektron hybrid synth... 12 voices, 6 tracks, based on the Rytm sound engine...
Yeah, that could be interesting! :tu:

cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:22 pm Another point re: the Prophet X. I've seen a few discussions on other forums about Focusrite possibly pulling the plug on it because it overlapped with Novation's Peak and Summit synths and they didn't want competition between two companies under their ownership umbrella. That seems a bit far-fetched to me, tbh, but that's one rumor.
Sounds far fetched to me too... Prophet X was about samples and neither the Peak or Summit are.

Prophet X wasn't supported well from the start. There were plans of sample packs and while some were released, they were all classic synths... how many different SAW waves does one need? If they had released a bunch of sample packs with acoustic instrument samples, voices, etc., it would have been more interesting.

Low polyphony is what kept me (and I suspect others) from grabbing the Prophet X.

Prophet X (IMO) also suffers from lack of identity.
It's not well equipped for sample playback (to compete with Workstation type keyboards).
With DCOs, it's not as appealing for hard-core analog synth fans.
It's in limbo somewhere between both.

If it had sample-playback and polyphony on-par with Workstation keyboards, it would be a much easier sell.

Played the Prophet X at Sweetwater this past Monday.
Current price is $3500.
That's a hard sell for many potential users... as it's a niche instrument (not going to cover a lot of practical sounds).
As much as I loved the reissue Model-D, when I finally got one... I realized that nostalgia was better than the reality.
At $5k, it was just too niche to be a practical part of my studio.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Yeah it was always a bit of a strange beast. It also felt quite half baked, like they somehow ditched it and never really realized all of it's potential. The polyphony I can sort of understand due to the analogue filters.. still the sampling part of the system could have been much better done.

I suspect this one will become a hidden gem at some point and then perhaps a not so hidden and over priced vintage unit in 20 years.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Jim Roseberry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:42 pm
If it had sample-playback and polyphony on-par with Workstation keyboards, it would be a much easier sell.
There is no practical way to have workstation type polyphony when it has analog filters.

bmanic wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:00 pm Yeah it was always a bit of a strange beast. It also felt quite half baked, like they somehow ditched it and never really realized all of it's potential.
I find the concept compelling... but yeah, the implementation did feel half baked

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:49 pm There is no practical way to have workstation type polyphony when it has analog filters.
FWIW, The current Roland Fantom series has both digital and analog filter options.
Though it's realworld polyphony isn't great (can easily hear voice-stealing with four-part layers), it's significantly more than the Prophet X.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:24 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:49 pm There is no practical way to have workstation type polyphony when it has analog filters.
FWIW, The current Roland Fantom series has both digital and analog filter options.
Though it's realworld polyphony isn't great (can easily hear voice-stealing with four-part layers), it's significantly more than the Prophet X.
I don't pay attention to workstations, but I kinda remember that the Fantom does not have an analog filter per voice.

The Prophet X has 16 analog filters.

I also felt they had Omnisphere as synth but was a bit too limited in polyphony etc.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:40 pm I don't pay attention to workstations, but I kinda remember that the Fantom does not have an analog filter per voice.

The Prophet X has 16 analog filters.
Good point.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”