Recommendations for those that appreciate Japan and Sylvian

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I originally posted this on Reddit, and it got a lot of likes. This will be about lesser-known examples and not obvious influences like Roxy Music or clones like Duran Duran. And yes, I know about Ultravox, Visage, Tubeway Army, and other contemporary bands like. Maybe check out Propaganda for something more underrated.
  • Mick Karn - His first three albums: Titles, Dreams of Reason produce Monsters, and Bestial Cluster are said to be the best. Titles has the most of his classic rubbery bass, and the B side showcases his singing ability! The 2nd album has two songs with DS for vocals! “Buoy” sounds like it would fit with GTP, and “When Love Walks In” (Not to be confused with the Van Halen song) has a nice industrial vibe. He is also featured throughout Gary Numan’s Dance and Pete Murphy’s Dalis Car album.
  • Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri - Worlds in a Small Room has some cool tracks like “Mission.” Their album under the Dolphin Brothers alias sounds like how Japan would’ve sounded in the mid-80s. “Mother London” is a track that is reminiscent of DS’s solo work in the 90s.
  • JBK - Closest thing to modern Japan. All of their stuff except Ism and Beginning to Melt can be found on Bandcamp. Far better than anything from Rain Tree Crow. Not to mention, they brought back Rob Dean for one track, “Ego Dance.” The three also worked with Midge Ure for two tracks.
  • Ippu-Do/Masami Tsuchiya - Their album, Night Mirage, sounds like a mix between YMO and Japan’s work during Tin Drum. Steve Jansen, Richard Barbieri, and Percy freaking Jones are all over the album! “Dream of the Gypsies” has more of Jansen’s drum machine programming. Rice Music (which has Jansen and Karn) can be seen as a cousin of Tin Drum, and “Secret Party” has “Gentlemen take polaroid.” in its lyrics! Lastly, Tsuchiya did a cover of “Visions of China” with Karn!
  • Akiko Yano: Ai Ga Nakucha Ne - Has Karn and Jasen all over the place and Sylvian singing at the end.
  • Yukihiro Takahasi: Wild and Moody - Japan and YMO-like synths with Jansen’s drums. Also, check out their duet, “Stay Close.”
  • Speaking of which, YMO - Cool technopop trio with two singers. Takahashi has a vaguely Sylvian-like timbre.
  • Sandii and the Sunsetz - Cool Japanese technopop band that sometimes had DS as a guest in tracks like “Living on the Front Line” (hardly heard) and “This is Not Enough” (no longer on YT, only time DS with his Brilliant Trees voice does synthpop).
  • Icehouse - Australian band with a similar beginning with Japan in terms of Roxy Music influences and change of style. Fronted by multi-instrumentalist and Bryan Ferry soundalike Iva Davies (also sounds like DS in the baritone range). The band had Guy Pratt (another fretless bassist) for two albums. “Mountain,” “Hey Little Girl,” and “No Promises” are my favorite tracks. Oh, and the Measure for Measure album features Brian Eno and Steve Jansen!
  • Kajagoogoo - May not sound like Japan, but Limalh’s voice has a similar alien quality to DS during the later Japan albums. “White Feathers” and “Too Shy” are my favorite songs from them.
  • The Durutti Column - If you like the avant garde side of DS. Their album, Without Mercy, is great for fans of Brilliant Trees.
  • Virginia Astley - Her work, especially her early albums, is underrated and stood the test of time. "Some Small Hope" is a cool duet featuring DS and music by R. Sakamoto (also did the background music for the album Hope in a Darkened Heart)!
  • Eye Talk - An obscure Australian Band that has Jansen in some of their albums. Also sounds like modern Sylvian stuff at times.
  • Eurythmics - Not Japan-like, but they are a very cool duo using synths and strings from session musicians.
  • Danny Elfman/Oingo Boingo - Decent American New Wave Band with a guy that reminds me of Adam Ant. The song "Gratitude" is very funky like "The Art of Parties" and "Pulling Punches."
  • Hyde - If you like Japanese youthful male baritone voices that might remind you of DS, he is one to check out. One of my all time favorite singers (even before I foudn out about Japan during college). He was the front man of L'Arc En Ciel and VAMPs, and his voice in English is really intriguing. As someone pointed out, Roentgen has strings and synths reminiscent of Sylvian's work in Dead Bees on a Cake.
  • The Blue Nile: A Walk Across The Rooftops - An interesting album from a Scottish band with a blend of synths and acoustic instruments that ages well including tuned percussion. Vaguely reminds me of Brilliant Trees and later solo work.
  • Virna Lindt - Swedish singer who has a cool art pop album called Shiver. Has dreamy vibes that are at times like Gone to Earth.
  • Zee: Identity - Funky album by Richard Wright and Dave Harris. Worth a listen.

PatchAdamz wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:29 pm David Sylvian & Robert Fripp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Jwnp8 ... fFKmgF8nxc
That's a good one, but I'm talking about those besides Sylvian or Japan.

Fripp did an album with FSOL called FFWD that I really like. Any Bowie is great. 80s era King Crimson is great.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

barbieri was on some early porcupine tree albums.

ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Later Talk Talk, and Mark Hollis’ solo album would fit the avant garde style of David Sylvian’s solo work, even if it sounds different. It fits the same experimental approach. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

That said, some of you might like a Spoify channel that I created. It’s got a lot of this style of music in it—as well as other, similar styles. It’s meant to be played on shuffle.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2N7ST ... Ld97ODToud
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”