Arturia - Live in 3 Days

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
dumbledog wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:58 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:23 pm So it's a glorified preset player . :lol:
So is the Mellotron, shrug. Hell this thing has a Mellotron in it, yeah? I wonder how the current Mellotron (https://www.digitalmellotron.com/product-page/m4000d) is going to fare with this thing costing hundreds less.
Nope – the Mellotron emulation is omitted from Astrolab

crayola_ferrari wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:12 pm Nope – the Mellotron emulation is omitted from Astrolab
Eh, not surprised. What's the "Sampler" instrument then?

The new synths from Collection X (Acid, Augmented Brass/Woodwinds, CP-70) are missing as well, but I think one of the influencer vids said they were coming later.

edit: The manual says the Mellotron sounds are in here on Page 5.

dumbledog wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 pm
crayola_ferrari wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:12 pm Nope – the Mellotron emulation is omitted from Astrolab
Eh, not surprised. What's the "Sampler" instrument then?

The new synths from Collection X (Acid, Augmented Brass/Woodwinds, CP-70) are missing as well, but I think one of the influencer vids said they were coming later.

edit: The manual says the Mellotron sounds are in here on Page 5.
Yes there are mellotron sounds in the Sampler section, the loopop review (iirc) plays one.
Last edited by VitaminD on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drunken jesus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:16 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:39 pm
drunken jesus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:30 pm $350 keyboard + $100 copy of analog lab running on a <$500 windows pc = $2000 keyboard?
That's not how it works. ;)

There's also no need to complicate things. $2000 = the prize Arturia has set for this keyboard. Either works or it doesn't.

I'm rather surprised that there is a target audience for something like this. And a big one, obviously, as big as this announcement, and the background theme (25 years Arturia) is.
I’m aware most things cost half or less to produce than they’re sold for, just pointing out that anybody with a little bit of computer skills could frankenstein something way more capable together for about half the price
I agree, but, this keyboard isn't anything I would want anyway.

VitaminD wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:36 pm Yes there are mellotron sounds in the Sampler section, the loopop review (iirc) plays one.
Ironically in the Livestream today they criticized sample based instruments and made a big deal about how AstroLab was all modeled

Which even if you skip over the samplers is dump because they use samples in many of the EPs also and even talk about it in the marketing materials

Does it have a sad trombone sound?
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

Looks pretty cool, and I think the street price will generally be under $1500 USD.

My concern is how durable that dial/display would be over time, and how much it would cost to replace it if needed (also considering the shipping cost). [It would be great if they had designed it to be user-replaceable.]

But I'm not a pro or a stage-gigger. I'm sure some of those people can write off such expenses when they do their income taxes.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/arturia_astrolab.htm thomann already has it listed for $1444 and in stock in 1-2 weeks.

The nest dial is indeed my primary concern. That looks like it would become a point of failure over time. Otherwise, having most of Analog lab in a keyboard you can just turn on and off.. no messing with laptops or audio interfaces or anything is appealing. It has caused me to take more time in going through the Analog Lab sounds. There are some beauties in there.

Has anyone seen the actual specs regarding the keybed yet? Does it have aftertouch and release velocity?

BBFG# wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:25 am Has anyone seen the actual specs regarding the keybed yet? Does it have aftertouch and release velocity?
According to CDM, semi-weighted and only channel aftertouch

parma wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:33 am
BBFG# wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:25 am Has anyone seen the actual specs regarding the keybed yet? Does it have aftertouch and release velocity?
According to CDM, semi-weighted and only channel aftertouch
Oh well. Of course if you can split and layer via separate channels, that's something. But the next board I buy has to have release velocity. Just curious, can't say I was really interested. What I regularly use and have interest in using is not the whole range of them anyway. I basically just use Pigments and the three organs. I am watching how Augments develops too. And the collection as a whole is mostly wasted for my current tastes. But it looks like a good idea for a certain market.

This thing looks great for stage musicians.

I also think here people commening on price vs keyboard computer and software are forgetting aesthetics when being on stage. Crowd who pay money doesnt want to look at somebody watching in to computer with regular midi keyboard. Also simplicity, you dont need aditional devices to boot up, means less worry if something crashes, you can control with a smartphone and quickly search for sounds.

While I will stay an Analog Lab user, I can't wait to see musicians hook up external gear to AstroLab. Especially those high end stompboxes from Hologram or Chase Bliss.

crisis-at-music wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 pm Looks like there will be AstroLab 88, AstroLab 61, AstroLab mini: https://device.report/bluetooth/186890
Wonder if the AstroLab mini will be in the MiniFreak format with mini keys. Given the MiniFreak sells for less than 500 I suspect such an offering could be popular.

Return to “Instruments”