Windows 10 Permissions Problem? *Solved*

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've encountered the permissions error problem with Repro in Windows 10. I followed the instructions in the FAQ (which, I think, were for Win7/8) and moved the u-he data file into C: Users/Username/u-he date, but still no joy. The plugin appears to load in Live 8, but the GUI is blank. Any ideas?

Cheers

Edit: Solved by reinstalling and letting it create the u-he data folder in C:\VstPlugins
Last edited by hakey on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Does it say permission error or installation error? - I think it's usually down to whether the Windows Shortcut points to the right directory or not. Maybe send the support guys an email, I'm sure they've come across it before. And I think they're checking their ticket system some time through the holidays.

After moving data to C:\Users... I get the following:

"File couldn't be opened C:\Program Files\Scripts\Repro-1.txt - this is most likely a problem with permissions. Check out the FAQ [...]"

EDIT: then -

"File couldn't be created to C:\Program Files\com.uhe.Repro-1.Preferences - this is most likely a problem with file premissions [...]"

and

"Repro-1

Installation Issue: No GUI resources

please contact support@u-he.com"

I thought it might be better to ask here. If anyone else has the same problem in future, they might see this thread and save support from repeating the same advice over.

I've had this problem on two separate Win 10 machines now, so I guess it's not uncommon.

Yep, it means the plug-in dll doesn't have a shortcut to plug-in .data in its VSTplugins folder.

However, personally I haven't dealt with this in years, I guess ever since we have a support team...

okay, I'll see if I can fix it myself

Edit: solved - see first post

Yep, on Windows 10 it's better to do a complete re-install instead of just moving files around when you want to change the installation location (or when you get the 'no GUI resources' or file permission errors). The handling of shortcuts seems to be a bit different on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7/8, thus the old instructions for Win 7/8 in the FAQ section sometimes won't work when using Windows 10.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I had the same issue while trying to re-install Hive today on my new Windows 10 system and solved it by switching the path location of the *.dll file.

Originally my hive.dll file was saving under C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins as this works well for useing Hive in Cubase - I switched the path to C:\VSTPlugIns however and no longer had the "can't find gui" error. Hope this helps for other Windows users.

hakey wrote:okay, I'll see if I can fix it myself

i didn't understand how do you've solved it

iosonoameba wrote:
hakey wrote:okay, I'll see if I can fix it myself

i didn't understand how do you've solved it
See op;

"...reinstalling and letting it create the u-he data folder in C:\VstPlugins"

Just a small point as I also had the same problem and had to reinstall my U-He plugins when they not only failed to load or created error messages but actually crashed Reaper.

After reinstalling in my VST folder rather than in my usual easier to backup location, which I would have preferred though it does seem to cause problems, all the plugins worked fine, except for Bazille. I was trying again today, installing, reinstalling, trying different locations, and then I realised what the problem was:

I had forgotten to remove the data folder shortcut in my VST folder. Even if you have a folder called the same, it follows the shortcut first and tries to find the data in whatever old location it was installed in, so it's important not to forget removing the shortcut.

I thought I'd just add that here in case someone else missed that and is tearing their hair out trying to find out what is wrong.

I just came across this error message for some reason. I'm not even using windows 10 but I did try to upgrade and it was a total disaster and went back to windows 7 but
now it seems I'm having issues.

Tried the easy fix to reinstall Satin and now it's still having the same issues for some reason.

Happens in both VST2 and VST3 formats too

Then please contact support so we can guide you through the steps to fix this.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I tried a fix from another plugin developer where they had me run my DAW as an Admin and that seemed to have fixed it.

How did you solve the VST3 not finding the resources folder? I already solved with the VST2 and it's working fine, but whenever I try to open the VST3 I always get the same message about the permissions. It's weird because I have Zebra installed too, in the exact same way I am trying to install Repro but for some reason Repro only works with VST2... :(

Return to “u-he”