It’s 2023–you’re favourite iOS MPE synths for Linnstrument?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgot to add another big favourite of mine: ID700. Really awesome sound design tool and doesn’t sound like other FM synths. Though some aliasing at high pitches (call it “vintage”).

And thanks 5KW1RE: you listed some I don’t know.

jsterne wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:00 pm Forgot to add another big favourite of mine: ID700. Really awesome sound design tool and doesn’t sound like other FM synths. Though some aliasing at high pitches (call it “vintage”).

And thanks 5KW1RE: you listed some I don’t know.
Do you have any advice for grappling with ID700?

It kind of makes my head spin. I'm fine with FM concepts, and say the matrix editor of NI's FM8, or equivalent. But ID700 comes across as another beast entirely. I can see its power if you know it, and actually props are definitely due to the developer. The presets don't inspire me, either quite plain or markedly experimental, I didn't find the middle ground anywhere,, and, got a bit stumped with designing with it, so in the end for now I haven't been using it but it's there waiting for me to get to grips

Start with Da Fault (the preset it opens with).

Then mess with index amounts, and algorithms.

Then mess with partials (the little faders) or transfer functions (which are presets for them).

Too bright? Turn down the filter.

THEN, add modulation with the envelopes, aftertouch, etc., to the FM indices, filter, etc.

Find a sound you like? Save it, then scroll through the algorithms and see what happens. Play with the partials and see what happens.

Remember: Envelopes can be very long. You can essentially stack sounds within ID700 by modulating which operators sound when in a patch.

I don't think of it like FM at all in the sense of being intentional about ratios, programming with an end goal in mind, etc. I think about it as a tripped out organ and I just mess around with it till I find something I like.

jsterne wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:58 am Start with Da Fault (the preset it opens with).

Then mess with index amounts, and algorithms.

Then mess with partials (the little faders) or transfer functions (which are presets for them).

Too bright? Turn down the filter.

THEN, add modulation with the envelopes, aftertouch, etc., to the FM indices, filter, etc.

Find a sound you like? Save it, then scroll through the algorithms and see what happens. Play with the partials and see what happens.

Remember: Envelopes can be very long. You can essentially stack sounds within ID700 by modulating which operators sound when in a patch.

I don't think of it like FM at all in the sense of being intentional about ratios, programming with an end goal in mind, etc. I think about it as a tripped out organ and I just mess around with it till I find something I like.
Ok thanks I will have a bash

New one, and it seems like a goodie. Physical Modeling MPE AUv3, Stringlab from 4pockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKBRSuFsM_M

I've just given this a go, and for now, in this version, CC74 is not actually implemented per note, it remaps to cc1 which is not implemented per note, so for example, with MPE enabled, and cc74 mapped as cc1 (it can be 1 or 2), and then in the articulation panel, for cc1, mod wheel assigned to exciter noise, this is overall, not per note. Sadly. On iOS probably still second to Sculpture as far as physical modeling MPE. At least the pitch is per note, and for mono at least there is y and z. Almost but not quite great. Hopefully following feedback proper MPE implementation for cc74 might come later.

Also strangely it has no way to change the dampening on release. Its like having the sustain pedal down always… The only way to contact the developer seems to be the review system of Apple… On the other hand its a nice addition for a certain kind of sounds… I hope on further development…

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:59 am Also strangely it has no way to change the dampening on release. Its like having the sustain pedal down always… The only way to contact the developer seems to be the review system of Apple… On the other hand its a nice addition for a certain kind of sounds… I hope on further development…
I don't have StringLab, but Paul from 4Pockets does have a presence on the Audiobus forums. I posted these issues in a thread there:
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5779 ... -stringlab

using a wall powered usb hub one can easily plug multiple things up to an iPad… some hubs also allow simultaneous charging of the iPad.

I'm starting to revisit some iOS synths for MPE and so far I'd say the Klevgrand Tomofon deserves a lot more attention. I may have more to say about this as I spend more time with that and others in the coming weeks.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”