The Mysterious Synapse-Audio HZ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When it's ready.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:02 am When it's ready.
So it really is about the synth being ready for release, and not about Hanz Zimmer being ready to do an interview?...

Bones, can and will speak for himself, but I am not 100% sure that is what he meant.
According to KS's Vi-control, the release will also include/ or timed with an HS video.
I imagine both things have to be read for it to be deemed ready.
rsp
sound sculptist

I'm much more interested in the Prophet 600 even though I've got RePro and an SC Prophet-10 here. It feel like it's been 5 years since Richard first announced he was working on that. The MemoryMoog would also be a lot more appealing to me than Legend HZ.

I've never looked at a Minimoog and thought, "you know what this thing needs is twice as many oscillators!" Then again, I'm no Hans Zimmer.

Trust me, Legend-HZ is a very worthwhile thing. You know how much I hate MiniMoogs but this thing is way, way more than any emulation. That said, I find a helluva lot more uses for Prestige. I find it so useful that, for the first time in many years, I actually sat down last night for the specific purpose of making patches for it. I spent a couple of hours making and tweaking patches, then another hour or so creating new patches from those, using Genetics. Most of the Genetics ones will need tweaking, and I'm sure a lot of them will end up being too similar, but I reckon I will probably end up with 30-40 usable patches, which is pretty good for a few hours work.

The good thing about using Genetics is that you get sounds that you wouldn't normally try to make yourself, as well as happy accidents that you'd never even think to try and do deliberately. It's a very inspirational tool.
Ou_Tis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:34 pmSo it really is about the synth being ready for release, and not about Hanz Zimmer being ready to do an interview?...
The two things are not separable. It will be ready when it's ready, which won't be until HZ has managed to find the time to sign off on it. All of which seems perfectly reasonable to me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Must be very frustrating for SA.

I'm not really sure why anyone would find things like the Prophet 600 particularly appealing - all the budget polys from this era were extremely simplified, cut-down and lower-quality component versions of their higher end synths at higher price points. We bought analog polysynths at the £800 end of the budget because we *wanted* the £2K polysynths, their sound and their features but just couldn't afford them.

They don't sound particularly amazing, and they aren't particularly flexible and are extremely feature limited in the quest to cut costs. On the plus side, they are probably simpler to model because they are simpler machines, but I'm not sure what you gain by modelling them, versus modelling their generally far better more expensive synths...

Still, I get that for some people (and I include myself in that), sometimes you want a model of a particular synth for other reasons than it was a brilliant synth or for what it could do (eg, nostalgia, curiosity, etc etc).

Why stop at the P-600? Sequential Max, Six-Trak or Multitrak? There's plenty of budget-level bland polys to do if we're running out of ideas...;)

Price wise, it's more economical to buy a low price, relatively unknown synth, and model it and market it as a niche synth, maybe?

So called legendary synths are usually expensive or scarce, or both

beely wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:35 amI'm not really sure why anyone would find things like the Prophet 600 particularly appealing - all the budget polys from this era were extremely simplified, cut-down and lower-quality component versions of their higher end synths at higher price points. We bought analog polysynths at the £800 end of the budget because we *wanted* the £2K polysynths, their sound and their features but just couldn't afford them.
I never felt that I was short-changing my music by doing so. How much worse, for example, did a DX-9 sound compared to a DX-7? Where did ARP cheap-out on components for the Axxe? I'd also suggest that cheaper components might have lent some of these cheaper instruments exactly the kind of character that a lot of people buying vintage synths today are looking for.
They don't sound particularly amazing
None of them do, even the really well regarded ones. That doesn't make them useless.
and they aren't particularly flexible and are extremely feature limited in the quest to cut costs.
Again, limitations that maybe give them a character of their own.
On the plus side, they are probably simpler to model because they are simpler machines, but I'm not sure what you gain by modelling them, versus modelling their generally far better more expensive synths...
Well, if you want to look at RePro-5 versus Prestige, I much prefer the sound of Prestige - it's rawer and more gritty. Of course, it also goes well beyond the functionality of the synth upon which it has been modelled, so you get a lot more bang out of a modern emulation than you could ever have hoped to get from the originals.

Still, I get that for some people (and I include myself in that), sometimes you want a model of a particular synth for other reasons than it was a brilliant synth or for what it could do (eg, nostalgia, curiosity, etc etc).
Why stop at the P-600? Sequential Max, Six-Trak or Multitrak? There's plenty of budget-level bland polys to do if we're running out of ideas...;)
I think you'll find it's all bout what you can get your hands on to model.

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:23 pm That said, I find a helluva lot more uses for Prestige.
Is that a plugin or a function from a SA synth you are talking about here? I have vague memories of genetics being part of Dune3

Genetics is also in Legend and Obsession.

https://youtu.be/QTWgMubeem0?si=TOS6NKDKjAmnW54-&t=49

rsp
sound sculptist

Prestige :hihi:

does it come with perfume and diamantes? :P

pawder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:48 amIs that a plugin or a function from a SA synth you are talking about here? I have vague memories of genetics being part of Dune3
Genetics was in Orion 20 years ago. Rich has put into the browser in recent versions of Synapse's synths. It takes two patches and randomly picks settings from each to create something new.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's one of the handiest features on a synth ever if you ask me.

It's definitely an interesting way to pass the time if you're bored.

Return to “Instruments”