Steinberg Cubase vs logic

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tried Cubase Pro 13 but I just couldn't deal with all the crap that gets installed.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:04 pm Tried Cubase Pro 13 but I just couldn't deal with all the crap that gets installed.
And what 'crap' is that? The only thing you need to install is Cubase and its license manager/library manager. Anything beyond that, YOU clicked on and installed on your own.

OK. I saw like 3 or 4 things on Mac, I don't know why. Stupid me. But I can't check again, as I already uninstalled and I don't really care anyways. Enjoy Cubase :tu:
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Let's try to stick to facts since people might actually use this thread considering the switch.. Cubase requires three things installed and that's it. Cubase, the Steinberg Activation Manager, and the Steinberg Library Manager. The old eLicenser is also installed as some of the old libraries for Halion/Groove Agent/etc haven't been migrated to the new license yet, but it's part of the license manager install. Otherwise, Cubase 12 and 13 won't touch it at all. You technically don't need to install the 'Download Assistant' as you can grab the installers directly from Steinberg's website.

Everything else that comes with it, the demo songs, instrument presets, Dorico, Spectralayers, Groove Agent SE, Retrologue, Halion Sonic, etc. is optional and only installed if YOU install it.

mothra wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:22 pm Let's try to stick to facts since people might actually use this thread considering the switch.. Cubase requires three things installed and that's it. Cubase, the Steinberg Activation Manager, and the Steinberg Library Manager. The old eLicenser is also installed as some of the old libraries for Halion/Groove Agent/etc haven't been migrated to the new license yet, but it's part of the license manager install. Otherwise, Cubase 12 and 13 won't touch it at all. You technically don't need to install the 'Download Assistant' as you can grab the installers directly from Steinberg's website.

Everything else that comes with it, the demo songs, instrument presets, Dorico, Spectralayers, Groove Agent SE, Retrologue, Halion Sonic, etc. is optional and only installed if YOU install it.
Even with a minimal installation, seeing the Activation Manager, Library Manager and Cubase itself being installed with shortcuts on the desktop (assuming you allowed them, can't recall if this was optional) is a bit much for some.

Not everyone wants to see all that. Most DAWs only leave you with 1x thing to click on after installation - the DAW itself.

Yes, it's annoying and unnecessary. There are much elegant and unobtrusive ways to deal with downloads management and DRM (without punishing the legit customer, while pirates always find workarounds).

Yorrrrrr wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:44 pm Yes, it's annoying and unnecessary. There are much elegant and unobtrusive ways to deal with downloads management and DRM (without punishing the legit customer, while pirates always find workarounds).
It is very useful. You can use Cubase instruments in any DAW, so you need download manager to install it. Just install GA or Padshop or Halion Sonic and use it in Logic for example.

I use Cubase instruments in S1.
Last edited by Serhii Kot on Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

I use Cubase 13 also.
A pitty, that they dropped the rewireing thing.
Would like to use the Reason stuff in it, they got realy cool mashines.

I've been a user of both Cubase and Logic, but not recently. Actually, dating myself, I started with Pro 24 and Creator on the Atari. The power of both is undeniable, but those ancient roots are occasionally apparent--especially in Logic. Logic is way cheaper for the full program and AUs seem to work better for me than VSTs, but I like Cubase's workflow and interface better.

In the end, this is a non-opinion as either will do. Just go with the one that tickles your fancy.

mothra wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:07 am Damn I always forget about that little detail, Logic's got it beat by miles if you need samplers out of the box. Sampler (aka EXS24 3.0), Quick Sampler, Alchemy.. I had to pay extra for Halion for Cubase, but that said, I don't miss the samplers from Logic and I rarely use my EMU now because of it.

Logic's are great and probably all you will need. My one gripe with it, if you spend a lot of time building a big sample library, it stays inside Logic. Halion, Kontakt, TAL Sampler, etc, being a VST/AU instrument, you can move those around to other DAW's and whatnot. One day you might not want to use a Mac anymore, or need to ditch Logic for whatever reason. On top of having to learn (and buy) a new DAW, you'll end up starting all over if your library is stuck in the Logic/Apple ecosystem.

With Cubase, all of the instruments you get, Retrologue, Halion Sonic, Groove Agent SE, etc.. Those are all just regular old VST/AU plugins. They're tied to your Cubase license but you can use those in other DAW's, Mac or PC, etc..
Sampler Track is good. Comparable to Quick Sampler, IMO, and definitely a better workflow. Groove Agent SE 5 is all most people will need for Drum Sampling.

Cubase doesn't have anything like Sampler, though, because HALion is a separate product line.

Logic has better synth coverage than Cubase, but a lot of its synths are beyond old. I don't think it has a VA synth as good as Retrologue 2. Padshop 2 can compete with pretty much anything on the market.

Where Logic, though, wins is in coverage. It has FM, Physical Modelling and Drum Synths that Cubase doesn't have. Alchemy is good, but we all know most people use it like how people use Omnisphere... basically as a ROMpler for presets. Lol.

I do think it has better Library Content. You need Absolute to surpass what Logic includes in the box. Cubase is better in some areas, but the quality is not consistent. With Logic, the Quality is far more consistent.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

classic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:01 am I use Cubase 13 also.
A pitty, that they dropped the rewireing thing.
Would like to use the Reason stuff in it, they got realy cool mashines.
Reason no longer supports ReWire. ReWire has been gone for years. They have Reason Rack Plug-in, now.

I don't even think ReWire is Apple Silicon Native, Lol.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

harddaysnight wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:03 pm
mothra wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:22 pm Let's try to stick to facts since people might actually use this thread considering the switch.. Cubase requires three things installed and that's it. Cubase, the Steinberg Activation Manager, and the Steinberg Library Manager. The old eLicenser is also installed as some of the old libraries for Halion/Groove Agent/etc haven't been migrated to the new license yet, but it's part of the license manager install. Otherwise, Cubase 12 and 13 won't touch it at all. You technically don't need to install the 'Download Assistant' as you can grab the installers directly from Steinberg's website.

Even with a minimal installation, seeing the Activation Manager, Library Manager and Cubase itself being installed with shortcuts on the desktop (assuming you allowed them, can't recall if this was optional) is a bit much for some.
Thankfully, since version 11 or so, you can at least choose to install the different sound libraries. Still a lot of stuff which gets installed though, admittedly.

Have you tried Studio One? ;)

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:45 pm
harddaysnight wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:03 pm

Thankfully, since version 11 or so, you can at least choose to install the different sound libraries. Still a lot of stuff which gets installed though, admittedly.

Have you tried Studio One? ;)
Yeah, I did most of the songs I've released to date on S1, but switched over to Ableton recently.

I'd been trying Ableton out off and on before I ever got S1, and before I started taking my own music a little more seriously. Decided to swap for a few reasons, went through most DAWs, including S1, Logic, Cubase, Bitwig, FL Studio and went for Ableton 12 Suite as I found it at a great price.

Might still pick up FL Studio one day, because there's lots I liked about it but definitely happy with Live 12 Suite. Roar on its own makes me happy with the switch, lol.

I've gotten to the point where I am not longer interested in entertaining alternative DAWs and have either sold them off (Ableton Live 11 Suite) or deleted the vendor accounts along with the licenses (Studio One 6 Pro, Notion 6, etc.).

I've pretty much standardized on the Steinberg software because it's Windows + macOS and their ecosystem is fairly complete (Cubase, Dorico, WaveLab, SpectraLayers). I only have to follow one vendor for my main pieces, which means I can just sign up for their mailing list and block any other DAW vendors (and most plug-in vendors).

Since Cubase has such good stock plug-ins, I've been able to remove a lot [but not all] of third-party plug-ins from my system, as well. Some of those were redundant, as they were used to stabilize things across different DAWs, due to disparities in what they offer. Eliminating the other DAWs eliminated the need for them.

I tried Studio One, but it lacked some features and hadn't added them since I got it, so I deleted the PreSonus account and moved on.

Only useful "second DAWs" these days - to me - are Reason for the Rack Plug-in (that depends heavily on what MIDI Processors, etc. you already own) and Pro Tools, since a lot of people around here still use that and it would make interchange better.

The others didn't really deliver any practical benefit. It was more of a "maybe for me" thing.

I'd really lost to drop Native Instruments, Lol. I'm almost at the point of being able to delete iZotope, I think.

I'm never going to use Logic again.

Cubase has come a long way with windows though I do have my glitchy moments.
Cubase Artist 13 is $230.99
128 tracks good enough for me.

I have a vast collection of plugins already I don't need the full version of iconica, padshop halion etc. Though the selection included is quite amazing

Unlike other daws which require you to use the plugins exclusively inside the daw environment I've been able to successfully load those plugins into other daws. Bitwig Mixcraft etc

I haven't used cubase since windows 3.1 so there is a learning curve for me. But I'm happy to put my other daws to rest once I familiarize myself with it's workings.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”