Live 12 or Bitwig 5.1

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harddaysnight wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:07 pm
harddaysnight wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:06 am Bitwig doesn't have one. Nor does FL Studio. No other DAW has one and IMO that's completely absurd.
Digital Performer for one, has had a built in Looper since 2001 or earlier.
Never heard of it, but with a name like that, I would hope it did have one.
Yeah on this forum it doesn't really exist, I'm the only one that mentions it. Used to be Mac only until a half dozen years ago, and occasionally a Windows user experiences a crippling bug (mostly due to VSTs like usual) and rants like it's useless to everyone. It's still used for large arena shows doing backing tracks and in the film industry mostly.
It has a built in way to do live music with linear backing tracks by having projects within projects. Useful for practicing to have separate linear timelines for each song, etc.

Live has one downfall that way, you can only load in one Set at a time, so I would use Session Clips to play back drums etc, and empty clips with patch change type stuff for guitar or keyboard etc.

This VS DP which does whole Sets within Sets and Bitwig which can load as many sets as your computer can handle.

Honestly though this is a bone of contention for me with all three, and Mainstage. My setup back in the day was Live with NI Kore and Guitar Rig. So clips, guitar with multiple patch changes per clip, controller keyboard with Kore switching mid song between VSTi's even split keyboards with different sounds on each and of course songs done completely with a Launchpad and clips etc. Kore bit the dust and not one of the live performance oriented DAWs stepped up.

I suppose I can replicate this setup with Live, Bitwig or DP really and something like Unify, but I'm still in disbelief that the idea of quickly changing setups that I did with Clips and Kore isn't something built in to Live or Bitwigs FX and instruments? It seems so basic, but like you pointed out there aren't many loopers in DAWs either.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”