How to send only part of the signal to Fx track in Bitwig ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible in Bitwig to send only part of the track signal to the Fx track, but so that the rest of the track signal continues to sound, unaffected by processing on the Fx track? :?

For example, I want to process only a certain frequency range with reverberation, but so that the unaffected frequency range also sounds. At the same time, I have an Fx track with reverb and I would like to use it if possible without adding a new reverb to the track being processed. :wink:

I am so confused with what you are asking but the answer is yes?

There are so many convoluted ways to route audio in Bitwig. You can inject audio at any point in any track grabbing it from literally anywhere in the project with the audio receiver. This includes grabbing audio from somewhere else in parallel processing setup with an FX Layer device, which you could spectrally split up with freq split and just soloing whatever spectral part of the signal you want.

So I have no idea what exactly you are asking, and yet I know the answer is yes, you can do that? lmao

-edit- here I opened a new project and took some screenshots with what I think you are trying to do?

Cheers
"music is the best"

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:33 am I am so confused with what you are asking but the answer is yes?

There are so many convoluted ways to route audio in Bitwig. You can inject audio at any point in any track grabbing it from literally anywhere in the project with the audio receiver. This includes grabbing audio from somewhere else in parallel processing setup with an FX Layer device, which you could spectrally split up with freq split and just soloing whatever spectral part of the signal you want.

So I have no idea what exactly you are asking, and yet I know the answer is yes, you can do that? lmao
Oh, thank you! I intuitively assumed that Bitwig definitely has something like this, so I wrote here on the forum -I want to know and use all the features of this wonderful Daw. :hug: "Audio Receiver" is what I need! :tu:

your example almost recreates my situation, but instead of Freq split, I used Multiband Fx-3, because "Freq Split" does not allow you to enter numeric values for dividing the bands. :wink:

there's also a dedicated Bitwig forum HERE (if you need more help) :wink:

You could always put a filter in front of the FX on the FX channel before the reverb, so that it cuts out anything unwanted before it hits the reverb.

mirDR wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 pm You could always put a filter in front of the FX on the FX channel before the reverb, so that it cuts out anything unwanted before it hits the reverb.
if you do this, then shipments from other channels to FX will fall under the filter. And I need filter processing up to FX on only one channel

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:33 am I am so confused with what you are asking but the answer is yes?

-edit- here I opened a new project and took some screenshots with what I think you are trying to do?

Cheers
This works but there is a way of making it simpler - the audio receiver isn't needed in that setup since fx layers have their own post-layer send controls accessible in inspector when you have a layer selected. At any point you want to send from you just stick an fx layer with an empty layer and use the send controls for the layer. If you want to pre-process the sound before the send then add devices to the layer and set the overall fx layer mix to 0.

Sends on layers is a fairly well hidden feature that is useful for a ton of different common routings.

pikey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:03 pm This works but there is a way of making it simpler - the audio receiver isn't needed in that setup since fx layers have their own post-layer send controls accessible in inspector when you have a layer selected. At any point you want to send from you just stick an fx layer with an empty layer and use the send controls for the layer. If you want to pre-process the sound before the send then add devices to the layer and set the overall fx layer mix to 0.

Sends on layers is a fairly well hidden feature that is useful for a ton of different common routings.
I never noticed this in the FX layer inspector! THAT is an incredibly useful tidbit, thanks!
"music is the best"

pikey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:03 pm

Cheers
This works but there is a way of making it simpler - the audio receiver isn't needed in that setup since fx layers have their own post-layer send controls accessible in inspector when you have a layer selected. At any point you want to send from you just stick an fx layer with an empty layer and use the send controls for the layer. If you want to pre-process the sound before the send then add devices to the layer and set the overall fx layer mix to 0.

Unbelievable! Super function! Thank you very much! Of course, my initial task should be solved this way. Yes, Bitwig never ceases to amaze!

Funk Dracula wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm
pikey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:03 pm This works but there is a way of making it simpler - the audio receiver isn't needed in that setup since fx layers have their own post-layer send controls accessible in inspector when you have a layer selected. At any point you want to send from you just stick an fx layer with an empty layer and use the send controls for the layer. If you want to pre-process the sound before the send then add devices to the layer and set the overall fx layer mix to 0.

I never noticed this in the FX layer inspector! THAT is an incredibly useful tidbit, thanks!
Also available in the Mixer! :tu:

Pretty good one indeed... Any example of when did you use it ?

Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:27 pm Pretty good one indeed... Any example of when did you use it ?
I find it's more of a problem solver than anything in a typical workflow for me. One example - for a few tracks recently I've been using a granular buffer effect set to -2 octaves as a deep bed on a send with a bunch of different melodic parts going to it. The problem was that some of the melodic tracks had too much bass already for -2 octave shift so I applied a high pass in the fx layer pre-send. Maybe I could have applied the filter pre-granular effect on the send itself, but it felt more elegant to only filter the tracks that was causing the issue. I've also done similar per-track preprocessing with dynamics devices like compressors and gates to get each send sounding good.

Just sending mid-track is more common for me. For example again with granular fx again if I have it as an insert I typically don't want the granular layer going to a reverb, so I'll send from an fx layer.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”