Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 am
BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am
But that's why I also said this:
jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 pm It can be compatible with certain types of live performances, though, which is why you will find it where it belongs, on the Show page.
That wouldn't work for Reggie, though, would it?
I think it would. Why wouldn’t it?
In fact, even this live looping method in the Song page that Joe demonstrates would work for Reggie in a live performance. Isn’t this exactly what Reggie does?

https://youtu.be/ev-OQxF0ZtU

Can you set the tempo based on your first loop?
Can you set the looped section, to also be based on the length of the first loop?

Using S1 as a looper seems limiting like this - what if I recorded an initial 1 bar drum loop, but I want to now record an 8 bar bass loop over it - how to make it automatically continue looping that 1 bar drum loop, while I'm laying down an 8 bar loop?

I know other things can be MIDI mapped - there'll be ways to map "clear all", and you can midi map track selection etc but those issues above are deal-breakers.

It might be okay for banging out a loop for a song if you know the tempo, and you want the length of the loop to be fixed.

But that's not how live looping works - at least not real musicians, looping real instruments, that they're actually playing (ie, not the pre-made loops people use to play "live" in session view/clip launcher etc).

I'm talking more from the perspective of someone at a bar, with a MIDI controller, wanting to use their MacBook/laptop as a looper.

With something like Ableton Live, you can set it up to work flawlessly - everything works perfectly, due to Live's "looper" plugin. You could recreate what Joe is doing here, but it would suck because it doesn't set the project tempo to the initial loop (you wouldn't want to start a bar gig with a metronome, and I personally don't even want the laptop/MacBook in sight - I want it nowhere near me, behind the PA or something, controlling it by hand is completely unacceptable)... and idk how it would work with loops of different lengths.

Among other issues that I can see.

I've tried every third-party looper plugin on the market too, and nothing works properly - the closest was Mobius but that's unsupported now though some people are trying to get it working for current systems.

I love the idea of using a DAW as a looper because it gives you a whole world of possibilities, infinite more than using a BOSS RC-600 or something similar.

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 pm
eerie_audio wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 pmWell it's not exactly Cubase, but the next best thing from Steinberg, VST Live Pro 2 and Flex Loops.
AKA - Steinberg just copied the Show Page from S1.

Wow.

VP
You obviously didn't even watch the video, you can't set loops like that on the show page. I'm not sure you can even setup the show page to record and edit in real time during the creation process either. But, you seem to think that limited show page can do it all, no wonder you guys are clueless.

The one thing I like from the VST Live Pro video is the automation data being freely assignable to any destination. That's one of the few things still needed in Studio One. That and part containers for the automation data.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Anyone had success with importing Dawproject songs from Bitwig?

I have found it very hit and miss. More miss than hit actually. Sometimes the VSTs used in Bitwig load,but usually there missing.Audio seems to move across ok. Sometimes midi data is there,sometimes its not. I am using the latest Bitwig 5.1 and Studio One Pro 6.6.

https://youtu.be/ev-OQxF0Zt
How many times are you going to make us look at that stupid JG-face? (where's the "throwing up"-smiley when you need it?)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Be happy that you don't have to stare at the Gregor mug. ;)

2024 - where it's more about people's mugs than the actual thing the videos should be about.

That's why I like this guy so much: https://www.youtube.com/@loopop No mug shots, and every video begins with "Hey, this is device XY". That's the proper way to make a video about... device or software XY. I don't really care for mugs.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:04 pm

How many times are you going to make us look at that stupid JG-face? (where's the "throwing up"-smiley when you need it?)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 pm Be happy that you don't have to stare at the Gregor mug. ;)

2024 - where it's more about people's mugs than the actual thing the videos should be about.

That's why I like this guy so much: https://www.youtube.com/@loopop No mug shots, and every video begins with "Hey, this is device XY". That's the proper way to make a video about... device or software XY. I don't really care for mugs.
I don't like his hands... :D

But yes, he should be the prime example for How to YouTube of how to make a review video for a product.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 pm Be happy that you don't have to stare at the Gregor mug. ;)

I don't like his hands... :D
:lol:

Granted, they're a bit sausage-y. ;)
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm [dug up pic of me from my working life]
Dude, you obviously need help - that's some seriously disgusting behaviour.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 pm
Got a weirdy stalker eh? :o

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 pm
Yeah, super weird! And he wouldn't have posted it if he wouldn't think that's normal behaviour. :scared:

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:33 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 pm
Yeah, super weird! And he wouldn't have posted it if he wouldn't think that's normal behaviour. :scared:
Be careful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJequ7fc80o

:lol:

I whined about S1 earlier in the thread, and left it after releasing some music made in it - but I'm considering going back to it just because I know it and kinda like the mixer.

I explored some other DAWs and now own Ableton Live 12 Suite - already own Cubase Pro 13 too which I might spend more time with.

But in using Live 12, there's some things that are kinda annoyingly different - it's a straightforward DAW to use, don't get me wrong, but I already know my way around S1.

There's some awesome stuff in Live 12 - Roar and Meld are absolute standouts, but I find myself reaching for the third-party stuff I already know to serve those purposes, a bit of a habit/workflow thing but as someone that's only just starting to really release music, I think it's a GOOD thing to have my pool of tools feel as though it's getting smaller as I begin to naturally turn to the same ones.

Live has the looper plugin which is huge, I wish it wasn't as big of a deal as it was, but there's no alternative to it - third-party loopers don't do the job. I've tried so many (Enso, Repetito, MSuperLooper.. you name it, I've tried it) and nothing is as easy to set up and use as Live's looper plugin.

I understand you can kinda loop using a DAW and the loop function with multiple tracks, and have it so when you select a track, it auto-arms only that track etc but that's not even close to the functionality I need/want from a looper plugin (right off the bat, you can't set the tempo with your first loop doing this.. so that's the end of that idea right then and there before the song even starts).

I like Bitwig a lot too but again, no looper (NOT talking about session view/clip launcher) - I'm familiar with the basics of Bitwig too, and have released roughly the same amount of songs as I have on S1.

S1, Bitwig and Logic are the only DAWs that I feel comfortable enough in to finish a song to the point of releasing it. Could be an experience thing, needing to spend more time in the likes of Live and Cubase etc to get to that point - but S1 has a mixer that I feel more comfortable using than the others. I gotta say, I don't really like Live's mixer.

There's also other little Live quirks, I find it annoying to move around an arrangement, sometimes it zooms in, or zooms out, doesn't go where I want. I'm sure there's shortcuts to learn to whiz around it quicker. I also find it annoying to specify the part of the song I want to loop if there's a lot of tracks. I don't really like the playhead either. lol.
Sounds so whiny but these are things I have zero issues with in S1. Or Cubase for that matter.

idk, unfortunately there's more too. I like Live a lot, I am considering dropping it already in favour of either learning Cubase some more, or going back to S1, even without a looper plugin.

Mostly because I just can't be bothered learning a new DAW, even with how many awesome things are in it, I just don't want to spend time doing that, I want to spend time writing/recording/releasing my own music without wasting time learning a new DAW.

Not quite sure what to do yet but I'm not fully sold on leaving S1 atm.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”