Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 pm
The Pure transformer was the first thing I grabbed for after getting these underwhelming results but then it started feeling absurd, resynthesize something, remove the potentially interesting harmonics and phase movements, then start adding FM and all kinds of distortion to make it sound somewhat decent and rich. If I want to write a letter to someone I would not write it by hand first, then copy it by typing it into my computer's text program ironing out the typos and crossed out words, then choosing different fonts for the various sections and maybe coloring all vowels in green, I would just send an email in the first place 😀
Is that you BONES?

:?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

It's worth checking out the sample import for modal/resonator as well if you haven't already
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Hey, you wanna try some Myth? C'mon, you know you wanna. Don't be a squaaaaaaaare.

Sorry that was my attempt to reduce this to an episode of After School Special. :lol:

I thought I might try the free trial of this - what is the secret handshake one needs to gain access? I have logged into my account which is all fine but when I go to submit for the trial I get another login needed and this error for the password

"Do not use # & \ or spaces.
At least 8 characters long. Must contain upper and lower case or numbers."

for the same login details that logged me in a few moments before

Looking in the manual, I don't see, but is it possible to change the LFO rate to hertz and not time divisions?

Ok.. I went thru all the presets to favourite the ones I like.
I like enough to most likely buy it.. for me (and this is always personal) the standouts were Arovane, Spektralisk (who I was expecting great things from, these quirk almost dystopia type stuff is right up his alley, he did not disappoint) and Sound Author.

I will try blending it some more with some of my favourite synths to see how they work together.

There are many things about the GUI that I would prefer were different and definitely the factory preset volumes are all over the place...definitely needs curating imho.
rsp
sound sculptist

sandandpaint wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm I thought I might try the free trial of this - what is the secret handshake one needs to gain access? I have logged into my account which is all fine but when I go to submit for the trial I get another login needed and this error for the password

after you fill out the form for the trial, go back into your account
and check "my downloads" then "free trials"
it should be there, if not, you may need to contact support or try again later
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

cake builder wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 pm Looking in the manual, I don't see, but is it possible to change the LFO rate to hertz and not time divisions?
Currently no, this was a decision to dissuade mathematic approaches to sound design and encourage exploration and creativity using ears. I have discussed this with Peter, and at the time it was far too late into development to add this in (every time based control would have to follow as they share a system).

I can not make any promises, but I will suggest this to at least be displayed in the tooltips as a readout (like it is for delay and filter frequency)

databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:12 am
sandandpaint wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm I thought I might try the free trial of this - what is the secret handshake one needs to gain access? I have logged into my account which is all fine but when I go to submit for the trial I get another login needed and this error for the password

after you fill out the form for the trial, go back into your account
and check "my downloads" then "free trials"
it should be there, if not, you may need to contact support or try again later
thanks - looks like it is a call to support - appreciate your help

Okay this just clicked for me.... Helps to read the manual sometimes! :D

The Irises are essentially oscillator creators, and quite cool ones at that. The color transformers (bottom row of transformers) provide variety and change throughout the Iris, though sometimes that change makes everything sound the same, however you will see this on the Iris by the color indicator (colors become the same). So, if you want more change in your oscillator, use the transformers to provide more color to the Iris.

Make sense so far?

Then, the way you reach the different sections of each Iris is through the modulation system and the position transformer, with of course the option to fade or ring modulate between the two Irises! 8) This can make for some really cool oscillators, in essence the starting point of your patch.

Reminds me a bit of wavetable synthesis, so it may not reinvent the wheel per se, as it's sort of the same concept.

From there, you add: filter, FX, traditional osc, more modulation, etc.

Hope that helps those curiously sniffing and poking at this synth.

EDIT: And yes, some of the transformers on the top row also alter the Iris, but just the shape and not the color. Bottom line, the transformers as whole create your Iris for you, create your wavetable-esque oscillator.
Yo Leroy!

Actually going through the tutorial showed me some stuff I hadn't realized just messing around, and loading some of my own samples into the iris had some good results -- I'm feeling more satisfied with the resampling than I did at first. Just don't think of it as something like Alchemy, but resynthesis for a very different approach.

One thing I had struggled with in the UI is it seemed tricky to dial in precise or tiny amounts of modulation, and there seems to be much more need for subtlety and precision in Myth than, say, Kult. But there are a few ways to reduce the modulation and make the ranges easier to hit: a math module, a macro, etc.

databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 am
cake builder wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 pm Looking in the manual, I don't see, but is it possible to change the LFO rate to hertz and not time divisions?
Currently no, this was a decision to dissuade mathematic approaches to sound design and encourage exploration and creativity using ears. I have discussed this with Peter, and at the time it was far too late into development to add this in (every time based control would have to follow as they share a system).

I can not make any promises, but I will suggest this to at least be displayed in the tooltips as a readout (like it is for delay and filter frequency)
if I get the chance to demo the restriction to musical time base divisions rather the Hz would be a bit of a turn off for me - I find asynchronous slow modulation is more organic than mathematical. If anything musical divisions are a bit too crude and mechanical for some applications

sandandpaint wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 am
databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 am

if I get the chance to demo the restriction to musical time base divisions rather the Hz would be a bit of a turn off for me - I find asynchronous slow modulation is more organic than mathematical. If anything musical divisions are a bit too crude and mechanical for some applications
oh, you can definitely desync them from the tempo, it just doesn't display the value in hertz, you'll see a little + or - next to the division, this indicates that it's faster or slower than that division (aka not synced to the tempo)

Return to “Instruments”