Your first DAW !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rebirth was so great at the time. I used to distort the 808 tom's and tune them to use as bass, allowed me to free up on of the 303s for pseudo polyphony. So fun.

Steinberg Remix AKA Ableton Live Lite

I got Ableton Live Lite on a magazine CD. I could not really get into it. I'm pretty sure it was because of decades of using FL.

My first DAW was magix music maker, and I wish it wasn't. :ud:

Some of the worst support I've ever seen, no ability to side-chain plugins, but one of the cheapest and coolest starter plugin libraries I've seen (so long as you buy one of the top bundles) HOWEVER:

ALL OF IT IS LOCKED, EVEN THE LOOPS, TO MAGIX MUSIC MAKER.

You can't even use it with other magix software, like vegas.

Went to Ableton Live 11 as soon as I could on the recommendation of a better musician and I never looked back.

Challenging question!

I had some sound utilities for a RS Color Computer. Then much later Soundfont stuff for an early SoundBlaster, early MAGIX and MIDIsoft software. ACID, Fruity Loops. Actual DAW? Maybe Cakewalk.

Garageband and Audacity (before Audacity had VST support)

Cubase in 2000 when i got my first PC
but started on Atari ST with Cubase in 1995

Sonic Foundry stuff. Sound Forge, Acid and CD Architect.

Cakewalk by Two tone in The early 90s. More of a mídi sequencer really. Later Cakewalk wirh audio in a Professional setting. Lots of crashes due tô Windows IRQ conflicts

Then in the early 2000s started again wirh Adobe Audition.
Then In 2010 I had a stupid complex setup using Live, Reason and Logic rewired together mixing into Mixbus......how ridiculous.
In 2014 I swithched to Reaper which has been my main daw since. I do like Mulab better for creating music. It is just faster and more inspirational. Starting tô mess with tracktion Waveform 12. Pretty cool workflow só far but a lil quirky in placas.

All that said....For The most part I use a daw like a tape machine recording rock and folk sruff. I dable in EDM and Synthwave from time tô time on Mulab.

Really like Mulab for making modular instruments and fx.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Cubase on Atari ST

Master Tracks Pro on the Atari ST around 1987.

My first computer was an Apple ][ clone. I had an MPU-401 I guess there was some basic Midi sequencing going on. I got hooked on Opcode Max 2 pretty early. I can't remember if Studio Vision or Session 8 was my first real DAW. Before I had a AAW in form of a Fostex 8-Track tape recorder, which I could sync to the Max and Midi stuff...
My first granular synthesizer was an Akai S-612. I think that was before granular was even invented... (I moved the start and end point of the sample loop by hand which created short grains...)

MasterTracks Pro on a Mac Plus. And I wish I could still use it for midi. Nothing I've used since then, DP, PT, Reaper, holds a candle to it for midi workflow. Everything was smooth, nothing required jumping through hoops or changing modes to edit. You couldn't do the million things that Reaper can do, 90% of which have no impact on my tweaking of tracks, and I could add and edit controller info with a directness and ease that Reaper says I don't need to have.

As far as audio recording DAW it would have to be ProDeck and ProEdit. (The precursor to Protools which was released in a state that could only be described as interesting but completely useless for real work. I wasn't the person investing in it, though, so I held on through all the versions of PT that followed until AVID went subscription and was happy to have that skill under my belt as I looked for greener pastures)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”