TAL Drum - discussion

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

orbeater wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am
Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 pm
orbeater wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm Finally, the behaviour that the layers get automatically an arrayed velocity range is not so neessary imho, since you can make that with one right-click and it's context menu.
And yet another thank you. had no idea a right click would bring those selections.

And yes, multiple selection drops should occur across pad or layers. A global preference would work.
I think even a global preference wouldn't be necessary. It could just depend on where you drag and drop the samples:
pad overview = across pads
mapping array = across layers
Or, alternatively, whether you hold down a modifier key while dragging (like in other samplers).

orbeater wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am It could just depend on where you drag and drop the samples
Works for me.
On a number of Macs

I just moved to a new PC and my projects folder is in a slightly different location on D: drive instead of C:

I'm a little disappointed that even though I always saved the samples using "Copy Samples to Directory..." to store them in a sub folder of the project, TAL-Drum apparently uses absolute paths for the samples, and is therefore still looking for them on the C: drive.

I need to manually navigate to the new D: location for each project for Tal-Sampler to find the samples.

Anyone run into this?

I think it would be better if we could also store the samples with a relative path so that projects can be moved around freely.

If it were to be changed, I’d want there to be a choice, rather than a complete change from one to the other. Can’t you define a default library path in the settings?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

He's talking about absolute path and relative path. Absolute path is for example c:/samples/drums and relative is /samples/drums. If you ask me, relative path should be the standard, because you sometimes have to copy the library of presets and samples to another drive and then, since the presets were saved with absolute path, you will have to resave every preset. It wouldn't change anything for those who saved presets with absolute paths, audiojunkie. The library, presets and samples would just be easier to manage that way. :tu: :wink:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Ok. That makes sense. I was thinking something different. For example, in a DAW, you have to select the paths to your plugins. I was thinking that that was what was being talked about—a path to where the samples are located. Thanks for clearing that up.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

DuX wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm He's talking about absolute path and relative path. Absolute path is for example c:/samples/drums and relative is /samples/drums. If you ask me, relative path should be the standard, because you sometimes have to copy the library of presets and samples to another drive and then, since the presets were saved with absolute path, you will have to resave every preset. It wouldn't change anything for those who saved presets with absolute paths, audiojunkie. The library, presets and samples would just be easier to manage that way. :tu: :wink:
I feel like absolute paths are OK to begin with when you're dragging samples from all over the place. But when you consolidate them with "Copy Samples to Directory...", it should shift to relative because usually the samples will be saved in the DAW project folder so that they can be easily moved with the project, or shared with someone else for example.

It would be nice to have a table with all the samples and their paths where you could easily switch between absolute and relative for each sample. Perhaps also a button "set all samples to relative path" and "set all samples to absolute path".

Regardless of if it's done this way or not, I feel there needs to be a way to make the samples self-contained with a DAW project so that they can moved from PC to PC without issues.

IIRK Isn’t there a global preference button to change that?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

In reading the manual again, I'm wondering if the official way to save relative, self-contained projects is to use TAL-drum presets? I have not used presets myself so far, but I'll have to investigate.

The Tal-Drum manual doesn't even explain how to save a preset, as far as I can tell.

However, in the Tal-Sampler manual however it says:
Make sure you save the file-preset on the same drive as the samples,
because the paths inside the preset file are saved relatively! A good practice
is to have the samples in a sub folder of the preset.
And
You can choose “Copy Samples to Preset Directory” or “Save Preset and Samples
to…” to move the samples to the preset. This can be helpful if you use samples from
different drives and locations. You can copy the preset and the samples to another
location or share them with other people.
Anyone work with presets?

liquidsound wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:42 pm IIRK Isn’t there a global preference button to change that?
To change relative/absolute path? No.

The only global setting I see (aside from Middle C) is a "global samples directory" path. This appears to be for someone who stores all his samples in the same folder, to make it easy to change it if you move PC for example.

This is not helpful to me as I don't work like that, I will usually have the tal samples I'm using in a project in a subfolder of the DAW project. So not a global folder.

swivel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 pm
liquidsound wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:42 pm IIRK Isn’t there a global preference button to change that?
To change relative/absolute path? No.

The only global setting I see (aside from Middle C) is a "global samples directory" path. This appears to be for someone who stores all his samples in the same folder, to make it easy to change it if you move PC for example.

This is not helpful to me as I don't work like that, I will usually have the tal samples I'm using in a project in a subfolder of the DAW project. So not a global folder.
Bad memory! :)
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “TAL Software”