How to do this effect?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I would like to know how to do this kind of effect you can hear around (4:22).
I'm talking about this stab kind of sound, you can hear it kind of slow down etc.

https://youtu.be/AIjABI7I964?feature=shared&t=263

Here it's done on the stab sound too (1:40)
https://youtu.be/espYiXor3h4?feature=shared&t=100

I'm using Logic and have no clue how to do it.

Control a parameter like volume or filter cut off with an unsynced LFO at a reasonably fast rate and then slow the rate down over a set period. You can either draw in an automation curve on the LFO rate or modulate it with an envelope or another LFO.

swilow11 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 am Control a parameter like volume or filter cut off with an unsynced LFO at a reasonably fast rate and then slow the rate down over a set period. You can either draw in an automation curve on the LFO rate or modulate it with an envelope or another LFO.
Hmm but it doesn't sound to me like the filter is opening/closing?
The sound seems to speed up/slow down.

Two ways i can easily think of:
1. feed a LFO trigger into and ENV gen and slow the LFO down with automation (virtual) or your fingers (physical) into VCA
2. use an MSEG gen, with many breakpoints and program it with envs slowing down into VCA

oops Three ways: a self oscillating ENV gen with a Time control in fed to a VCA
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm Two ways i can easily think of:
1. feed a LFO trigger into and ENV gen and slow the LFO down with automation (virtual) or your fingers (physical) into VCA
2. use an MSEG gen, with many breakpoints and program it with envs slowing down into VCA

Thanks but I don't really get it how to recreate this in Pigments 5 or Vital. :clown: :borg:
Would be easier to see it on some video tutorial but can't find anything, don't even know how to look for it... :roll:

This effect confuses me as hell, I don't even know how the MIDI notes should look like to get this sound as it sounds as if it was slowing down lol.

Modulate a delay time to go from normal to fast over a bar or so.
Edit: Oops, fast to normal, and add in filter (maybe pitch drop and some white noise in there).

Blech.
Last edited by Dirtgrain on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

isuckatproducing wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 pm

Thanks but I don't really get it how to recreate this in Pigments 5 or Vital. :clown: :borg:
Would be easier to see it on some video tutorial but can't find anything, don't even know how to look for it... :roll:

This effect confuses me as hell, I don't even know how the MIDI notes should look like to get this sound as it sounds as if it was slowing down lol.
Hmm, dunno about a vid tutorial as i prefers written stuff. I'm fairly sure you can do it in Pigments rather easily. Like i typed. LFO to ENV trigger in. You would just put a long note in seq. Read the Pigment manual and i'm sure it will shed light on how to coonect a LFO to a ENV, one will already be patched to the final VCA.
Or maybe someone here who's more familiar can explain although i still recommend to read the manual.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 pm

Hmm, dunno about a vid tutorial as i prefers written stuff. I'm fairly sure you can do it in Pigments rather easily. Like i typed. LFO to ENV trigger in. You would just put a long note in seq. Read the Pigment manual and i'm sure it will shed light on how to coonect a LFO to a ENV, one will already be patched to the final VCA.
Or maybe someone here who's more familiar can explain although i still recommend to read the manual.
So the LFO is supposed to modulate VCA ENV? or other ENV which is connected to the filter? I've never heard of modulating ENV with LFO so far so I find it confusing.

And it's supposed to in the end make the ENV ADSR go down to 0 and up? I guess I don't get it. :lol:

Use the LFO to trigger the ENV, make the ENV very short (almost no ATTACK, very little DECAY.)

isuckatproducing wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 pm
swilow11 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 am Control a parameter like volume or filter cut off with an unsynced LFO at a reasonably fast rate and then slow the rate down over a set period. You can either draw in an automation curve on the LFO rate or modulate it with an envelope or another LFO.
Hmm but it doesn't sound to me like the filter is opening/closing?
The sound seems to speed up/slow down.
As others have mentioned, there are various ways to achieve bit- me mentioning cut-off was just arbitrary, in the first track it sounds like the effect is applied to gain. The tempo warping thing is really just a certain rate of modulation decreasing in speed over time. Choose any synth with an LFO, set that to modulate gain at a relatively fast rate and then dial the rate down over time. For more precision, control the rate with an envelope so it will slow down predictably. There are other ways to achieve this effect with the one I'm mentioning being the quick and dirty way.

This effect can be applied to heaps of different parameters. Sounds cool when using a sine wave, modulating pitch with the LFO and doing the above. Reversing the process is a good layer to add into a riser.

It sounds like note repeat on an MPC, slowing down the time manually. On the first track, it sounds like they did that and then reversed the audio.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:56 am It sounds like note repeat on an MPC, slowing down the time manually. On the first track, it sounds like they did that and then reversed the audio.
Interesting idea. I like how many ways there can be to achieve the same basic sound. You can also do something slightly coarser by using a delay and decreasing delay time, although this gives all the artefacts (often desirable) on pitch that come from using delays in such a way.

I was thinking also about enabling sequencer and automating the rate of sequencer. Had no time to test but it should do the job?

Return to “Production Techniques”