Synthesizers with diversity of presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm Correct me if i am wrong with numbers
Considering that I don't know where you even have those figures from, and lacking any source where I could get such figures from, I don't think it would even be possible to name correct figures.

What's the deal anyway?

zvenx wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm I assumed u mwant 2000 factory presets, not including thied party presets.
rsp
If you can have them from default library or free is the best,but at least to have made 2000 existing,cause otherwise this synth isn't used or is so sophisticated nobody understand it :)
I first wrote 1000,but then realize i myself have made more for some ot them last 6-7 years.
My point is to be is use and to have solid presets list.
Imo Viper have best build in edm library,cause the developer is designer and music maker.
Wonder why people use one or another,should be somehow presets list related :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:12 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm Correct me if i am wrong with numbers
Considering that I don't know where you even have those figures from, and lacking any source where I could get such figures from, I don't think it would even be possible to name correct figures.

What's the deal anyway?
i download 25 000 for synth1 from www,read somewhere that Sylenth1 have over 10 000,the rest is pure suggestion,that dope synths should have some good build in factory presets and plus additional soundsets minimum 2000 presets.
If the synth is used by producers,should have couple of thousands presets,pretty rough calculation for sure,hope somebody to have more precise numbers actually :)

Then avenger gets my vote.
rsp
sound sculptist

"It all starts with a sine wife."

Helmut, 64, doesn't understand her

By the way Sylenth1 for sure have more than 10 000,cause i have in my personal library 7 000 already,made by me,not totally different,more like modifications,so the more used is a synth,the more presets should have i guess :):):)
Spire and Serum users may have more acurate info about that,if somebody decide to share something.
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm pretty sure all of those have way more than that, unless you mean soundsets, and not presets.

But, as has been pointed out, 1. quality over quantity, and, I also can't see how the amount of presets would change anything for most users.

The DX7 has tens of thousands of presets but nines of thousands are duplicates or are so close that the difference is unnoticeable (Tine Piano 1, Tine Piano 1a, and so on).

So sheer number of presets is no indication as to the number of unique presets or the quality of those presets.

Of the "25,000" presets for Synth 1 there are almost certainly many duplicates due to the limitations of its architecture (set number of waveforms, etc).
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sylenth1 has the most repetitive banks of any synth. It was so popular when it came out, every man and his dog just copied other people's work and sold them on

Poor show

Unfortunately, that still happens a lot...

To me is about diversity of ideas,sound quality is easy to be achieved,for example i had some wrong attitude and understanding of Viper,when bought it,just wanted to touch a software Virus,so spend 70-80 euro,can't remember what was the discount exactly and now i have to say i was wrong,because i compare the filters only,but entire architecture gives a lot of options plus external fx,man can achieve even better sound than Virus itself.
So,about how and why... diversity comes with quantity,you can't think,that a man like me who spend 10-11 year chasing quality of sound will not appreciate well made preset,just i (and i guess most people in that boat) need fresh ideas and if can't generate them at this point myself,i prefer to see other people work,so that's why in this case is quantity over quality.
For sure one amazing preset worth more than a thousand mediocre,but i am making my own modifications of everything,so no matter how bad or weird a preset is,if inspire something new, it worth to me.
It's amazing how interesting sometimes things get ,when a fresh look and touch is added from different prospective.
I don't know maybe have to start listen more experimental music,so to have new angle.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 pm at least to have made 2000 existing,cause otherwise this synth isn't used or is so sophisticated nobody understand it :)
Or maybe lots of people use it and make their own sounds, and don't publish them. Probably too busy making music.

That's good point :)
But the problem with diversity of sound and inspiration is permanent imo.
Listen famous DJ - what happening with their music in time,all music become one song, indistinguishable and boring,so similar and the same.
It's common problem i guess.
For example you make modern euro dance / whatever you like to call it.
The beat is the same,the melodies are similar,so how to make a different,distinguish dance track?
I would bet on sound design for sure,but what kind of sound will be attractive and apreciated by dance enthusiasts,which is not the same as previous they used to listen,but understandable?
Any ideas,i still can't find the answer:)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:45 pm diversity comes with quantity,
That's not necessarily true. Diversity comes with features, from range of sounds. A synth with unlimited custom waveforms will have more diversity than one with a few fixed waveforms. One with 2 filters will be capable of more diversity than a synth with only one, a synth with FM and VA capabilities will be more diverse than a synth with only VA and so on....

Come up with a truly unique preset for the DX7. After decades of use and thousands of users there is a very good chance that someone has already made that preset somewhere along the line or at least so close that the difference can only be found at the molecular level.

Quantity of presets can be good but without uniqueness those presets become little more than bloat to be waded through while looking for something different.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

How long does it take to truly listen, hear, and understand a preset? Synths with 20,000 presets are just a massive time sink if you're planning on getting through all of them. I don't think I've listened to more than 5% of the factory prsets with Serum, but I've purchased a few banks from artists I like in styles I make. More doesn't equal better. A quality few make more differenc than an abundance.

That said, the best preset bank I have is the Bazille cookbook, and none are in a style that I would use in my music. Played alongside reading the manual has been a great learning experience for me. I wish more synths had tutorial banks.

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm Obvious ones to start...
Kv331 Audio Synthmaster2: 2000
Rob Papen Blue3: 5000+
Spectrasonics Omnisphere: 14000+
Tone2 Icarus3: 2000+
End thread.

Return to “Instruments”