Improve my Mastering Chain

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sircuit wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:34 pm TL;DR Learn how to mix first, then the master bus chain will reveal itself

Nothing to improve, that's objectively just a random collection of plugins with a limiter last in the chain. I suggest you start with just a limiter on the master chain then mix like there's no tomorrow. It takes hundreds of finished mixes to really understand your needs for the master bus chain.

The master bus chain should only enhance the mix, not fight to fix your mixing mistakes. Slapping gullfoss is already a big red flag. Slapping teote is a second big red flag -- these things will badly punish the tonal balance of the mix with no concern for how you actually want it to sound. Just get a perfeclty mastered song, pass it through these and be amazed by how "wrong" these plugs will consider the mix to be and how much they want to change.

Slapping 3 fullband compressors makes no sense either. The multiband is useful but I'm absolutely convinced is not set up properly, so better without it at your current competence.

The monofilter i suppose is a low end mono maker aka a Side HPF? If yes, it may be needed if you master a song (and you only have access to the stereo file). If you produce your music, take care of that on the tracks. Makes no sense to punish the phase of the entire Side for just a too wide bass.

Inflator? That's the only subjective plugin in your chain. I'd take it out and learn to properly saturate the individual tracks. And then, decide if the master bus chain still needs saturation.

The position of the EQ in the chain is also debatable. Find out what you actually tend to eq more, and decide the positionof the eq in the chain also in the context of what other plugins there are in the chain

100% agree with all.

Actually, I might let him keep Inflator, cuz... well... we need some fun in our methods

:phones:

Return to “Effects”