A Little Thunder pickup - scam? Update: not a scam

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi troops,

Just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with A Little Thunder pickups? Is it a scam or something?

When I sent a pre-sales query via the chat function on their website, Andy Alt of A Little Thunder answered straight away. Lovely.

3 months after having placed an order however, I still haven't received the pickup and Andy Alt is seemingly no longer interested in communicating with me. Not lovely.

Do you know if this is normal? Is it just terrible customer service from A Little Thunder or is it some sort of a malicious rip off?

Thanks in advance for your insight :)
Last edited by dan_flash on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.cel10.com

There are better signatures out there.

https://www.gearnews.com/a-little-thund ... ur-guitar/

This site has 2 user comments that say they got ripped off and product not delivered.

I remember when this first came out, I didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive. I would have paid $30.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:37 pm https://www.gearnews.com/a-little-thund ... ur-guitar/

This site has 2 user comments that say they got ripped off and product not delivered.

I remember when this first came out, I didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive. I would have paid $30.
That's not a good sign at all is it. Sigh.

Yup the price put me off in the early days too but the newer version really caught my eye, thought it looked mega nifty ... I guess it's a case of "if it seems too good to be true..."
www.cel10.com

dan_flash wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:55 am Hi troops,

Just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with A Little Thunder pickups? Is it a scam or something?

When I sent a pre-sales query via the chat function on their website, Andy Alt of A Little Thunder answered straight away. Lovely.

3 months after having placed an order however, I still haven't received the pickup and Andy Alt is seemingly no longer interested in communicating with me. Not lovely.

Do you know if this is normal? Is it just terrible customer service from A Little Thunder or is it some sort of a malicious rip off?

Thanks in advance for your insight :)
I’m having the same issue. I ordered mine back in June! I have messaged them on several occasions. I’m always given a ship date, but it never comes. I honestly don’t know what to do.

Kdorriety wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:15 am
I’m having the same issue. I ordered mine back in June! I have messaged them on several occasions. I’m always given a ship date, but it never comes. I honestly don’t know what to do.
Oh man, June...!?!? That's outrageous and infuriating. How many times have you been given a ship date?

Maybe you could chase up a refund through your bank or something? Surely A Little Thunder could get in serious trouble for not issuing a refund in cases like this, no?

Coincidentally, since posting here, I was given a ship date by Andy and yesterday received a text from DPD stating a package for me has just cleared customs (I'm outwith USA) and will be delivered on 27 Dec.

I suspect that's the pickup and if it is, I'll update this thread.
www.cel10.com

Stupid thing still hasn't arrived - the shipment on 28th Dec was something unrelated.

I guess he fobbed me off with a ag shipping date just like he did with you Kdorriety. Did you look into getting a refund per chance?
www.cel10.com

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I do have a tracking number and it is being shown as in transit to arrive Wednesday. For awhile Andy at A Little Thunders communication was pretty poor, but it seems to be on point again. He was obviously overwhelmed. I've had nothing but good exchanges with him, i even talked to him on the phone, and he has been very clear about why there has been such a long delay in order delivery.
I don't think it's a scam. Just a victim of the extreme parts shortages covid created. I ordered mine almost two years ago at the beginning of the parts shortage. I've been along for the entire ride and still feel confident it'll be worth it.
-Mar

Northman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:55 pm Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I do have a tracking number and it is being shown as in transit to arrive Wednesday. For awhile Andy at A Little Thunders communication was pretty poor, but it seems to be on point again. He was obviously overwhelmed. I've had nothing but good exchanges with him, i even talked to him on the phone, and he has been very clear about why there has been such a long delay in order delivery.
I don't think it's a scam. Just a victim of the extreme parts shortages covid created. I ordered mine almost two years ago at the beginning of the parts shortage. I've been along for the entire ride and still feel confident it'll be worth it.
-Mar
Thanks for the insight mate. Since posting here I also got some communication from Andy and a tracking number which is updated fairly regularly.

It certainly doesn't appear to be a scam now and hopefully the piece arrives in good order.
www.cel10.com

Just a wee update for future readers / A Little Thunder customers.

The pickup arrived as per tracking, was straightforward to install and sounds great.

It's not a scam at all but it seems the supply chain problems mean production can be slow as described by Northman.
www.cel10.com

You could update the first post/thread subject to say so, now.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Any videos up yet? :D
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Hello
I have read with great interest your posts concerning A Little Thunder Pick up and Andy Alt. I cannot believe there haven't been more complaints about this if my story is typical.

I do not usually get involved in these types of discussions but I am totally frustrated. I ordered the pick up in April 21, yes 3 years ago. I agree with a previous post that the initial interactions are great. I also understand that there has been a chip shortage and an pandemic.

I was offered a MK1 as a temporary fix, which I have, It took a long time to arrive. I have had to spend £100 to get it repaired since owning it. The deal was, I would be one of the first to get a MK2 and either exchange it or buy the MK1 I had been sent. I have tried all things, being nice, being an asshole, grovelling to get a straight answer out of the company, very simply when is mine being dispatched. In view of the message, 4.5 week lead time, I assume the backlog is now dealt with, I can't understand the problem unless they are focusing on new orders? After much correspondence I was told that "I was on the next batch" in December 2023 and asked me to confirm my address. At which point I took my guitar apart in readyness. Obviously nothing came. I kept emailing via the chat and eventually was told "it had not been my turn but it is now." Are there really people who have been waiting more than 3 years? I have since asked for a dispatch note, date or something ( I am in the UK) and once more radio silence.

The chat history is also turned off so I can't evidence my interactions unless I take a copy when I make them.

I am at a loss at what to do, I am reluctant to give up as this is an integral part of the band. I think the customer experience is really poor and when I do get a message it always tries to imply I am at fault. I'm sure this wont make any difference, but it has made me feel better. Thank you if you got this far. Steve Foster

The Boss OC-3 pedal can accomplish this with any pickup. It has separate direct and octave outputs so you can send the bass to its own signal chain.

Return to “Guitars”