Logic Pro 10.8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Logic seriously needs a complete rewrite from the ground up, like they did with Final Cut, including a sane and consistent GUI language across all plugins; a decent media/plugin browser; and a free kitten!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:45 am Logic seriously needs a complete rewrite from the ground up, like they did with Final Cut, including a sane and consistent GUI language across all plugins; a decent media/plugin browser; and a free kitten!
Do you remember the outcry when Apple released FCPX? People did not react well to it.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

syntonica wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:45 am Logic seriously needs a complete rewrite from the ground up, like they did with Final Cut, including a sane and consistent GUI language across all plugins; a decent media/plugin browser; and a free kitten!
This is basically what they did for the iPad version.. just need this ported to desktop and have it be less touch centric.

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:36 am
Do you remember the outcry when Apple released FCPX? People did not react well to it.
I do. I an not an FCP user, so I didn't understand all the hullabaloo. As far as I'm concerned, Apple wrecked the GUI with v7 and any overhaul couldn't possibly be worse. :)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

daily patcher wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 am
This is basically what they did for the iPad version.. just need this ported to desktop and have it be less touch centric.
I haven't looked at his UIKit integrates currently with the Cocoa interface, but considering how the grand unification of macOS and iOS is almost complete, that part should be quite simple.

syntonica wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 am
I do. I an not an FCP user, so I didn't understand all the hullabaloo. As far as I'm concerned, Apple wrecked the GUI with v7 and any overhaul couldn't possibly be worse. :)
Me neither. I jumped on Final Cut with the X remake, but I know people who are still using the last non-X version on older Macs. I think the consensus was that Apple "dumbed" down Final Cut.

In either case. It's just a matter of time before they will do the same with Logic.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

syntonica wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 am
Final Cut Pro in 2024 is a lot different from what Final Cut Pro X was in 2011 or 12 - whenever they made that transition.

A lot of things that are there now, were not there then. It was a very green product, and Apple basically had to develop it the way PreSonus did with Studio One to "catch it up" to where Final Cut Pro 7 was.

Also, Apple was actually competing against Avid Media Composer in the Film and Broadcast industry. They intentional decided to pivot and focus on the Content Creator market, and that has absolutely paid off for them. As much crying as those users did, Avid's market performance has absolutely justified Apple's decision. There is little to no growth in that market. It's capped out.

Notice how we never hear of anyone complaining about Media Composer going subscription-only.

People here will lie on Pro Tools (it still has Perpetual Licenses available), but Media Composer is actually the Avid product that has completely dropped them. No one cares, because the people in that market segment were likely easy to transition over, anyways.

I have more issue with the lack of HiDPI interfaces for a lot of the Apple plug-ins than their design language. They're old, I get it. But they at least should have some reasonable standard for usability. Tiny GUIs that get super blurry when scaled up is crazy from a company that has been selling Retina displays longer than almost any other entity.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I think we're on the brink of a major update, here's some clues why I think why:

- no new update since 5 months / basically the same for the iPad version
- recently added plugins such as the master assistant share the same design language as all the iPad version plugins (very similar to the iPad EQ for example)
- the Hardwell producer package is only available for iPad at the moment
- wild guess but one of the Keynote announcement icons of the Apple logo look like a clef in some way
- plugin search already is available on the iPad version
- Apple heavily going the AI route which could also be integrated into Logic

Would also love the see a darker theme for Logic Pro, or at least a way to control brightness and contrast within the app. I have currently increased the display contrast in Mac's Settings and Logic Pro looks much better to me this way.

^^^ https://theme.lpcolorizer.com/product-category/dark/ ? based on the screenshots like the Nightshift one
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am ^^^ https://theme.lpcolorizer.com/product-category/dark/ ? based on the screenshots like the Nightshift one
Thanks, I came across this recently during my browsing, but did not try/buy it. Nightshift one looks amazing but just a bit too dark; can customize it of course. Is it worth buying this software? I hope it won't cause any problems to the Logic Pro app.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 am
xbitz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am ^^^ https://theme.lpcolorizer.com/product-category/dark/ ? based on the screenshots like the Nightshift one
Thanks, I came across this recently during my browsing, but did not try/buy it. Nightshift one looks amazing but just a bit too dark; can customize it of course. Is it worth buying this software? I hope it won't cause any problems to the Logic Pro app.
it doesn't cause any problems. I've tried to make a darkmode like FCPX but there's too many things still that don't look right and look a bit out of place / sloppy / wrong, so you need to resort to manually editing stuff. :dog:

viewtopic.php?t=574298

i.e. fader graphics are still just rounded blocks with a line, to make it look right you need to manually replace faders.

i bought v1, v2 and so far steered away from v3.
everytime i see it used i feel like i'm looking at a car from Fast & Furious. it just feels cheap.

in my opinion, unless you know how to do things yourself a bit and think graphics and tinkering is fun, it's not worth it.

edit: even in the nightshift screenshot you can see anomalies on pan knobs. Kerning is off and there's a weird shadow on top
also nightshift doesn't have boxes for fader and level values.
that's the thing, something always looks wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ploki wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 am
it doesn't cause any problems. I've tried to make a darkmode like FCPX but there's too many things still that don't look right and look a bit out of place / sloppy / wrong, so you need to resort to manually editing stuff. :dog:

viewtopic.php?t=574298

i.e. fader graphics are still just rounded blocks with a line, to make it look right you need to manually replace faders.

i bought v1, v2 and so far steered away from v3.
everytime i see it used i feel like i'm looking at a car from Fast & Furious. it just feels cheap.

in my opinion, unless you know how to do things yourself a bit and think graphics and tinkering is fun, it's not worth it.
I understand. Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions. But perhaps the V3 is a lot better and you would get better results with it?

I would not want to waste time in tinkering of course, so a decent dark theme (like the Nightshift above) with a little editing should be enough. I don't dislike Logic Pro UI/colors, in fact, I love it. It's only that a bit more contrast and a slighter darker feel overall would be an icing on the cake.

Edit: Thanks for the screenshot. I see what you mean. Not being native means such things are expected and would surely spoil the mood. I will probably avoid buying it.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 am
I understand. Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions. But perhaps the V3 is a lot better and you would get better results with it?

I would not want to waste time in tinkering of course, so a decent dark theme (like the Nightshift above) with a little editing should be enough. I don't dislike Logic Pro UI/colors, in fact, I love it. It's only that a bit more contrast and a slighter darker feel overall would be an icing on the cake.

Edit: Thanks for the screenshot. I see what you mean. Not being native means such things are expected and would surely spoil the mood. I will probably avoid buying it.
exactly :)
my dark theme was a close to "stock" FCPX-darklike I could get with V2 (will maybe try with V3 again) but i needed to manually replace graphics in addition to Colorizer and edit some XMLs after colorizer colorized.
And even then some things were off so i didn't use it because it irked me (and thus never published it anywhere either)

i'm hoping 10.9 brings Logic for iPad colorscheme to mac.

Yeah, true. The Colorizer app is great, just that it can't be 100%.

I also hope Logic Pro 10.9 or whatever it is brings an option for color schemes. Logic for iPad one is a bit too dark to me from the photos/videos I see but maybe it looks fine in real. Either way, looking forward to the next update. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”