MSL loops and 'multiples of the main loop'

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first loop that you record is very special, it is called the "main loop" and it affects everything that happens afterwards - every loop that you then record will need to be the same length or a multiple of it.
This restriction means that the second loop onwards must be equal or greater length (in multiples) of the original main loop. Why not allow a smaller fraction?

For example, what if I want my first loop to be 4 bars to have a nice long initial loop before I start layering. But then I can't add a 2-bar loop, or a 1-bar loop. I can't understand this limitation.

At this moment due to correct synchronization, it is implemented as you wrote and MSL has a lot of features based on the main loop. This loop is used for syncing other loops, as there is a lot of scenarios, what can be done during playback/recording to keep things in sync.

As workaround, you can create 1st silent dummy loop i.e with 1 bar and there you can do the things which you want without this limitation.

We will consider adding an option, which will allows to record also shorter loops than main loop, but be aware there can be some cons with it. It will work fine if you record 1st loop as 4bars and then second loop as 1 or 2 bar (factor of main loop). What if other loop is not factor of main loop, i.e 3 bars? Possibly we can limit it to just factors of the main loop to avoid unwanted output, this I think can be implemented.

Thanks Martin. There are so many creative players and use-cases for live looping, that IMO it would be better not to have forced restrictions. Looping is definitely a skill that needs to be developed. But I don’t think MSL should be applying these sorts of guard rails.

Okay, agreed, no restrictions here. I've added this to our internal MSL change list.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Personally I have no need for this, but what you should be requesting is:
Divisions of Main loop check switch option.
Good luck.

...and someday, i hope, totally independent loop times, free-running, not tied to bar/beat/tempo....

Return to “MeldaProduction”