Which DAW is fastest to load?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harddaysnight wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 am Live 12 loads super quick but it takes about 100yrs to scan for plugins.
Can you use live as a replacement for the boss looper? It was a little convoluted the last time I tried, not sure if that’s still the case.

The question is: does it really matter that your Daw of choice will load faster or slower by few seconds?
Will that make your music better if it loads faster? :wink:

keyman_sam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 pm
harddaysnight wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 am Live 12 loads super quick but it takes about 100yrs to scan for plugins.
Can you use live as a replacement for the boss looper? It was a little convoluted the last time I tried, not sure if that’s still the case.
Yes you can, it does take a little while to learn, but you most definitely can.

I've had multiple variations of Ableton Live working flawlessly as a looper for a while now, I only just recently bought 12 Suite, but I've trialled Live in the past and have had it working since then.

I spent a lot of time just seeing what was possible with the looping side of things and basically the sky's the limit. There's isn't really anything it can't do - and you've got access to software plugins to use with it which is cool as heck.

I have done 4hr+ gigs with my MacBook, Ableton Live and a MIDI controller in the past and there was no issues whatsoever, I don't need the MacBook anywhere near me but it's handy for it to be somewhat close because I also use it for background music on my breaks.

Most certainly possible. But you will have to spend some time learning about what you're doing, and routing things correctly + figuring out exactly how you want your own looping setup to work, because it can pretty much work however you want it to.

mdx4ever wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm The question is: does it really matter that your Daw of choice will load faster or slower by few seconds?
Will that make your music better if it loads faster? :wink:
Yes. The time window to lose the inspiration is very small ;) the faster the DAW opens up, the better!
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

For a true nerd,such as myself,its not just about how quick a DAW loads,its also about lack of bloat and efficiency.

Many DAWs started off small,Cubase and Logic once upon a time fitted on a floppy disk.Its about how bloated and inneficient they become over time.

EnergyXT 64 is just a 1.05 MegaByte download,and yet fits a whole DAW on board. And it boots blazingly fast because of this. There is also an excellent companion subtractive VST to download along with it, which means the whole dowload is less that two MBs. Just add Synth1 and your good to go to make music ,and all for nothing.

*edit: I should have pointed out that EnergyXT64 is prone to crashing,so do not use it for anything serious.

It doesn't matter if a daw starts up quickly if you have to spend time finding sounds and adding tracks + FX after it is ready to go.

It is better to have a startup template with your fx set up and a few instruments that are ready for recording as soon as the Daw is opened even if it takes a little bit more time to start up.

The start up time even if it takes upto a minute before it is ready is much faster than starting with a blank template that you have to set up every time after you have fired up your DAW.

True. I have Ableton setup so I have quick shortcuts to synths etc. colourcoded, just open up I have ready template, but no synths. Two clicks and synths are there, start to play. Took max 10s? Hehe
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

This what I got from my PC.

REAPER: 0.99 sec
Renoise: 1.84 sec
Ableton 11.1: 3.89 sec
Studio One: 7.11 sec
Bitwig: 18.87 sec
Ableton 11.3 - 12: 1.04 min
:borg: :borg: Furnace // Renoise // Ableton // Reaper :borg: :borg:

Latest Live 12 beta is taking less than 4 seconds to load here (on Mac).

Yorrrrrr wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:35 pm Latest Live 12 beta is taking less than 4 seconds to load here (on Mac).
Agreed :)
Ableton always, but….
Logic even faster.
But it really Matter…?

QuietSheep wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 am This what I got from my PC.

What. What is it doing during that time?

legendCNCD wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am
QuietSheep wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 am This what I got from my PC.

What. What is it doing during that time?
Spent almost a week troubleshooting and did a massive uninstall after that and cleaned everything. Loads pretty much instantaneously, like 2-3 seconds. Plugin scan even got fixed.

Either something happened in directories, or it had something to do with the massive 2TB+ chasm of samples I have on there that it was constantly doing analysis similarity scans and never completing. I just disabled it, wasn't using it anyway.

EDIT: Nvm about the plugin scan. Still slow as ever. Watched an entire episode of Bobs Burgers and it is still going.
Last edited by QuietSheep on Thu May 02, 2024 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
:borg: :borg: Furnace // Renoise // Ableton // Reaper :borg: :borg:

On my M1 MacBook Pro, it take Studio One 6.6 exactly 8 seconds from the moment I click the icon to launch it, until it is ready to use. This includes scanning 625 plugins, which takes 3 seconds.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”