Beta Testing of Bitwig Studio 5.2

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ChanceB wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:34 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:57 am
ChanceB wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 am The cursor changes based on where it is on Bitwig’s interface even when a plugin is open and focused
Doesn't happen for me when the plugin is focused. I'm on Mac
I’m also on a Mac,forgot to mention that part. I’m not sure I remember this problem happening before the beta update but I only recently started really using Bitwig. What does the cursor do on your end
The cursor acts normal when the plugin is in focus and it responds to what is underneath when Bitwig is in focus.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:39 am
ChanceB wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 am
sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 am What really grinds my gears is that they overdid the graphics engine, and still the same bug persists.
I've bought a new license because I was excited it might be gone for good, but no...
I can't believe that any Mac user isn't bothered by the mouse cursor following whatever is underneath it even though a plugin window is above it.
Im mostly an Fl user and just recently started getting into Bitwig and didn’t notice this until I saw this post. The cursor changes based on where it is on Bitwig’s interface even when a plugin is open and focused,reacting to what under the plugin. Actually now that I’m looking at it it’s not just the cursor but clips are being highlighted under the plugin. Kind of irritating now that I noticed it
It doesn't happen to me.
I am on MacBook M2 pro, latest Sonoma.

Any specific plug in?
It’s happens with every plugin I’ve tried both synths and effects,vst2 and vst3. The only ones that almost work properly are the Nakst synths with those the cursor stays an arrow except when I move it it glitches to different shapes very quickly but returns to the arrow upon rest. If this was happening before the beta I may not have noticed it because until today I was mostly just messing around in the clip launcher where the cursor doesn’t change much

It happens all the time with every plugin if it's active or not... since like forever. I was a Bitwig user 4 years ago, then I got a Mac and this bugged me so much that I had to switch to Live. Now the Graphics engine was renewed, I thought to myself: yeah! they must have fixed it! Just to find out that it's still there.
I reported it and had a discussion with the staff, and the final answer was like... "it's fine. that's how it is. we can't change it"
Here comes the kicker: I've bought a second screen which arrived yesterday to put plugin windows on in order to avoid the "hovering issue".... since I don't believe they are ever going to fix that.
That's how much I like Bitwig
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am It happens all the time with every plugin if it's active or not... since like forever. I was a Bitwig user 4 years ago, then I got a Mac and this bugged me so much that I had to switch to Live. Now the Graphics engine was renewed, I thought to myself: yeah! they must have fixed it! Just to find out that it's still there.
I reported it and had a discussion with the staff, and the final answer was like... "it's fine. that's how it is. we can't change it"
Here comes the kicker: I've bought a second screen which arrived yesterday to put plugin windows on in order to avoid the "hovering issue".... since I don't believe they are ever going to fix that.
That's how much I like Bitwig
This is definitely irritating and makes it harder to accurately manipulate a plugin’s interface but I guess I can just work in the clip launcher when working on a synth patch

ChanceB wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 amThis is definitely irritating and makes it harder to accurately manipulate a plugin’s interface but I guess I can just work in the clip launcher when working on a synth patch
It also happens in the clip launcher (mix view). The only difference being that there aren't much places the cursor changes to anything else. If the plugin is above, for example the place where you can drag the size of the volume fader of the mixer, the mouse cursor still changes to the upside-downside icon...
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am It happens all the time with every plugin if it's active or not...
It's weird that it only does it for me if Bitwig is in focus and we are both on Macs... I have a M1 MBP... you?

pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:52 am
That doesn't happen if the plugin is selected.
Yes it does. At least when Bitwig is used full screen

pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:56 am
sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am It happens all the time with every plugin if it's active or not...
It's weird that it only does it for me if Bitwig is in focus and we are both on Macs... I have a M1 MBP... you?
I have a M1 MacBook Pro and an M2 Mac mini and it happens on both
edit: and it's not OS version dependent... I'm on the latest Sonoma 14.4.1 , but it was the case way back on whatever version was actual 3-4 years ago
Last edited by sQeetz on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:52 am
That doesn't happen if the plugin is selected.
Yes it does. At least when Bitwig is used full screen
Oh yeah... now I remember. We discussed this before. I never use full screen mode that's why I never have the problem

Full screen mode is the only way to gain some screen real estate... since Bitwig is not an usual Mac app, it does not utilize the menu system, so it's a waste of space... IMO

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 am
ChanceB wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 amThis is definitely irritating and makes it harder to accurately manipulate a plugin’s interface but I guess I can just work in the clip launcher when working on a synth patch
It also happens in the clip launcher (mix view). The only difference being that there aren't much places the cursor changes to anything else. If the plugin is above, for example the place where you can drag the size of the volume fader of the mixer, the mouse cursor still changes to the upside-downside icon...
I noticed that but it’s definitely more usable

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:07 am Full screen mode is the only way to gain some screen real estate... since Bitwig is not an usual Mac app, it does not utilize the menu system, so it's a waste of space... IMO
So it works properly when not maximized, it seems like they could fix that pretty easily. I have a 13 m1 air so I definitely need all the screen real estate I can get.

ChanceB wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 am
I noticed that but it’s definitely more usable
It indeed is.
Like already mentioned: I've bought a second screen to drag plugins into because I fear that that is never gonna be fixed

Maybe if more people start complaining about it, they'll reconsider... but last time I've tried, they just went meh... doesn't bother anyone else, so it stays that way...

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 am Maybe if more people start complaining about it, they'll reconsider... but last time I've tried, they just went meh... doesn't bother anyone else, so it stays that way...
That's quite a strange & worrysome reaction to an obvious bug indeed. :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”