Anybody tried the Zrythm open source DAW?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks pretty nifty and doesn't do the donation dance that you get from Ardour:

https://www.zrythm.org/en/index.html

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Zrythm-1.0-RC1

Zrythm 1.0 RC1 Available For Testing As Great Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

MULTIMEDIASince going beta in 2020, the Zrythm open-source digital audio workstation software has been inching its way toward a v1.0 release. On Saturday marked the release of v1.0.0-rc.1 as a release candidate for the upcoming v1.0 release of this GTK-based digital audio workstation (DAW) software.

Following an RC0 release earlier this month, Zrythm 1.0 RC1 made it out on Saturday. This new release candidate adds a Windows UWP "RtMidi" MIDI back-end, drops some now unused dependencies, and has various other alterations and fixes.
Zrythm

Those wanting to download the Zrythm 1.0 release candidate for Linux, Windows, and macOS systems can do so via GitHub. Those learning about the Zrythm digital audio workstation for the first time can learn more on this open-source project at Zrythm.org.

I tried it a week or two ago and for me at least it was completely unusable. Just tried again and it's the same story. I use Pipewire on Wayland. Ardour can handle this. zrythm apparently cannot. Firstly it will crash if I try to create a new project using the blank template. It will only work if I use the demo project template. Then it defaults to using JACK. No problem, I'll just change that in preferences. I do and then try to restart to apply the changes. But clicking the close button just causes it to "stop responding" until I eventually have to force quit. And then its back to JACK again.

The UI is made up of buttons with no text labels. There is supposed to be tooltips but they don't work here. I'm assuming that this and the inability to exit are wayland-related but I could be wrong.

I really wanted to give it a chance as it supports clap unlike Ardour and Bespoke but it still has a long, long way to go.
Image Image Image Image

I have not used it yet, but I may consider trying it out if it is MPE-compatible.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”