Uhbik 2.0 public alpha 02, rev. 9629 (Catalina ready)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think that a more acurate picture is:
- Two devs left.
- Pandemic.
- Clap prioritised.
- M1/Apple stuff. (Not 100% on this one, or its order).
- MFM prioritised.
- Filterscape prioritised.
- Zebralette prioritised.

So removing any of these circumstances would have advanced Uhbik's release date. Some of them are decisions or consequences of them. I'm not judging if the decisions are correct or not, just expressing that in my opinion this 4-5 year delay on Uhbik isn't only the pandemic.

Also agree that no one needs additional stress, especially at our age, but I can easily understand someone buying based on the 2.0 betas being disappointed at this point 4-5 years after.

EDIT: I add this one thing just as an edit in case you haven't realized. We don't really want to spend more energy on this and myself I prefer the thing delayed than a half-assed rushed efort, having said that, I wanted to add that someone that bought full price in 2019-2020 thinking that the price was going to increase after the release has not only waited, but actually seen the price decrease during the last sale.
Last edited by rafa1981 on Mon May 06, 2024 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hehehe, apart from Apple stuff (which indirectly led to CLAP), those are all repercussions of the pandemic. Hiring, training and *keeping* people during lockdowns was quite the challenge, and MFM/Filterscape were easier to start with than Uhbik.

As for the disappointment, I understood it the first time he posted about it.

Uhbik was the first pro-level plugins I ever bought. The fact that there WILL be a free update is very encouraging to me. Currently, I’m not using them. The one reason why I would be impatient is that you have pure compression candy in your pocket with that uhbik-c there, Urs. I would probably have been able to resist several other plugins I bought in the meantime. I know, that’s a personal problem of mine, but still.

Then again, right now, I’m much more looking forward to Z3 and my guess is that the market as a whole also rewards the synth release more than audio fx? Also, people have been nagging for Z3 for much longer than uhbiks.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

sQeetz wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:06 pm ... I don't actually really want/need any of those anymore anyway
I do, though. They're really good and tools and I miss them on my arm mac. But I also understand why they've been delayed and I know that some day I will come here and they will be back and that's something to look forward to.

I know this is not a Presswerk thread, but would it be difficult to add upward compression with range to Presswerk?

limitlesssss wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:53 pm would it be difficult to add upward compression with range to Presswerk?
Yes, it would be very difficult.

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:01 am
limitlesssss wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:53 pm would it be difficult to add upward compression with range to Presswerk?
Yes, it would be very difficult.
So I guess it'll never happen? Would love to see your take on upward compression Urs.

It’s called “inflation” in Uhbik-C and i cant wait it becomes available again.
Haven’t really found anything as cool as that and it’s sorely missed

Ploki wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:10 am It’s called “inflation” in Uhbik-C and i cant wait it becomes available again.
Haven’t really found anything as cool as that and it’s sorely missed
Oh so Uhbik-C does have upward compression. SWEET. Can't wait to use it. Thank you Urs.

I'd sure like to see these things finished already. I get the difficulty, but jeez....5 years? Surely some progress can be made?
On a number of Macs

Large progress has been made since we released Filterscape. Like, the surround layer was pretty much rewritten from scratch. It should be awesome now. A vast dev project that dealt with displaying abstract parameter values in meaningful units was reconsolidated in our codebase and numerous bugs fixed.

We have a few more construction areas left before we can publish an update. I'm unhappy with the envelope followers in Uhbik. I'm unhappy that some of the new algorithms are not surround capable yet. The work I did for Filterscape EQ controls has to be translated to Uhbik-Q. The new filter algorithms in Runciter are broken currently, I guess I have to spend a few weeks later this summer on them.

Really, really looking forward to updated Uhbiks. A lot!
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

Urs wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:27 am
sQeetz wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:06 pm I've paid for this update maybe 5 years ago?
No pressure... it's all good I don't actually really want/need any of those anymore anyway
There was no paid update. I'm sorry if the original roadmap was trashed by the repercussions of a global pandemic, but subverting our efforts by less than helpful comments isn't going to make anyone feel better about it.
I'm sorry for being rude...
Bought the "old uhbiks" in the prospect of getting the new ones ages ago....
I just had them for so long without being able to use any of them for so long ...unusable in the current alpha shape....
take your time and make them perfect
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

I bet most people are not aware how difficult it is to replace one or two programmers when they leave - in a highly complicated / specialized codebase. Right now it's very difficult to hire, and even then it takes quite a while for someone new to ramp up until he becomes productive. This has the potential to grind progress to a halt for years.

And I appreciate Urs being rather transparent about the progress / lack of progress in some areas.
Urs wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:59 pm We have a few more construction areas left before we can publish an update. I'm unhappy with the envelope followers in Uhbik. I'm unhappy that some of the new algorithms are not surround capable yet. The work I did for Filterscape EQ controls has to be translated to Uhbik-Q. The new filter algorithms in Runciter are broken currently, I guess I have to spend a few weeks later this summer on them.
I'm just a little worried that you split yourself very thin here, with all the work on Zebra 3, etc.
But you mentioned a few times that work on one project usually also benefits others.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Return to “u-he”