Arturia releases MiniBrute V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:33 pm I'll take an objective test (comparison with hardware) over subjective test (trying a demo) any time.
Why? I don't own a Minibrute so it really doesn't matter how close it sounds to the hardware, all that matters is how it sounds and am I willing to depart with the funds to pay the asking price

I also don't own a Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, or any of the other instruments in the V collection with the exception of a piano and a DX7

For me the Minibrute V is $69. I like the instrument but not for $69. It's not really relevant at all how closely it resembles the hardware as I am not making a choice between buying the hardware of the software, I have a binary choice of buy the software or no

I am still on V Collection 8, this will be included as part of V collection 11, I will just wait until that goes on black Friday sale

seafire wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:06 am
davidka wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:50 am And theyre releasing a software version of the Polybrute
Wait, what? Is this mentioned anywhere officially?
Nope.

Pure speculation
Sorry, thought Id read they were releasing a VST version
Amazon: why not use an alternative

is it me, or does that filter sounds nice?

I have the hardware and this is a nice emulation.

I just could not get why today’s most advanced cpu have so bad hit by all these synths. They have to find a way to optimize the multi core thing.

UltimiGiorniRecords wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:22 pm I have the hardware and this is a nice emulation.

I just could not get why today’s most advanced cpu have so bad hit by all these synths. They have to find a way to optimize the multi core thing.
I'm not a coder, but from what I've heard, getting any sort of distortion or feedback to sound nice is not easy on the ol' CPU, no matter how optimized your code is. This is why so many synths alias a lot when distortion is generated, even when a filter goes into self oscillation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:19 pm Ultimately it was a confirmation of the type of bias we all have.
If you admit you have confirmation bias, like we all do, then that is precisely why I won't take anyone's subjective opinion on how great it is, until I hear an objective comparison between emulation and hardware. Apparently, that upsets many big egos on this forum.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:19 pm Ultimately it was a confirmation of the type of bias we all have.
If you admit you have confirmation bias, like we all do, then that is precisely why I won't take anyone's subjective opinion on how great it is, until I hear an objective comparison between emulation and hardware. Apparently, that upsets many big egos on this forum.
If you are that bothered about it, you can pick the hardware up on ebay cheaper than the full price of the software.

I can't believe people are arguing about the importance of authenticity when emulating the Minibrute, of all synths. It's hardly iconic or something that is known to sound amazing without processing. If the VST sounds good to you, that's way more important than getting that "classic Minibrute sound". And I'd argue that adding effects and polyphony address the two biggest weaknesses of the synth and vastly improve it.

I have a minibrute and this thing is very impressive as far as I'm concerned. Great job arturia!

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 pm
Again I ask what difference does it make if it sounds like the hardware?

You yourself either like the sound of the plugin or you don't. If you own the hardware you can download the demo and compare if you don't than it really doesn't matter

IvyBirds wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:01 pm

You yourself either like the sound of the plugin or you don't. If you own the hardware you can download the demo and compare if you don't than it really doesn't matter
If you bothered to read the thread you would know why.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:10 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:01 pm

If you bothered to read the thread you would know why.
I have read the thread and it doesn't make sense, it's why I asked you the question

If it sounds exactly the same but you don't like the sound of the hardware are you still going to buy it?

If it doesn't but you like the sound of the plugin are you going to buy it?

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 pm If you admit you have confirmation bias, like we all do, then that is precisely why I won't take anyone's subjective opinion on how great it is, until I hear an objective comparison between emulation and hardware.
Nobody is trying to force their own subjective opinion on you... people have been encouraging trying the demo so you can form your own subjective opinion. (And if we can't even say "I think this sounds good" anymore, I don't know what the forum is even for.)

I personally doubt the value of "objective comparisons" of emulations with original hardware. I sure wouldn't buy a 100% objectively perfect emulation of a Timbre Wolf.

I only care about an emulation if it sounds good, is inspiring and/or fascinating -- the same motives I have with original synth designs. Accuracy only matters to me in so far as it captures something that I particularly liked about the original. (Like the weird raspy noise of low notes on Yamaha FM synths... for some reason that's catnip to me.)

So my criteria for Minibrute V emulation is "does it seem about right in terms of Brute Factor behavior? That sort of rounded-off warmer gentleness it gets before you push it too far and it starts growling and screaming instead?" And it does. It feels plausibly like I'm playing a Brute synth. It might or might not stand up to an A/B test, but to my subjective opinion, that's kind of irrelevant.

(Honestly, I am still probably not gonna buy because I do have the Mini 2S and entirely too many synths overall anyway.)

exmatproton wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:10 pm is it me, or does that filter sounds nice?
Yeah, it has the right amount of spit.

Imagine their today's audio DSP standards in their behemoth Modular VST... :o

zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:39 pm I'm not a coder, but from what I've heard, getting any sort of distortion or feedback to sound nice is not easy on the ol' CPU, no matter how optimized your code is. This is why so many synths alias a lot when distortion is generated, even when a filter goes into self oscillation.
I'm honestly not sure about that. I mean looking at quite old VSTs like impOSCar (already back in v1) - the drive you get by pushing the filter and volume (together for max saturation) is glorious. And that stuff was made without boiling the CPU ten+ years ago.

I think it's just different approaches. But just like you, I am not a coder.

/Carl
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Instruments”