The AMD 3800+ X2 is AMAZING!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally got the chance to see exactly how much better my new AMD X2 3800+ dual core was compared to my old Intel 2.53 Ghz processor. :shock: The same song I did with 3 instances of Blue and Stylus RMX that was making my CPU hit 100% and hovered around 80% never went past 29% on my new box, and hovered around 20%-25%! :hihi: Happy day!

Parts I used -

AMD 3800+ X2
2 Gigs of OCZ PC3200 2-3-2-5 memory
MSI K8N Neo2-F
Zalman AiCu7000b CPU cooler

With the Sonata II case, the total was about $800 for those parts. I was also surprised and happy to see that even though Cubase SX 2 doesn't 'support' dual core, it was using both 'processors' anyway.

Nice to find out I didn't waste my money on this rig. Just wanted to give some real world numbers as to how much better the X2 is, even with the low end chip.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

:o :party: :hyper:

Wk

I think its more likely the faster memory makes more difference.

DG.

Dorian Gray wrote:I think its more likely the faster memory makes more difference.

DG.
Not according to benchtesting or from those that report similar results from just upgrading the CPU on their boards.
Last edited by itsplayed on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
""The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."" -- Albert Einstein

Devon: since I'm using a single-core AMD64 on my K8N Neo4 Plat and you're using a Neo2 - safe for me to assume that I could probably go to a X2 as well with a BIOS update?

Wow. My fastest machine is a clunky old 1.7 ghz. You lucky dog, you!

Maybe prices will drop in the new year enough that I can finally make a meaningful upgrade.

those numbers from a respectable source like you..

f**k yeah!!

I'm gonna grab a X2 in january and can't wait now.

Har wrote:Devon: since I'm using a single-core AMD64 on my K8N Neo4 Plat and you're using a Neo2 - safe for me to assume that I could probably go to a X2 as well with a BIOS update?
yeah they will work just fine with neo4.

a great source of info here:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?board=28.0

DevonB Wrote:
I was also surprised and happy to see that even though Cubase SX 2 doesn't 'support' dual core, it was using both 'processors' anyway.

Devon
SX2 does support dual processors. This from the SX2 help file....
Multi Processing:
This option is only available if there's more than one CPU in the computer. If activated, Cubase SX/SL will automatically distribute the processing evenly between all CPUs, for optimum performance.
SX3 extends this by adding support for more than two processors (for example with dual processor dual core systems).
""The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."" -- Albert Einstein

AMD destroys intel for your DAW - my Dual Processor Opteron rips with cubase now.. compared to my 3.0 gig p4.. it's out of the park

AMD Destroys intel (64 bit mind you) right now for processing, especially DAW processing.

Is this it ?

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/pro ... ctid=18720

Dual core 3800, clock 2 ghz , 64 bits ?

So how will this make me go faster, since I have an AMD 2400 at 2ghz clock speed ?

Assuming that my vsti's will only be running on 1 core unless I use cubase 3 or Sonar 5 ? Is that true.

Man its just a swindle all these numbers, when most apps and games will only work on 1 core, and not even in 64 bit mode.

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/pro ... ctid=18524

Won't this single core 3800 run fast ?

DG.

These X2s really do kick some A. I can throw all my best plugins at HQ at a mix and run it in real time - just so much less hassle than my P4 was and if you are buying Nforce3 or VIa chipsets the boards are cheap, AGP graphics start very cheap and RAM is cheap too. This is a great time for an upgrade.

Dorian Gray wrote:Is this it ?

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/pro ... ctid=18720

Dual core 3800, clock 2 ghz , 64 bits ?

So how will this make me go faster, since I have an AMD 2400 at 2ghz clock speed ?

Assuming that my vsti's will only be running on 1 core unless I use cubase 3 or Sonar 5 ? Is that true.

Man its just a swindle all these numbers, when most apps and games will only work on 1 core, and not even in 64 bit mode.

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/pro ... ctid=18524

Won't this single core 3800 run fast ?

DG.
Certainly it will, investing in a dual core processor does only make sense if the app. your running takes advantage of it. Otherwise a single core makes more sense at this time. If single core is all you need at this time the purchase of a Mobo that's capable of that dual core upgrade makes the most sense, as more and more apps./progs. will most likely begin to take advantage of it as well. This makes for the cheapest upgrade path in the future when you will certainly want that dual core processor.

Why ?

Why would I want a dual core cpu 3800, when I can get a single core 3800 ?

The single core 3800 is going to run faster. Hmm maybe, they are good at hiding their clock speeds and lots of useless numbers lately.

What upgrade path, my experience with cpu's is the one 6 months down the line is a new spec, that needs a new motherboard and memory spec. Usually changing your cpu is just not possible, it usually involves a mobo, memory and cpu combo.

DG.

Dorian Gray wrote:Why ?

Why would I want a dual core cpu 3800, when I can get a single core 3800 ?

The single core 3800 is going to run faster. Hmm maybe, they are good at hiding their clock speeds and lots of useless numbers lately.
X2 3200 is two cores running at 2.0 GHz.

Athlon 64 3500 is one core at 2.2GHz, the 3700, 3800, and 4000 single cores are a speed grade or two higher 2.4 Ghz and 2.6 Ghz from memory.

For running lots of plugins simultaneously in Cubase SX the X2s kill the single cores. No question about it.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”