Best music software of 2008

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here, in my opinion, are the 10 best music software products and innovations of 2008, in no particular order:

Music Lab Real Strat: Redefines the concept of the virtual guitarist. A giant leap forward.

Tone 2 Gladiator: With Harmonic Content Morphing, FM, Analogue Modelling, vocoding, and a distinctly 'hardware' sound, this (in my opinion) ties for best 'workstation' supersynth of 2008 with Helix.

Sonic Charge Synplant: Plant seeds and grow sounds. Watch the sun come up. Keep growing/going. Incredibly simple and addictive take on synthesis that finally embraces the computer age.

Audio Damage Automaton: The FX version of Synplant. Watch, and listen, as your sequences go nuts in ways that you could only dream of.

Novation Automap Universal 2.0: Brings us even closer in the quest for perfect hardware/software harmony.

IK Multimedia ARC: Gimmicky? Overpriced? Genius? Hmmm...still a great innovation in improving the accoustics of your room. IK should cut that price and watch these puppies fly off the shelf.

TAL Vocoder/TAL Bassline: Freeware to match the very best commercial offerings.

112db Morgana: A retro inspired sampler with a deliciously crunchy sound.

Melodyne Direct Note Access: With just one sample CD and this, the possibilites boggle the mind.

Audjoo Helix: Tied with Gladiator for best workhorse monster synth of 2008. Gorgeous sound, with wave table, physical modelling and phase modulation. This (along with Gladiator, Zebra and Sylenth), should finally put to rest the argument that software synths can't take on their hardware couterparts.

www.phatsobrown.com
Last edited by dj ray on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

* SampleModelling 'The Trumpet' - such amazing sounds, great variety of instruments, and a superb price.

* Some more instruments from Ziokiller.

These bring us closer to instruments that actually live and breathe like the real thing.

I was considering adding a few more things, but they may not be released until 2009, so I'll keep a tight lip. There is a revolutionary guitar/bass synth in the works, and Cognitone have something coming out soon that will totally change the way people think about creating music on a computer.

Ben
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

It really depends if Alchemy is released b 4 the end of the year or not. I dunno, Camel might just make it this winter. Ben said fall, but the season is passing by quickly.

Alchemy....Has an unbelievable spec. It will be interesting to experience it, when it is out............

+ That Sonalksis mastering suite is unreal. And Wasn't max 5.0 released this year? Max 5.0 is awesome. Far easier to use than any other max.

Ofcouse, that Vienna Suite for Mixing, looks radical. However, it has just been released. Its dongled, its hard to demo... meh, verdict is out on that I suppose, but it looks promising.

I don't know anything about the room correction software. Does ARC really work?

You should add a rule where people can't nominate a product unless its been tested by them.

I would add:

IK's X-Gear. While I'm not a big fan of the infinite "must have" specialty add-ons to Amplitube 2, I must say that the advent of X-gear really lets you put everything in its place. The mix 'n' match possibilities of all the IK Amplitube components are limitless.

IL's Maximus. Finally, a limiter/compressor for the rest of us. Easy to understand graphic interface, very clean and useful sound.

Cubase 4.5. The 4.5 release this past summer added a bunch of content and really stepped up this already very powerful package. In addition to the quality that Cubase users expect, this release makes it a truly "right-out-of-the-box" production package. Had I started with this version rather than SX2, I probably wouldn't own as many 3rd party plugs as I now do, simply because they're redundant.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Yes, Alchemy is definitely one to watch out for!

Zebra 2.3
still the best.

+1 for automaton.. can go crazy or conversely be a handy tool- automate it on a drum loop/machine track to come on at the end of 4,8 or 16 bars for an instant nice fill/pickup... easy!

MCnoone wrote:Zebra 2.3
still the best.
When was 2.3 released? I still have 2.2.

Cubase 4.52
Omnisphere
Gladiator
UAD Moog Multimode Filter
Volcano 2
WarmVerb
Crunchessor 2
-------------------
Sonnox Native Plugs

Just wanted to add that while Direct Note Access in Melodyne 2 was announced in 08, it hasn't been out yet. But it's a fair bet that it will be amazing! Omnisphere is definitely a contender. I have not had a chance to play with it yet!

casiosk1 wrote:
MCnoone wrote:Zebra 2.3
still the best.
When was 2.3 released? I still have 2.2.
The release candidate came out at the beginning of the month:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 73&start=0

ew
A spectral heretic...

It could be any list, but just make sure and add in your own company's product to hype and pitch it to others under the guise of some kind of "real" effort to identify the named list, as if that was the point. With these, we always get the IK plug, the Zebra plug, etc. Always somebody plugging their product. If there were just some way to strip that kind of thing out of these discussions, but it's impossible.

Chris Hein Horns vol.2

Hardcore Harmonics Prizm would definitely be my top pick for best of 2008. Amazing sounds, tons of modulation capabilities and infinitely expandable. Finally, someone took the ultra-flexible Wusik engine and pushed it close to it's limits. Amazing

Artificial Audio Obelisk. This thing is just a blast to use. The usability and sound of this multi effect makes me want to load up my mac. mac only at the moment. An incredibly creative effect.

Togu Audio Line (TAL) most. Great sounding free synths & effects. i find myself using the Vocoder the most.

Return to “Instruments”