Cubase and it's non replacable dongle

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know this has been discussed to death but as a relatively recent Cubase purchaser I have to clear this up for myself.

As far as I can tell, if my dongle becomes corrupted/broken/lost/stolen/damaged I have to buy Cubase again? Seriously?

I can't even make a backup even if I buy a blank dongle?

Luckily I paid very little money for a used copy of Studio 4 but if i'd paid £400-600 or whatever the retail for Cubase 4 was and my dongle broke i'd have to kill.

Is this really the state of play?

yes
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:yes
Yes, and it's a very hypothetical non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

*looks at dongle*

Yeah: non issue. Looks pretty much indestructible if you don't do crazy things involving chainsaws or explosives near your computer.

:D

DELETED

If your dongle breaks, with the license still on it, then it will be replaced at minimal cost. (the price of the dongle itself) If you lose your dongle, or it get's stolen, then you have to buy a new license. If your dongle was stolen, then you should be able to get your money from the insurance company. That is if you have insurance ...

Fredo

Fredo Gevaert wrote:If your dongle breaks, with the license still on it, then it will be replaced at minimal cost. (the price of the dongle itself) If you lose your dongle, or it get's stolen, then you have to buy a new license. If your dongle was stolen, then you should be able to get your money from the insurance company. That is if you have insurance ...

Fredo
So I can send the dongle to Steinberg for transfer if it gets broken?

And yes I do have insurance!

The reason I ask is that I noticed my 5 month old baby hanging off the dongle last night after I turned my back for 54 nanoseconds. It seems to be working fine but it immediately made me think of backing up the license somewhere.

I dont get it.

Why do they sell dongles seperately then???
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hello,

please have a look to this knowledge base article http://knowledgebase.steinberg.net/96_1.html

Gr,

Chris

Mushy Mushy wrote:I dont get it.

Why do they sell dongles seperately then???
Not only steinberg uses syncrosoft. there are other products that can be used with the dongle.
also, your dongle might get broken and youll need to buy another empty one.

Stomper wrote:Not only steinberg uses syncrosoft. there are other products that can be used with the dongle.
:oops:
Oh yeah of course.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Just make sure your baby doesn't have a chainsaw or a bomb with him!

I seriously hate dongles... I used to have a bunch of products that use dongle copy protection from Cubase to Hypersonic to Culture... ect..

It's a personal security issue for me. As said before, what if the dongle stops working or breaks, what if the company goes under?

I ended up getting rid of all dongled products and saying to myself that I won't get another dongled product again. I recently broke my own rule by purchasing the Korg Legacy collections only because they are THAT good and relatively cheap, but I keep finding myself constantly thinking of that damn dongle. I HATE IT!!!
Last edited by djanthonyw on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

Fredo Gevaert wrote:If your dongle breaks, with the license still on it, then it will be replaced at minimal cost. (the price of the dongle itself) If you lose your dongle, or it get's stolen, then you have to buy a new license. If your dongle was stolen, then you should be able to get your money from the insurance company. That is if you have insurance ...

Fredo
You will not find an insurance that will insure the cost of the licenses - you will only be able to insure the cost of the dongle itself. At least that's my experience.

On my dongle are licenses worth app. $ 3.500,- - actually, this is a scary thought.
daRem - PinkLime Studios

I looked on the Steinberg site and apparently the entire value of the package is in the dongle and not the software itself. Does that mean if somebody downloads a 'version' of Cubase that doesn't require a dongle then they haven't stolen anything?

I know that's not really an argument but their so called policy really does require a bit of thought.

I my dongle was unrecoverably lost/stolen/whatever I would never buy Cubase again.

As was already pointed out if it ever gets broken it will be replaced.
You only have to care not to lose it. How hard is that really? Just don't take it with you when you go swimming.
And remove it from your laptop during the break on your live gig.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”