recommend me a reverb as good as valhalla

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

codec_spurt wrote:http://www.signaldust.com/p-tila2.html

Isn't it time this reverb was entered into the hall of fame?
+1. Not at all versatile but for that ultra-small room, I can't hear it but I know it sounds better trick I've not found anything to match it. All recommendations gratefully received though.

Verbiage, not so much for me. Codec, what do you find it useful for?

On topic, V3 is the only reverb I can listen to 100% wet and LIKE the sound of it. I'm not yet decided if that appealing sound is useful in the context of a mix but it is beguiling.

theodore_whitmore wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:http://www.signaldust.com/p-tila2.html

Isn't it time this reverb was entered into the hall of fame?
+1. Not at all versatile but for that ultra-small room, I can't hear it but I know it sounds better trick I've not found anything to match it. All recommendations gratefully received though.

Verbiage, not so much for me. Codec, what do you find it useful for?

On topic, V3 is the only reverb I can listen to 100% wet and LIKE the sound of it. I'm not yet decided if that appealing sound is useful in the context of a mix but it is beguiling.

Well, I find Verbiage really exceptionally good for vocals. Not quite Lexicon dark, but very dense and unusual. I haven't bought it and my time has run out. I haven't deleted it from my system just in case I go back to those tracks, but I don't do any new tracks with it either. Maybe that is wrong.

Anyway, yeah, vocals. Really gives a magic sheen to the voice. Also, a smidgen on the drums.

But not as good as Tila. :)

Verbiage is a real character reverb. I know the valhalla is more versatile. I'll buy them both when I get the money. They are both superb reverbs.

cheers.

valhallasound wrote:
TheoM wrote:Sascha Evermeister, certainly does :) He is a genius, and i don't mean just reverb. his other suff is even more impressive.
Thanks for the name! Time to add him to the list of reverb designers to watch out for. :lol:

Here's a partial list - feel free to add people:

Sean Costello :D (Valhalla DSP, plus one plugin under contract to the good folks at Audio Damage)
Martin Lind (Warp69, author of CSR, SSL X-Verb, Relab LX480)
Andrew Souter (2CAudio)
Michael Carnes (formerly Lexicon, now Exponential Audio)
Froombosch (not sure of real name, Empty Room Systems)
Jonathan Abel (formerly of Universal Audio, designed EMT140, DreamVerb)
Barry Blesser (original EMT250 designer, consults for Lexicon & UA)
Sascha Evermeister (Samplitude, now U-He)
Anthony Agnello (Eventide, Princeton Digital)
David Griesinger (Lexicon - not sure if he is currently active)
Chris Moore (Ursa Major, AKG, consulted for Kurzweil)
Michael Gerzon (deceased, but theory was crucial for modern reverbs)
Manfred Schroeder (deceased, father of digital reverb theory)
Andy Moorer (important reverb papers in the 1970s)
Julius Smith (CCRMA professor, wrote important papers on FDN and waveguide reverbs)

Sean Costello
For the record, it's Sascha Eversmeier

bk wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
TheoM wrote:Sascha Evermeister, certainly does :) He is a genius, and i don't mean just reverb. his other suff is even more impressive.
Thanks for the name! Time to add him to the list of reverb designers to watch out for. :lol:

Here's a partial list - feel free to add people:

Sean Costello :D (Valhalla DSP, plus one plugin under contract to the good folks at Audio Damage)
Martin Lind (Warp69, author of CSR, SSL X-Verb, Relab LX480)
Andrew Souter (2CAudio)
Michael Carnes (formerly Lexicon, now Exponential Audio)
Froombosch (not sure of real name, Empty Room Systems)
Jonathan Abel (formerly of Universal Audio, designed EMT140, DreamVerb)
Barry Blesser (original EMT250 designer, consults for Lexicon & UA)
Sascha Evermeister (Samplitude, now U-He)
Anthony Agnello (Eventide, Princeton Digital)
David Griesinger (Lexicon - not sure if he is currently active)
Chris Moore (Ursa Major, AKG, consulted for Kurzweil)
Michael Gerzon (deceased, but theory was crucial for modern reverbs)
Manfred Schroeder (deceased, father of digital reverb theory)
Andy Moorer (important reverb papers in the 1970s)
Julius Smith (CCRMA professor, wrote important papers on FDN and waveguide reverbs)

Sean Costello
For the record, it's Sascha Eversmeier
:o

Even though... this IS high and respectable erudition from Sean Costello,
....I''m deeply impressed , sir , and not for the first time to be honest !!!!!!!

:o :)

I'm in RTAS land, and for me, ValhallaRoom and ValhallaVintageVerb will work 90% of the time for any need. If you can't get good sounds, be it rooms or halls or chambers or (digital) plates, you are doing something wrong.

For neutrality, the Exponential Audio Phoenix is probably the best I've heard. Pricier, but worth it if you aren't looking to use reverb as an effect but to put the band "in a room". I like it for acoustic music where everything was isolated or close mic'd.

I also like TSAR-1, which I just bought. But, I honestly think it covers a lot of similar ground to VVV so it might go on the chopping block in favor or something else.

UberMod is also amazing. It's a great stereo widening tool. I demo'd ValhallaRoom when the buzz started to build, and bought the rest of the line up without bothering to listen. Same with when VVV was released.

valhallasound wrote:
I've been thinking about the differences between VRoom and VintageVerb lately. The VRoom algorithms are more complicated than VintageVerb, and use a variety of "modern" topologies. The "thick" sound of VRoom, versus the "clear" sound of VintageVerb, probably has more to do with some fundamental differences of the reverb topologies, versus any aesthetic choices I made during the design process. In the next several months, I want to reflect on why these topologies have fundamental sonic differences, from the perspective of psychoacoutics as well as DSP theory. Hopefully this will lead to some cool extensions of the various topologies. I've been programming reverbs since 1999, and I'm still learning stuff every day.

Sean Costello

Really?

I always thought that VVV sounds a lot thicker than VRoom, while Vroom sounds a lot clearer. Perhaps we mean something completely different by the terms.

In either case, they have a really distinct sound. Valhalla Room can't do thick reverb at all IMHO, while VVV can go thicker than Lexicon where the room size and diffusion is set to max, if you use the Chorushall or randomhall algoirhm. VRoom sounds pretty bright as well.

I generally prefer VVV, it's a bit more versatile. I don't like putting plucked sounds through Vroom too much.

Although I remember hearing a vocal shoot out with a few lexicons and their clones and the Vroom, interestingly the Vroom sounded the best to me. So, application is everything it seems. In the mix it would probably be even better because lexicons can be a bit too dense sometimes.

Have anyone here compared the Lexicons with VVV? They are kind of close, can't say which I like more. (But I can sure tell which price tag I prefer).

I do love to hear more about the Magix reverb and of course the old classic "Stereo room 2016" by eventide. Anyone here have experience with those?

Someone claimed that reflex can sound more "cave like" than shimmer. I have to try that out as well...

Interesting when we see Variverb released separately from Samplitude?

Oden wrote: Have anyone here compared the Lexicons with VVV?
Well, I have. :D

I mostly did comparisons & analysis of the hardware Lexicon reverbs, mainly PCM70, 300M, PCM60, and a bit of 480L. I have an LXP15, but I don't think that I even turned this on during the VintageVerb project.

I did a bit of brief comparison with the Lexicon PCM bundle right when Lexicon announced the price drops. VintageVerb was about to launch, and I hadn't heard the PCM plugins before, so Don Gunn and I did some comparisons. Things were fairly close in quality to our ears. A few of the Lexicon PCM algorithms (Chamber, Plate, Room) are noticeably different sounding than VeeThree and the other PCM plugins, as they use a different allpass delay topology. It stands to reason that I am not an impartial observer in this case.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Oden wrote: Have anyone here compared the Lexicons with VVV?
Well, I have. :D

I mostly did comparisons & analysis of the hardware Lexicon reverbs, mainly PCM70, 300M, PCM60, and a bit of 480L. I have an LXP15, but I don't think that I even turned this on during the VintageVerb project.

I did a bit of brief comparison with the Lexicon PCM bundle right when Lexicon announced the price drops. VintageVerb was about to launch, and I hadn't heard the PCM plugins before, so Don Gunn and I did some comparisons. Things were fairly close in quality to our ears. A few of the Lexicon PCM algorithms (Chamber, Plate, Room) are noticeably different sounding than VeeThree and the other PCM plugins, as they use a different allpass delay topology. It stands to reason that I am not an impartial observer in this case.

Sean Costello
Thank you for an answer, that was partly a rhetorical question, as I have done a comparsion as well (talking about the native version here). I can't remember the exact conclusion, but I remember that they sounded very much alike, but also just slightly different. Kind of like guitar pedal and it's clones, similar sound but just slightly different flavor. I only compared the Random hall algorighms, as I think that's the "one" when it comes to Lex sound. Obviously the controls are quite a bit different, and so is probably the early reflection implementation. Still, very similar sound if I recall correctly.

What's your take on when to use denser modes (Random space, Chorus space) vs. the more defined modes like hall, plate or more or less any mode on the vroom? I am very much aware this is somewhat stupid question, but I often have very hard time deciding. I find many reverbs can not produce that dense tail at all.

Pantheon2 from Lexicon sounds good too

crewtr909 wrote:Pantheon2 from Lexicon sounds good too
LOL :D I hope this is sarcasm... :)

Pantheon was a port of some basic code provided to the Salt Lake facility when the brand was in the process of moving. It was done by a very bright person who was lacking some key information. This was never reviewed by either David Griesinger or me, and unfortunately slipped through without being corrected. It should never have had the Lexicon label.

Michael Carnes wrote: Pantheon ... should never have had the Lexicon label.
We'll call it Mexicon from now on :D

Michael Carnes wrote:
Pantheon was a port of some basic code provided to the Salt Lake facility when the brand was in the process of moving. It was done by a very bright person who was lacking some key information. This was never reviewed by either David Griesinger or me, and unfortunately slipped through without being corrected. It should never have had the Lexicon label.
Oh my goodness it is finally relieving to read this from Mr (well ex) Lex himself. Phew!

Pantheon, lolz. Worst sounding reverb in history after all these years.

Return to “Effects”