Shattered Glass Audio releases SGA1566 - free, circuit simulation powered preamp plug-in

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SGA1566 SGA1566 MkII

audiosabre wrote:
Tp3 wrote:Just properly gain stage it, and it WILL sing beautifully. simple as that
:dog:
Tp3 wrote:Don't let misuse "color" your opinion. try to gain stage it with plugs like Perception, and differences would be night and day.
There you go with the assumption again. I don't have as positive experience as you, so I must be doing something wrong? That's rather rude :roll:

Seems like you're an "expert" on this stuff :clap: :scared:
Sorry if you got offended. I was merely expressing my own experience.

Cheers ! :hug:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

No worries. I was only expressing my experience too :hug:

Tp3 wrote: Well, up until now I was testing it with extremely low content (bass and sub bass that comes from some programs in Microtoniq). I am very strict with driving analog emulations and I gain stage them carefully. but even so (and I haven't tried this yet), you can trim via the EQ, pre process (again, haven't tried this). well, that should be the logic behind it, no ?
I EQ bass most of the time even if I run the plugin clean. Boomy or farty bass annoy the living daylight out of me. The EQ supplied with this plug does the job in most situations.

Tp3 wrote:SGA, I don't know what have you done (naughty naughty ! :lol:) but CPU has been reduced MASSIVELY
The new algorithm is definitely more efficient and there are also number crunching improvements. We did all of our testing with newer processors (i5s and i7s). On the newer processors the performance boost is significant (I have posted a table that shows that for i7).

Your post prompted me to do some testing on an aging Core2 Duo XP running laptop with a crappy audio interface using ASIO4ALL driver. That old dog definitely showed huge improvement, about 4-5x reduction in CPU usage on LOW setting. It looks like the older processors (such as Core 2) should get substantial performance boost with SGA1566 MkII in comparison with SGA1566.

Thanks Tp3 :tu:

SGA wrote:Your post prompted me to do some testing on an aging Core2 Duo XP running laptop with a crappy audio interface using ASIO4ALL driver.
That old dog definitely showed huge improvement, about 4-5x reduction in CPU usage on LOW setting.
Yes, exactly my findings.

But the MID setting also ain't too shabby !... :eek:

SGA wrote:It looks like the older processors (such as Core 2) should get substantial performance boost with SGA1566 MkII in comparison with SGA1566.

Thanks Tp3 :tu:
No, thank YOU :tu:

it would be nice if one could set a certain state to be the default one (eg. x4 OS with MID CPU), but it's not a biggie....
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

How can one know about updates to the plug ? the latest version bares the same date as former ones, yet it is newer...
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:How can one know about updates to the plug ? the latest version bares the same date as former ones, yet it is newer...
If you hover the mouse over the Shattered Glass Audio logo in the bottom left corner The tooltip will show up with the information on the plug-in including the version and to whom the plug-in is registered.

Regarding dates, versions, and performance.... We didn't change SGA1566 MkII after the announcement of the release. If you have the other installer you can install that version and binary diff, or fc, the dll's (assuming you are running Windows). The diff should show no difference. Or you can do a binary diff on installers themselves. Could it be that there was something else running that was using up the CPU? Also, under Windows if you run the plug-in with the power scheme set to Balanced the CPU use can show quite different readings from one run to the next. Setting the power scheme to High Performance will make the CPU readings repeatable.

SGA wrote:
Tp3 wrote:How can one know about updates to the plug ? the latest version bares the same date as former ones, yet it is newer...
If you hover the mouse over the Shattered Glass Audio logo in the bottom left corner The tooltip will show up with the information on the plug-in including the version and to whom the plug-in is registered.
Hovering over the Shattered Glass Audio logo gives (me) the Shattered Glass Audio url...

Maybe a better may should be considered ?...
SGA wrote:Regarding dates, versions, and performance.... We didn't change SGA1566 MkII after the announcement of the release. If you have the other installer you can install that version and binary diff, or fc, the dll's (assuming you are running Windows). The diff should show no difference. Or you can do a binary diff on installers themselves. Could it be that there was something else running that was using up the CPU? Also, under Windows if you run the plug-in with the power scheme set to Balanced the CPU use can show quite different readings from one run to the next. Setting the power scheme to High Performance will make the CPU readings repeatable.
Well, MkII was on my wait list... but the initial version was not good on my CPU.
but then - on some certain day that I re-downloaded the plug - it changed (AFAICR - placebo ?).

AW.... nevermind. as long as it works on my daw as expected, me happy.
"[Heat]Dissipation" shall be thy name :oops: (or : "HEATher iLok-Clear" :D :lol:)

You didn't answer, though, if its possible - at all - to set the default CPU behavior (CPU+OS) as a permanent attribute.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote: Hovering over the Shattered Glass Audio logo gives (me) the Shattered Glass Audio url...

I meant hovering the mouse over the logo on the plug-in will give you the information of the version you are currently running.
Tp3 wrote: You didn't answer, though, if its possible - at all - to set the default CPU behavior (CPU+OS) as a permanent attribute.
Sorry, missed that question. Currently there is no way to change the defaults. You can create a preset though. I know it's not the same but it is a viable alternative.

SGA wrote:
Tp3 wrote: Hovering over the Shattered Glass Audio logo gives (me) the Shattered Glass Audio url...

I meant hovering the mouse over the logo on the plug-in will give you the information of the version you are currently running.
Doh :dog: Silly me 8)
SGA wrote:
Tp3 wrote: You didn't answer, though, if its possible - at all - to set the default CPU behavior (CPU+OS) as a permanent attribute.
Sorry, missed that question. Currently there is no way to change the defaults. You can create a preset though. I know it's not the same but it is a viable alternative.
Yea, it is (plus, one can clone - in Cubase at least - instances across numerous inserts).
again, no biggie.

Cheers !
(Gabe Dumbbell)

How do you get SGA1566 to work on Windows 7 64bit? Getting crash every time plugin scan is run.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:How do you get SGA1566 to work on Windows 7 64bit? Getting crash every time plugin scan is run.
I am wondering this too. I've searched everywhere and the dev says "update Windows." I am completely up-to-date and 0 available updates remain. I've also uninstalled all versions of Microsoft Visual Studio redistributables that I had. I downloaded the most up-to-date version of each release and reinstalled from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003

Does anyone know what else I need to do in order to get this to run? This is the only plugin out of hundreds I've ever tried that needs something special to get it working. I've probably already got 3+ hours of uninstalling/reinstalling/rebooting invested. :x

Thanks,
Nick

Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Working here on 8.1 64bit
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”