KingKorg vs. Studiologic Sledge 2.0

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

but overpriced as usual in Hartmann style. 20,000 euro is just ridiculous any way you look at it. I can guarantee you now even if only 20 are made, it will never re sell for that and will lose money like a car, the moment it is taken out of it's box.

20.000 €??? Jeez. Wise to only manufacture 40 pieces i guess. I really wonder who buys such stuff. Nice design portfolio there though.
Here are a few of the synths that Hartmann has designed previously:
◾Waldorf synths, including the MicroWave, Wave, Blofeld and others;
◾the Alesis Andromeda Analog Synthesizer;
◾the Hartmann Neuron;
◾the Access Virus Polar;
◾the Moog Little Phatty and Minimoog Voyager XL;
◾Arturia’s Origin, Spark & MiniBrute;
◾the StudioLogic Sledge; and
◾the Schmidt Analog Synthesizer.
They all look really nice IMO.

chk071 wrote:20.000 €??? Jeez. Wise to only manufacture 40 pieces i guess. I really wonder who buys such stuff. Nice design portfolio there though.
Here are a few of the synths that Hartmann has designed previously:
◾Waldorf synths, including the MicroWave, Wave, Blofeld and others;
◾the Alesis Andromeda Analog Synthesizer;
◾the Hartmann Neuron;
◾the Access Virus Polar;
◾the Moog Little Phatty and Minimoog Voyager XL;
◾Arturia’s Origin, Spark & MiniBrute;
◾the StudioLogic Sledge; and
◾the Schmidt Analog Synthesizer.
They all look really nice IMO.
Well, I hear they're going to do a special edition Largo with a black skin and sell it for $5,000 and it'll be unlimited. :clown:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

stop moaning skimpy gits and start saving money. hurry up as i am grabbing two of them ;)

The Sledge IMHO has a sweeter PPG filter mode than the Blofeld. Of course you access the PPG filter mode via cc.

Knowing Waldorf I'd bet it's 100% the same code... the difference is most likely in the output stage (converters, etc.) and internal differences in gain staging, and so on..

I just received my Black Sledge a few days ago, w/ver 2.2 OS installed, and 208 factory presets, which are mostly average, but some are quite nice, and a few are really cool, actually. I tend to be prefer 'bass' heavy.

I absolutely LOVE IT! Kicked out a dozen+ presets in minutes. Well o.k., maybe an hour, but it seemed like minutes. 8)

{aside} I had an opportunity to test a yellow one that arrived at a local shop the day before mine was to be shipped, and the keyboard action was so off-putting (for me) that I seriously considered canceling the deal.

But, by the time I got home and logged on to discuss that concern, it had been shipped. I really stressed with buyers remorse, and over having to ship it back ($100+ FedEx ground), until ~ I touched it. :D NIGHT & DAY difference between the two, from my (admittedly, keyboard-action snob) perspective. [2c]
johnrule wrote: Besides, I'll never forgive Korg for the Oasys pci :?
Neither will I, when they decided to not provide drivers for Windows Xp, and then seemingly within a few months (****ing) Apple pulled the plug on Apple "clone" manufacturers licensing, and killed future compatibility, which left me with Korg R&D's Oasys PCI SDK (Mac only), and no future for my 3x (that would be THREE!) Oasys PCI cards, unless I bought a real Mac, as a dongle for them. :borg:

Nevertheless, I still have and cherish my DW-8000 (w/expansion), and Karma.
zaphod betamax wrote:Also I have some youtubes on the Sledge:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWoh8i ... ybq22LD6rA
Nice vids. :tu: I can confirm your GUI glitches. no +/- 48, -2, etc... same/same.
johnrule wrote: ... You can load these patches into the Studiologic app and send them, or you can try my patch librarian ( I have some enhancements that you should like ).
I assume this is part of your "RTE-3"? Does it give the same parameters/CC (etc) access that the Blofeld connection apparently does?
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Congtatulations with your new Black Sledge.
Hope you'll review further when you get to play around with it :-)

Can you assign velocity to cutoff on the Sledge now? I recall seeing a Sonic State review of the original where you couldn't, which I found to be a weird omission.

K-Bee wrote:Congtatulations with your new Black Sledge.
Thank you. :) I haven't loaded the software yet, to see where that will take me, but off-hand, I do wish the 2-way pots had indents @ zero, and a greater lag-time between when the screen is showing your adjustments being made, and when it returns to the menu/preset view, as you have to turn the knob again, to continue. It IS handy that it shows the 'old' (original) and 'new' (what you're doing) values. Other than that, so far, I've always loved the "Waldorf" sound, and this thing makes my sub scream with joy.

I am way pleased I can load samples/wavetables like I used to with numerous Akai, Ensoniq, and Roland, sampling KB's, which was its major appeal for me, and have longed for this weekend to experiment. :D

As I've stated elsewhere, the pics don't do it justice, as the body is not "gray", but a finely textured-black, which makes it look "mattish-black" compared to the shiny gloss-black keys, semi-gloss knobs and dark matt-black panel. It is really strikingly cool lookin', IMO (except for the not-quite-pumkin/sweet potato-orange knobs, which will be replaced asap).
tehlord wrote:Can you assign velocity to cutoff on the Sledge now? I recall seeing a Sonic State review of the original where you couldn't, which I found to be a weird omission.
Supposedly, and I am positive I did it once, to respond to your query, though I have yet to be able to do so again :? nor could I find it as an option in the menu.

The following article says you can, but doesn't elaborate, and it appears the less than remarkable downloadable PDF manual (note: the one that came on disk with the machine, was a CD-RW, that was blank) has yet to be updated to the current ver. 2.2, as it states a couple of things which have since changed, e.g.: "16 voice", not 24, etc.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/st ... ynth/53709
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Thank you. :) I haven't loaded the software yet, to see where that will take me, but off-hand, I do wish the 2-way pots had indents @ zero, and a greater lag-time between when the screen is showing your adjustments being made, and when it returns to the menu/preset view, as you have to turn the knob again, to continue.
Not sure if this addresses your lag-time issue, but I saw this in the manual:
Global Parameters, p.39
"Display Time: this function controls the time of the display
showing a certain function, before going back to the main
display real-time page (values from 1 to 4 seconds)"

bg wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:
Thank you. :) I haven't loaded the software yet, to see where that will take me, but off-hand, I do wish the 2-way pots had indents @ zero, and a greater lag-time between when the screen is showing your adjustments being made, and when it returns to the menu/preset view, as you have to turn the knob again, to continue.
Not sure if this addresses your lag-time issue, but I saw this in the manual:
Global Parameters, p.39
"Display Time: this function controls the time of the display
showing a certain function, before going back to the main
display real-time page (values from 1 to 4 seconds)"
YES!!! I reset it from default 2, to 4-sec, which is great.

Thank you, sooo much. 8)

:tu:

bg wrote::tu:
Well, as a follow-up... the 'lag' setting is apparently bidirectional. :dog:
It now takes 4-seconds for the screen to show a readout of any changes being made.
:hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”