Cubase or StudioOne?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

daw.one wrote:
EnGee wrote:Anyway, in real world why I should run Cubase and S1 at the same time?
To confirm or deny additional latency when playing a VST Instrument. :)
EnGee wrote:Anyway, I'll try your method just to see, but I think I read somewhere that the latency normally increases when you run two hosts.
I never experienced that. I often have Audition or Wavelab open when working in Cubase and it does not affect Cubase's latency. But if it is actually true, it would be nice know which host will be affected
EnGee wrote:Studio One is worst, as it refuses to load the Midi keyboard (Blofeld in this case). So, sorry I can't perform your test project with Cubase and S1 in the same time.
That's a shame. But thanks for trying!
EnGee wrote:Do you have a latency when you open just one host (Studio One)?
Yes, when doing the thorough test across five hosts (viewtopic.php?p=6687749#p6687749), I used them one by one.
Sorry to chime in.
The audio card latency is fixed via the driver and OS - some hosts introduce "compensation" to synchronise tracks when playing a VST instrument along with plugins. Cubase was the 1st btw.
Hosts like Wavelab - which really are audio editors, have no need for this.
To test the effect of this delay, switch off the compensation in the host itself.(A button visible in the arrangement window)

KoisanX wrote:Sorry to chime in.
The audio card latency is fixed via the driver and OS - some hosts introduce "compensation" to synchronise tracks when playing a VST instrument along with plugins. Cubase was the 1st btw.
Hosts like Wavelab - which really are audio editors, have no need for this.
To test the effect of this delay, switch off the compensation in the host itself.(A button visible in the arrangement window)
I test with VST Instruments that don't introduce additional latency. So disabling PDC entirely would not make any difference.

That being said, there's no button to entirely disable PDC in Cubase. There's a button to constrain PDC by deactivating plugins that exceed a user threshold and recalculate the total project latency.

In Studio One however you can "ignore plug-in latency", which like it says, ignores latency introduced by plugin-ins completely. Not surprisingly when I enable the latter in my tests, the result is the same because there's nothing to ignore.

dzilizzi wrote:
killmaster wrote:For me, if Studio One had note expression or some other MPE type implementation and had chord track type functionality, I would never use Cubase. I think if you are just starting out with a DAW, Studio one is much more intuitive. But, I want MPE and chord tracks so I use Cubase instead. Just my personal thing.
They have some kind of keep in key thing. I started to play with it a bit today. This is the first time I've really run S1. It is a little different but so much easier to use than Cubase. Cubase runs very inconsistently for me. And it always wants to set up busses instead of direct inputs and outputs. Which is weird because when you go to device setup, it shows direct ins and outs. The manual is also confusing because it uses different terms than other DAWs for things.

But Cubase has chord track. It is the reason I bought it. For someone who can't play an instrument but understands basic theory, it can be a lifesaver. If S1 got a chord track? I would dump Cubase so fast.

i recently got Liquid Music. It has a lot of the chord track functionality and might work as a chord track replacement. I've played with it a bit. You can drag and drop the midi after you get it the way you want it - it stays in key and you can set the chords at the top like the chord track. I think if it is set up right, you can just leave the chords at the top and do each midi part. I need to work with it some more.
Thanks for tip on Liquid Music! Also, I don't know what you mean keep in key. I can't find anything about that. Is it part of the harmonizer?

killmaster wrote:
dzilizzi wrote:
killmaster wrote:For me, if Studio One had note expression or some other MPE type implementation and had chord track type functionality, I would never use Cubase. I think if you are just starting out with a DAW, Studio one is much more intuitive. But, I want MPE and chord tracks so I use Cubase instead. Just my personal thing.
They have some kind of keep in key thing. I started to play with it a bit today. This is the first time I've really run S1. It is a little different but so much easier to use than Cubase. Cubase runs very inconsistently for me. And it always wants to set up busses instead of direct inputs and outputs. Which is weird because when you go to device setup, it shows direct ins and outs. The manual is also confusing because it uses different terms than other DAWs for things.

But Cubase has chord track. It is the reason I bought it. For someone who can't play an instrument but understands basic theory, it can be a lifesaver. If S1 got a chord track? I would dump Cubase so fast.

i recently got Liquid Music. It has a lot of the chord track functionality and might work as a chord track replacement. I've played with it a bit. You can drag and drop the midi after you get it the way you want it - it stays in key and you can set the chords at the top like the chord track. I think if it is set up right, you can just leave the chords at the top and do each midi part. I need to work with it some more.
Thanks for tip on Liquid Music! Also, I don't know what you mean keep in key. I can't find anything about that. Is it part of the harmonizer?
for Articulation in studio One, you could try that :
http://narechk.net/studioonex/index_en.html
:o

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”